“Terrible”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Sydney Australia
“Terrible”
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Stayed here as part of our Cosmos tour. The place was TERRIBLE!!! As part of this tour we stayed in 10 different hotels and this was by far the worst.

To start, the room smelt so bad that it took half an hour of standing on the verandah with the door open before we could go inside. Then the room itself was dirty and covered in dust. The bed had cobwebs and layers of dust hanging from it.

If it we had not been part of a tour group that was staying here we would have taken our bags and left.

Room Tip: Don't go here!!
  • Stayed May 2011
6 Thank annabelle2904
INNSofCalifornia, General Manager at INNS of California-Sonora, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
While I wish you had enjoyed your stay, I would like to apologize and thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our property.

It is our responsibility to be aware of problems and make sure they are corrected before you arrive. While we may not always catch them in time, please know that we will do everything we can to make sure you are happy with your stay. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you are ever unhappy or you experience a problem with your room. We want to know so we can fix it and turn your stay around. We would be more then happy to move you to a room that is to your liking.

I have taken your concerns to my staff and we will use your comments to improve the quality of our rooms. Our goal is to be the best hotel on your route!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2011

We had a change of plans and were looking for accomodation in the Yosemite region at short notice. The INNS of California was a great price and ticked all the boxes. We arrived later than we expected and drove into Sonora from Mariposa on sunset/dusk. Beautiful drive in if you are into scenery over 3000ft and without guard rails! Beautiful but pleased to arrive.
Our check-in was easy our room was located in the Gold Rush building, the room was a little smelly when we entered and the heater, when turned on, also smelt of dust so we just assumed our room hadn't been opened in a while. We slept well and warm which was exactly what we were after. Free Wi-fi a bonus.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank aussie_possie
Mariposa, California
Reviewed December 7, 2010

The maid opened the door without knocking fairly early in the morning. When she saw we were still in bed she was nice enough to leave. We were loading the suitcase in the car and going to have breakfast when she came back and started cleaning before we checked out.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank miner95338
INNSofCalifornia, Manager at INNS of California-Sonora, responded to this review, December 22, 2010
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at our property. It is because of guest like yourself and your helpful comments that we are able to improve on providing great customer service to our guests.

I apologize that your stay was interrupted by our housekeeping staff. I am looking into the matter and want to assure you that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We stayed here on the way from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe.

The hotel is on three floors, spread over 2 buildings, one with the reception and a swimming pool and hot tub and one with just rooms, they are situated either side of the car park.

The rooms were bitterly cold - AC - when we arrived but soon warmed up, there were two double beds and just enough room round the beds, the bathroom was large, with a walk in shower. Both were clean.

There was a coffee machine and coffee/tea in the bathroom.

Free wifi which worked great.

The swimming pool wasn't a bad size and the hot tub was surprisingly hot!

Breakfast was in the reception where you were provided with cardboard trays to take it back to your room. There was juice, coffee, tea, cereal, muffins, bagels, a toaster and yoghurts.

This is a good place to stop for the night

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Saral
Thank you for your review on our property. We appreciate your feedback so we can focus on improving. I apologize that we set the A/C too high for your arrival. We will reconsider our temperature levels. We hope you will stop by and see us on your next visit to our area.
Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I chose Inn's of California Sonora because I needed internet access during my vacation, even if that implied paying a premium.

On the second day, the internet breaks down. I call the lobby and they say that it is working in the lobby. I explain that the lobby is probably not wireless, but they just say they will reboot the server, nothing works more. I am also told another customer complained about it. My spouse has another laptop with another operating system that also stopped working at the same time. I call multiple times and they finally ask me to call customer service for internet. This cannot do any good since the problem is with their wireless router. In desperation, I call the internet numbre, it does not even respond!

After two days of complaining, the attendant finally recognizes the problem and tells me that they will send maintenance but only on the next day. I explain to him that my previous requests were simply ignored. The only thing that the hotel offers in compensation is to give me an extra night at a "discount" fare of $50 ! The hotel is not full so they hope to give bad service and make extra money on it ! I told him that this could not do but nothing else was done. This "gesture" which I found offensive was the proposal of the 'manager' so this seems to be a policy from the chain.

I am extremely unhappy with the hotel. The staff was not helpful, not responsive to the problems, and not even trying to make a commercial gesture. There isn't even a email address where one can send complaints so obviously they do not care about their client. I forgot to mention, the Spa was broken and the breakfast is just some milk, some flakes and a danish with some terrible coffee, with no tables and all food taken out at 9am sharp.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeremy_travels
INNSofCalifornia, Manager at INNS of California-Sonora, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
I apologize for not meeting your expectations. We strive to make sure that each and every guest has an enjoyable experience at our property. Please know that we are taking your feedback seriously so we can focus on improving our service.

I regret that you had problems with our internet during your stay. To answer your question, yes, the lobby internet is also on the same wireless service. We also have a 24-hour help desk if you ever experience any problems in the future.

I apologize that there seems to have been a miscommunication about a proposal of compensation. I regret that we didn’t have the opportunity to talk during your stay so that we could have discussed your concerns before you left. Please know that we are very much available to our customers. I can be reached directly at 209.532.3633 or by email at innscal@sbcglobal.net. All of our guests are also welcome to fill out a comment card which is supplied inside each room and at the front counter. Great customer service is our main priority.
Reviewed May 28, 2010

We got to this hotel in the middle of the night after running away from another terrible hotel booked by friends for us. The desk person was so accomodating and even apologized for the other hotel. She gave us a discounted rate on a huge room with a spa tub that was just a wonderful room. We appreciated her kindness after our earlier experience and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank tztater
INNSofCalifornia, General Manager at INNS of California-Sonora, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again!
San Jose
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Awesome staff and rooms.....staff was very helpful with our requests and very understanding (we had 5 children).......we needed a room on the ground floor cuz of gues with a bad foot. Rooms were very clean and everything just looked great. The only complaint I had would be the water pressure for the shower. And that the coffee maker is in the bathroom. Other than that.....I will definitely be staying at this hotel again. Other reviews said you could here the traffic if you stayed in the front....But I didnt hear anything.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank kkhammell
INNSofCalifornia, General Manager at INNS of California-Sonora, responded to this review, February 9, 2010
Thank you for your comments. I’m glad you had a nice stay. I am looking into the issue with the water pressure and we should have it fixed by your next visit. I’m glad the staff was helpful and able to accommodate your request. We hope to see you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
#5 of 8 in Sonora
Rodeway Inn Sonora
Rodeway Inn Sonora
#6 of 8 in Sonora

Been to INNS of California-Sonora? Share your experiences!