“Avoid at all costs.”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Salida, California
“Avoid at all costs.”
Reviewed June 23, 2010

Being originally from Sonora, I am aware of the lack of dining establishments this small town has. Recently visiting friends, we decided on Gus' Steak House. What a horrible mistake. The wait staff was rude. Menus were sticky and the booth we sat in was dirty on the seats. Thefondue was ok, but the breat was very hard. Our four meals all completely different tasted...well they had no specific taste. The bbq sauce tasted like ketchup, the chicken fried steak tasted like fish. The chicken scallopini had absolutely no flavor, tasted like it was poached in a microwave. None of us finished our meals and when the waiter asked if everything was ok we said can we just have the bill. When asked if we wanted boxes we all said no. I wouldn't even bring the leftovers to my dogs. The waiter apologized and said he would have the owner come and talk to us, which we really didnt want at this point. I guess that was a good thing, cuz the owner never came out.

Save your money and head to the Willow in Jamestown. Better food, service and atmosphere. Never again will I go to Gus'.

1 Thank Stasia74

Sonora
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This place is crap!”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Very rude waitresses. The food was not good at all. We had the "Chef's Special" it was tri-tip pieces in a gravy (that had lumps!!) with mushrooms that looked like throw up. The waitresses do not smile or make you feel welcome at all. I will never go here again. I recommend a lot of places to my customers and this place will never be recommended actually I will tell them never to go here!

1 Thank Jocelynsuzanne
Calif
“Try elsewhere”
Reviewed July 14, 2009

If you want a very average experience this might work for you. Very 70's in design and food. If you don't expect much you might like. Once was enough for me.

1 Thank manoftravelCalif
Rancho Murieta
“Gus's Sonora Steakhouse”
Reviewed March 22, 2009

My wife and had dinner at Gus's in Sonora last Friday night and overall we were pleased with the experience. The exterior of the building does not represent this establishment well at all, but when you venture inside you will be in a classic...although dated...typical steakhouse atmoshere. The service we received was excellent including Gus , the owner ,checking with us twice to make sure we were satisfied. Nice touch. My wife ordered the petite fillet and I had the blackened prime rib and both of our meals were substantail and very tasteful. As I mention earlier the decor is extremely dated and the main dining room feels a little cramped, but overall it was a positive experience for us and we would not hesitate to return.