“Hole in the wall but DELICIOUS!”
Review of Taste of Himalayas

Taste of Himalayas
Ranked #37 of 123 Restaurants in Sonoma
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Hole in the wall but DELICIOUS!”
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I'd never had Himalayan food and I couldn't tell you what exactly I ate. I sort of pointed to something that was spelled interestingly on the menu since I didn't know what any of it was. My husband and I ordered different things and both were amazing. It was kind of a cross between Indian, Ethopian, and Thai food. If you like any of those, you'll love this place. We sat outside kind of in the alley, not a sketchy alley, but more of a small street that doesn't allow cars. Think European. There's an Irish bar (Murphy's) across the little alley and it was fun watching the people in there play trivia and mingle. Our server was incredibly nice and she was the daughter of the cook. Not great English, but she really tried and honestly the food spoke for itself. We never had to wait for a refill, she was on top of everything. We asked her lots of questions and she tried her best to relate the food to "American" tastes, but as the food is so different, it was hard for her. She seemed to enjoy her job and chatting with the customers. The lady who cooks looks like she just hopped off of the boat from Tibet, she clearly knows how to cook! She doesn't speak any English, or didn't to us anyway, but she gave us a welcoming smile as she slaved away in the kitchen. I had the feeling that she was welcoming us into her own home and then working her butt off to make sure it was all amazing. What a woman!
They had two beers from the Himalayas. We tried both and loved both. It made us want to go climb Everest just to get more of the food

2 Thank Tiffany S

Scottsdale, AZ
“Good food - basically Indian cuisine”
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Reasonable prices, good wine list, basically Indian food with a few other items from Nepal. The momos are good.

Beverly Hills
“Great Everything”
Reviewed January 12, 2010

The place was incredibly crowded, which always is a good sign, the food was great especially for vegetarians, and the service was great. Couldn't ask for more.

1 Thank LJordon25
Napa
“best value, best food at any price, best people”
Reviewed November 1, 2009

I can't recommend this place highly enough. The food is hand selected by the owner, there's nothing but the highest praise for any dish, (I've had them all). The staff is as friendly and accommodating as one can imagine. The dining room is small but comfortable, with outside dining in a charming paseo. I hesitate to let others know about how good this place is for fear of it being overrun by the hungry masses looking for what a restaurant should be. Hurry before anyone else finds out.

Portsmouth, Virginia
“Excellent”
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We were looking for a low key dinner our first night in Sonoma and this was the perfect stop. I didn't know what Nepalese food was but was willing to try. Both my husband and I ordered Tandoori meals - he chicken & I lamb. The dinners included a delicious lentil soup to start that was wonderful and the owner was kind enough to give me the recipe to try to recreate it at home.

2 Thank kasiab2009