“The Trojan Horse Inn is a Classy B&B!”

Cinnamon Bear Creekside Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Sonoma B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2005

I am so sorry that I had not posted a review of this B&B run by Greg and Bethany before. My husband and I stayed here at the end of April on our trip along the entire West Coast which included the lovely Sonoma Wine Country. The proprieters are young, sure, but very professional. They operate this exquisitely renovated historic building-turned-B&B efficiently yet are friendly and personable. When I was researching lodging for our trip, I found their tantalizing website; and Greg was very courteous and helpful when I called to arrange our stay. When we parked our car in the lot, the fragrance of roses welcoming us was intoxicating! Entering the living/dining room, we felt instantly "at home" as classic jazz music from the masters provided the ambience for enjoying the wine and cheese put out for us. We stayed in the Veloso room - immaculate, cozy, and stylish, with attached pristine bath. Bethany and Greg thought of everything for us: quality bath products, luxurious bath and bed linens and ear plugs (which would be needed as one of our windows faced the busy downtown intersection.) Some of the traffic, like the gentleman on a very noisy Harley who insisted on driving up and down the street very late at night, kept us up. But breakfast in the bright sunlit dining room on fine china the following morning made up for everything! In fact, if it hadn't have been for the friendly people at our table, who told us about a better route to San Francisco, we would have wasted most of our day trying to get there! As it turned out, it was a magical day; we returned in the evening with enough time to stroll to the little neighborhood Mexican cantina for a delicious Yucatan meal! Thanks, Bethany and Greg! Although this is admittedly late, the memories are like yesterday!
Kathryn

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank snokat

Reviewed September 28, 2005

I decided to stay at the THI because of the reviews on this site. Personally, I think for the money they charge, it is VERY overpriced. You can stay at other B&Bs in the valley for as much or less money in a nicer, more cozy location.

The innkeepers have done a nice job renovating the rooms and common area. Whirlpool bath was fantastic!

It's just that when I compare the THI to the B&B I stayed in on the same trip in Mendocino (Brewery Gulch Inn), the THI falls short.

I would stay elsewhere next time I am in the Valley.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank NJgolfer
Management response:Responded October 11, 2005

We are saddened at the review left by this guest of ours. In every aspect of our business, we do our best to ensure that all of our guests receive the highest level of service and attention to detail. Our goal is to see that each guest's expectations are surpassed by their experience at our inn.

While our location is something over which we have no control, we believe it is a positive aspect of our inn. We are located in the town of Sonoma. We do our best to be very clear about this both in our print and website promotions and when we talk with perspective guests on the phone. As an in-town location, we are not able to offer a secluded mountain top or vineyard setting on an expansive estate. On the other hand, by being in town, our our guests are within 1 mile of the many world class restaurants and wonderful shops located on and around the historical Sonoma Plaza. We recognize that this is a trade-off and that while some guests prefer the convenience of an in-town location, other prefer the seclusion of a more remote location.

The reviewer made a point of comparing us to an Inn in Mendocino, mentioning that that particular inn offers more to its guests than we offer to ours. It should be noted that the inn to which we were compared advertises rates that run $80 - $115 per night more than ours. Additionally, Mendocino is a much more rural location than is the town of Sonoma.

We do our best to offer our guests the most for their money. We are proud to offer our guests access to our complimentary Port bar, wine and hors d'oeuvres Thursday-Saturday evenings featuring wines from local small-production wineries, full gourmet multi-course breakfasts with freshly squeezed orange juice, 600-thread count sheets in all of our guest rooms, thick Egyptian cotton towels, memory foam pillow-top mattresses, complimentary use of bicycles, complimentary access to a local fitness club with a swimming pool, detailed customized itineraries for wine tasting and touring at the best of the small production wineries in the various wine regions in Sonoma County, and an attention to detail and high level of service that parallels some of the finest small inns in the country.

We are sorry that our inn wasn't the type of place that this reviewer was looking for and hope that their overall experience in the Wine Country was not negatively impacted by this.

Please feel free to contact us directly at the inn if you have any questions about our inn or visiting the Wine Country in general.

With apologies extended,

Greg Johns
Owner
Trojan Horse Inn

Allen, TX
Reviewed August 7, 2005

My wife and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary in Sonoma in August and after an exhaustive search for that "special" place, we decided on the Trojan Horse Inn in Sonoma. Location was great as it was close to the Square in Sonoma and convenient to getting to Sonoma County wineries as well as Napa Valley wineries. The place was very well kept and the beds were to die for. As my wife stated, she has never slept in such a comfortable bed with wonderful sheets. The breakfasts were outstanding and all the guests staying while we were there loved it too. I would highly recommend you consider this place if you are visiting the Wine Country in N. California. Your wife will "love you even more for it". Thanks to Greg and Bethany for their hospitality.

Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed July 27, 2005

I would highly recommend the Trojan Horse Inn. The house and guest rooms are beautifully decorated, the sheets on the bed are divine, the breakfasts are a culinary treat, and the location is convenient for wine tasting. Enjoy!!

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 22, 2005

Our stay at the Trojan horse was part of a 20th anniversary trip. What a place. It's warm and inviting. The furnishings are beautiful. The linens are exquisite. Wine, port and sweets in the evening and excellent breakfasts. Great suggestions on wineries and restaurants. Greg and Bethany know what a B&B experience should be like. Our only minor suggestion would be more inventive selections for those with food allergies.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank AM-TJ
Florida
Reviewed July 12, 2005

We spent part of our honeymoon here while we toured the wine country. Bethany and Greg (innkeepers) were ultra-friendly, helpful, fun, and cook an awesome breakfast. The rooms were all charming and our bed was, by a mile, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. I would highly recommend this place to ANYONE going to Sonoma/Napa.

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 20, 2005

As two couples on a first visit to the wine country, we were a bit overwhelmed by it all (in a great way). My wife and I stayed in the largest room, which was very cozy. There was some traffic noise in the morning, as it sits on a main street, so you may want to choose any other room since I believe the rest are towards the back.

The THI was very reasonably priced for that part of the world. The breakfast was good, but we should have told them that none of us are big suasage fans (even if made from chicken or soy). The couple who own it are young and nice and relatively new to the B & B business, but this is not a bad thing as they are hip. All the rooms are named after great jazz artists and jazz often times is playing in the background. I would stay there again.

May / June was a fantastic time to go to the wine country!

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
El Pueblo Inn
#15 of 30 in Napa
Sonoma Creek Inn
Sonoma Creek Inn
#5 of 11 in Sonoma

Been to Cinnamon Bear Creekside Inn? Share your experiences!