“A Very Delightful Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sonora
Barretta Gardens Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 10 Sonora B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 18, 2005

I had never stayed at this inn and was somewhat apprehensive because of the change in ownership as reported by an earlier review. Not to worry. The present owners are making some great improvements, including a new patio area with a barbecue. Danny cooks a wonderful full breakfast or you can let the owners know you have special dietary needs and Astrid works out the details. We accepted the offer to have our breakfast on the porch outside our suite and it was a delightful experience. The food was great and the service first class. The only problem we encountered was the noise from the highway, but this is likely a problem no matter where you stay in Sonora because it is a small town in a gorge bisected by a busy street.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank Briefcase

Reviewed August 17, 2005

It was 104 degrees during the day but walking into the air conditioned Victorian was an extremely pleasant place to call home for a weekend. My room was clean and the bed was great. It was difficult to leave the room for the king size bed and great movies swallowed me up. The breakfast which is part of this whole experience was fabulous. Yummy poached eggs and fresh fruit with yogurt. Since I am a vegetarian it can be hard eating out but one of the new owners is Swedish and she was quite conscious of vegetarian alternatives. Those fake sausages are my favorite and I was happy to learn that the new owners are interested in organics and serving food from the local area. I even got organic tea!! Can't wait to go back in the winter and marinate in one of those whirlpool baths!

2  Thank bodysong
Reviewed August 15, 2005

I just read the bad review of this Bed & Breakfast written in June. How unfortunate of the writer to have expected certain owners and not be able to see the wonderful and positive things the new owners have to offer.
I love to go to Bed & Breakfast spots all over Northern California. This one was one of my favorites. For a long birthday weekend my wife and I stayed at this terrific location in July of 2005. The owners did let us know that they had only recently taken over. Perhaps that's why they seemed to work even harder to make our experience a memorable one.
We arrived without reservations on a Friday and chose the largest room with the sun porch and whirlpool for two. It's a delightful room with wonderful antique furniture and a tempur-pedic bed. Danny, one of the owners, made a quick reservation at a local steakhouse for us and drove us to the restaurant himself as it was closing soon. We made it in time and had a nice leisurely dinner. Following that we had cocktails nearby and returned to the inn quite late. As it turns out, Danny had come back to town and searched for us in order to drive us back to the inn. He was worried that my wife might have a hard time walking the few blocks uphill to the inn. In my book that's good service.
There were fresh cookies each afternoon. The breakfast was delicious all three days that we are there. The property is a delight and it's close to town so you can walk down and check out the little antique shops and stores. I will definitely be back and I wish Astrid and Danny the best of luck in their new endeavor.

4  Thank 63brandon
Athens Greece
Reviewed August 14, 2005

My husband and I are from Athens Greece.
On our travels to Los Angeles to visit relatives we stayed at Barretta Gardens.
We were warmly greeted by Danny and Astrid.
I found our room warm and charming. My husband was able to keep up with Wall St, with the internet access in our room.
We tryed the hazelnut coffee which was waiting for us in the morning outside our door, such nice service.
My husband really enjoyed the French toast, I found the eggs benedict quit tasty.
This is a great place to spend romantic time together.
We will be back

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed June 14, 2005

We booked reservations at the Barretta Garden Inn specifically because of all the wonderful things we had heard about Sally and Brueno. As winners of the 2005 best chef award, we had high expectations for both the breakfast and the afternoon tea at the Inn.

However, when we arrived, we learned that the Inn had been purchased and the new owners had recently taken over.

We were very disappointed with the tea. There was no hot water available for tea or hot chocolate. We we asked about this, we were told that there was no plug available for the hot pot. (This struck me as odd, as not more than 5 feet away was a kitchen with many pots that water could easily have been boiled in). The wonderful homemade cookies had been replaced by store bought cookies, which was very dissappointing. After all, we didn't come here to eat things we could have bought at the grocery store for under $4. Fresh fruit was available, which was in season, ripe, and delicious.

Our expectations for breakfast were high, because of everything we had heard about sally and Bruno. We hoped that the Inn would continue to serve Bruno’s pastries (as he and Sally run a bakery downtown) and were disappointed that this was no longer part of breakfast. When I asked about this, the Inn Keepers did promise to order in some for the next morning, which was nice.

Breakfast was okay. The fruit was delicious, as were the scones. The egg dish was rather bland, with an unusual texture that we didn't care for and the potatoes were burnt.

Tea the second day was the same as the first, except that the cookies and fruit had not been replaced from the day before. The cookies were stale, there was not much fruit left, and there (again) was no hot water.

We were also disappointed by the service. While our bed was made and our bathroom was cleaned, our dirty drinking glasses and wine glasses were left in the room. We ended up taking our dishes to the kitchen ourselves and helping ourselves to new ones.

I WOULD not recommend coming to this Inn. Given time, perhaps the new owners will learn what it takes to be a good bed and breakfast, but until this happens (and people post about it) I would avoid this Inn.

If you visit Sonora, do stop by Sally and Bruno’s Bakery. Bruno makes his own croissants and quiches from scratch each day (he is from France and uses authentic recipes) and Sally makes the most incredible scones.

Their Bakery is called Bon Appetit, and they are as friendly, warm, and wonderful as all the reviews have said. Spending lunch chatting with them and tasting all their wonderful food made up for the horrific experience we had at their former Inn (The Barretta Inn)

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 16, 2004

My bad habit (okay, one of my bad habits) is that I always intend to take the time to write as often about the positives as the negatives. But when I return to real life after a get-away, unless truly motivated, time usually lapses until the moment of relevancy has passed. Unfortunately, when I am motivated it usually comes in the form of writing as therapy to purge myself of a negative experience. I am pleased in this case, to relive a wonderful experience from early last September. That experience was a notable weekend with my husband at the Barretta Gardens. I heartily concur with previous “tripadvisor” reviewers about the remarkable food, comfortable and attractive accommodations, and down to earth hosts Sally and Bruno. What has stuck with me most was the total attention to detail with thoughtful surprises at every turn. There wasn’t one thing for which we could have wished that Sally had not already anticipated. From a wonderful collection of movies, to a music CD in French, to yummy smelling soaps, to a wireless Internet connection, to badminton in the garden–whatever your mode of relaxation, there was an outlet for all types. We enjoyed the other guests at breakfast (in spite of it being election year, the conversation was great fun) and hope to return. Of course, Bruno’s croissants are le plus magnifique and if I recall correctly, his bakery in town should be open soon. How lucky for Sonora! Merci, Bruno & Sally.

2  Thank 2JuJu2
London, UK
Reviewed October 23, 2004

If you're staying in Sonora, we found this place to be excellent. Bruno and Sally are wonderful hosts and the breakfast was fantastic with Bruno's homemade croissants. We chose to stay in the room called Isabelle complete with jacuzzi bath for two. Very comfortable and very relaxing and highly recommended. We're only sorry we had booked to stay just one night.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
Best Western Plus Sonora Oaks Hotel & Conference Center
Jamestown Hotel
Jamestown Hotel
#1 of 6 in Jamestown
Bradford Place Inn and Gardens

Been to Barretta Gardens Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!