“This is my favorite restaurant in Sonoma.” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Breakaway Cafe
Ranked #28 of 123 Restaurants in Sonoma
Cuisines: American, Grill, Bar, Cafe, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: A Sonoma Wine Country Bar & Cafe serving breakfast, lunch, dinner and cocktails for 20 years Locals rave about our grass fed burgers, brunches and fresh fish specials.
Guerneville
“This is my favorite restaurant in Sonoma.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2011

Unpretentious and comfortable, The Breakaway Cafe serves some of the best meals in Sonoma county at half the price of many of the more fancy establishments.
It has a great atmosphere; in the day time for breakfast and lunch the dinning room is beautiful, friendly and spacious and filled with light, and in the evening the feeling is warm and romantic and inviting.
It's good, honest food, fresh and clean tasting. I love fish and I almost always have one of their fish specials and it's always been superb. Their chef really knows how to cook fish, crisp on the outside and soft and velvety in the center. Last week I had a very generous portion of beautiful local rock cod on a bed of creamy risotto with a blood orange reduction sauce making a delicious accent. Simple good food, perfectly cooked.
Fried calamari is one of their specialities and it's the best I've ever had, anywhere, period.
It's perfectly fried, without a trace of grease, and served with an addictive chipotle mayonnaise and lemon wedges. It goes great with a glass of their Oatmeal Stout; a perfect combo.
They have some of the very best deserts around too. Marcia, who is one of the waitresses, also makes many of the deserts, and she has a rare talent. On my last visit I had a citrus flavored pound cake, light as a feather, with a perfectly sweet/tart rhubarb and strawberry compote and a spoonful of creme fraiche. Pure heaven. She also makes the best lemon biscotti I've ever tasted. And chocolate brownies; and key lime pie and many other treats. Be sure and save room for desert. The assortment is always changing.
The staff are really friendly and nice and go out of their way to be accommodating. They seem to be really enjoying their jobs and seem happy to be there. A big reason why this place has such a nice atmosphere I bet. I've also found that the chefs are really open to making up special requests.
This really is one of the most pleasant dinning experiences to be had in the North Bay for my money.
It's a favorite with locals and with good reason.
I live over in West County near the coast, and only get over to Sonoma a few times a month, but if I lived in town I'd have dinner at the Breakaway at least several times a week, and breakfast too.

• Visited March 2011

Petaluma
“Most innovative food in Sonoma. Consistently high quality. Fun atmosphere. Great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

It's like going to Cheers - where everyone knows your name. Always good food, always fun.

Sonoma, California
“Delicious food every meal of the day - five stars”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

We eat there several times a week - all different meals. The homemade corn beef has is superb. The beltane ranch burger is the best I have ever eaten - NYC -SF, and the jambalaya will stand up to any in New Orleans - do not miss the steaks. Friendly and attentive service

• Visited April 2011
Sonoma, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food at a reasonable price - what's not to like?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

This is where we eat and we're local. The food is great, service is good and the atmosphere is homey. My favorites are the Taco Salad, Prawn Cocktail, Tuna Melt, Veggie Melt, French Fries and special fish dishes like Red Snapper.

• Visited April 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Great food! Laid back atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

On our first trip to Sonoma, we had been recommended to eat at all this super fancy and expensive places and we were just wanting a relaxed and tasty meal. We stumbled upon The Breakaway Cafe when we saw their $5 burger sign. When we got in there, everyone was so nice and laid back, it felt like a real family place. We opted to forgo the $5 burger special and get one of their specials - I got the butternut squash pasta. The food was incredible and our server was so warm and welcoming. This was a great find! And one we will visit on our next trip to this beautiful place.

• Visited February 2011