“Plug your nose!”
Review of The Gold Lodge

The Gold Lodge
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Sonora
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Stayed at the Gold Lodge while doing a festival in December. Kind of cute on the outside right? Wrong, Changed the first room, The odor was so bad it actually brought tears to my eyes. Smelled like Cheap carpet deoderizer covering up stinky smelly feet. Had to be shown the special knack of how to work the heating system. Yikes! Second room I was moved to.....Vertical Blinds with tape on them holding them together. You could see through the slates so I hung clothes in front of the window. Rooms from probably 1960's Never updated or carpet changed. Spill marks on the walls. Hypodermic needle between the wall and the Vanity....This place should be shut down. All other Hotels were booked in the area had to stay. UGG! Slept with one eye open.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank CINDERELLASTRUNK

Reviewed June 27, 2010

It's already been said, but the place is a DUMP! We made the mistake of arriving in Sonora late without a reservation during an event weekend. We got the room and immediately went out to eat without checking the room. By the time we got back it was very late and there was no where else to go. If we hadn't been travelling in a very, very small car we would have chosen to sleep in it. Seriously, stay elsewhere. This place is bad, bad, bad!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2010

We were on our road trip from San francisco to Yosimite park after driveing all day we thought we should find somwere to sleep before going on to the park
so we pulled into Sonora,nice little town
We booked into the Gold Lodge just outside the town.
We got the key to the room walked in and o my god
air con unit was falling off the wall there was a smell about the place floor was dirty
and the bathroom well i wouldnt wash my dog in it.
all i can say is dont book into this one

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2010

If this was the last hotel, we would sleep in our car! We arrived late after an event, but our room was so creepy we left and found another hotel in town.Old cast iron heater full of dirt/cobwebs, spiders on wall, peeling beat-up furniture, totally old and creepy! High priced because across from fairgrounds, but absolutely not worth it! Even though we didn't sleep there, only gave us 1 night refund. The offer breakfast, but after seeing the condition of the room, no way would I eat any food there!

Reviewed August 4, 2009

The lodge was affordable but i was disappointed with the room my husband and i were in. The air conditioner was in like a closet with a fan in front of it and it wasn't cooling that well. The carpet had seen better days and the windows didn't open so you could get fresh air at night. My daughter and her family stayed there two and had a room on the front side of the lodge and it was nicer than ours. I did like the fact that it was close to town.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2009

This is the first time I've ever been sooooo upset about a place that I felt I needed to write a review. I called and made reservations a week in advance for a " king" room, nothing available.. "OK", Ill take the new "Jr. suite". It has two Queens, micro , frig, and table with two chairs......sounds pretty good, especially for $99 plus $20 for my yorkie. The morning of my check-in, I get a phone call from Carmen saying that they have a "Queen" room with all the same things but more floor space and less $.....I let her change us to that room, everyone can use a few extra $s on vacation..........OH MY GOD! We get there about 9pm, drove up from Sunnyvale on Saturday, Memorial weekend and what a surprize. The room had the odor of bug spray, the bedspread and blankets were so stained that my husband took them off the bed. We got the quilt we take with us for picnics out of our car and used it. There was NO frig and NO table and chairs and the room was SOOO small . We were in the "back" building which was so dark that I could'nt see outside without using a flashlight. I thought maybe someone made a mistake so we walked up to the office and asked if they were sure we were in the right room.....No mistake, this was our room!!!!! I asked that at least they turn on the outside lights. At 2am we were woke up by veryy loud, fowl mouthed drunks in the parking lot. after about 20 minutes my husband asked that be quite to no avail. I calied the office, the night clerk called the room...Nothing!!!! At 3:30 I called the office and threatened to call the police. The night clerk came back to the parking lot and told them to "be quiet". Needless to say, I didn't stay for our second reserved night.....But I did get charged $25 for not staying!!!! So, do yourself a really big favor ....DO NOT stay at the Gold Lodge!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrspeck152
Reviewed April 16, 2009

Good solid value at a no frills motel. The staff was helpful - gave good advice on restaurants, helped with a problem , served a nice breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RoaminHome
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonora
INNS of California-Sonora
#4 of 8 in Sonora
Travelodge Angels Camp CA
Travelodge Angels Camp CA
#3 of 5 in Angels Camp

Been to The Gold Lodge? Share your experiences!