“Great location, but disappointing for the price”

Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The staff at this hotel are friendly and helpful and it is well-located for a very short walk into the heart of Sonoma's town square.

However, the nightly rates are outrageous for what are pretty basic amenities. Some rooms are quite dark and haven't been updated in a long time. We were put in an accessible room, so the bar in the closet was too low to hang up a dress, which, since we were here for a wedding, was a problem. They could put a second bar or hook in the closet or something but no one has thought through these details, which is shocking at $400/night (AAA rate). I would also not expect to see dry rot in the bathroom.

I had requested a quiet room and we were placed downstairs near the staircase - pretty much the opposite. While other guests were quite polite, there's very little soundproofing from upstairs.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
KendallC929, General Manager at Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear jessbess1,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am happy to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful.
I am sorry to hear that you felt that the rates were high. We go through our rooms consistently and update them. The brightness is our rooms may vary depending on the location, which is inevitable and uncontrollable. Our accessible rooms have certain guidelines that we must adhere to. I am sorry that you had these issues in your room and in the future we encourage our guests to contact the front desk immediately. We would have been happy to move you to a room that is in an area that receives more light that is not an accessible room as availability allows. We want to satisfy all of our guests; however we must be made aware of these situations.
As for the issue that you encountered in your bathroom; could you please contact me at your convenience to give me the exact room number. It appears that this room needs attention immediately and we will also be inspecting these rooms to fix the problem right away.
The accessible rooms are located in one area of the building, which is why you were located where you were. Again, we encourage our guests to contact the front desk with any issues as we will do everything possible to accommodate your requests.
Thank you again for your review.
Kendall Comfort

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Arrived late and had to leave early - wish we could have stayed longer! The location is good - just a short walk to Sonoma Square, with its quaint shops and restaurants. Check-in staff were helpful, but didn't have much info on the wineries - there was a free wine tasting at the hotel the evening we were there - which was much appreciated!
Nice pool area which was perfect for a dip in the evening - and Wholefoods just across the street - to stock up on nibbles and wine which we enjoyed on our balcony.
The rooms were fine - a bit dated, especially the bathroom and sink area (which was just inside the room door?!) - and breakfast was standard fare, but pretty good. We didn't find the walk to the function room at the back of the hotel annoying - despite the large amount of complaints about it on here.
A good place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
KendallC929, General Manager at Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear ni_traveller74,
Thank you for reviewing our property. I am happy to hear that our location worked well for you and that you enjoyed our pool area.
I am glad to hear that the front desk staff was helpful, but I am sorry to hear that they were unable to help you with wine tasting information as they are all very knowledgeable about local wineries. We update our rooms often, so I am sorry to hear that you felt that the rooms were dated. We strive to offer beautiful rooms to our guests. If you have any suggestions feel free to contact me anytime. I would be happy to hear any of your suggestions.
I am glad to hear that the location of the breakfast was not inconvenient for you that our breakfast worked well for you.
I am happy to heat that you enjoyed your time here and we hope that you will stay with us soon.
Kendall Comfort

Reviewed September 30, 2013

The best room of our trip, for a treat stay in the suite located at the back of the property. Private balcony, jacuzzi tub, 2 television sets. complimentary bottle of wine and fireplace. Nice any time of year. Excellent free breakfast.

Room Tip: go for the suite!

Dear ronald f,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a wonderful review of our property. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Suite and our breakfast. I hope that in the future you will stay with us again soon. Thank you again for reviewing our property.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We only stayed here one night but wished we had stayed longer. The location was wonderful with walking distance to the town square. The staff was helpful especially Lacy and the breakfast very adequate.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We decided to stay an extra night almost as soon as we arrived. Ours was a charming retreat. Each room has a comfortable private balcony area that is adjacent to the pool, hot tub and common area. We even sat by the fire and had a great conversation with some of the other guests one evening.

It is also a great location in Sonoma. We were able to walk to the town square for dinner each night. There are some great choices. The hotel is also across from a Whole Foods.

The room was adequate and clean. The bed was comfortable and there was a fireplace but we didn't attempt the fire :) . Breakfast was provided -- basic but it included hot foods and lots of room to sit.

I do wonder if it was a bit pricey but I can see why they can charge what they do. I would definitely recommend it and stay again.

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the pool -- but think about asking to be just to the side of it as it could be...

Dear Chris W,
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so happy to hear that you liked your room and our garden patio. The fire pit in the courtyard is cozy and relaxing, and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed it.
I am glad that our location was convenient and that our breakfast worked well for you. I am sorry to hear that you encountered noise at the pool area during your stay. We always encourage our guests to contact the front desk if there are any noise issues, as we want all of our guests to have an excellent stay.
Thank you again for taking the time review our property and we hope to have you here again soon.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We got in late and we were on a girls trip to celebrate a birthday. My requests were met - I ordered a roll a way bed and was not charged for it! The reviews are pretty accurate. Good location, breakfast adequate, front desk very nice and speedy. Loved the real fireplace in the room. The room size was a surprise and delight. Too bad we only spend 1 night there.

downside - there is no elevator and we had to lug our luggage upstairs and since it was late at night we made a lot of noise, but tried to be quiet. There was not enough towels in the room.

Room Tip: ask for a ground floor. there is no elevator
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear 808ulu,
Thank you for taking the time to share the experience that you had at our property. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed you enjoyed your time here. It is very important to my staff and I that our guests have an outstanding experience.
I am sorry to hear that you had to take your luggage up the stairs. We would have been happy to have one of our Public Area Attendants deliver your luggage to your room for you. I am also sorry to hear that there were not enough towels in your room. We stock our rooms with enough towels for 2-3 people; however we are more than happy to deliver additional towels to your room for you any time. We hope that you will be able to stay with us in the future and please, do not hesitate to contact the front desk about requests. Thank you again for your kind review.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We understand this is Sonoma, but even at the high time, charning $400/night for this quality of a room is unacceptable. Also, we were on the 2nd floor in the corner with no balcony where all the other rooms on 2 had a balcony facing the pool. If there are no other options in town, drive the 14 miles and stay in Novato for 1/2 the cost.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
KendallC929, General Manager at Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Michelle M,
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your stay. I am sorry to hear that you felt our rates are expensive. This is an extremely busy time for us in Sonoma and the rates of rooms in the town reflect that. We strive to offer our guests the best experience possible with our facility, location and staff interactions.
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your room. Unfortunately, not every room on the second (or first) floor has balconies. We have rooms with and without balconies and the rates for these rooms reflect this. Our Standard King rooms and our Fireplace King rooms do not have the patio or balconies, and the rates are lower for that reason. We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future and please note that the rooms with balconies are called Garden Rooms. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review about our property and have a wonderful day.