“Great food and amazing service”
Review of Harvest Moon Cafe

Harvest Moon Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Harvest Moon Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 123 Restaurants in Sonoma
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Napa Street
Description: We are a small family run business on Sonoma's square. We have seasonal patio seating as well as a cozy dining room.
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and amazing service”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Our best meal in the Sonoma area. Creative and with love of the food as well as wine.
Personal service with heart for the restaurant business and customer service.
Great atmosphere. Real and warm.

1 Thank Lucia L

• Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
“Very disappointing experience”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Unfortunately, did not have the wonderful experience of many others. When we had called to make a reservation no one had mentioned that some of the seating would be outdoors in the middle of winter (I think it got as cold as 35 degrees that night). If they had we would have either made sure we were able to reserve indoors or chosen somewhere else. We were taken to the back which was a tented patio, very unattractive with folding tables. There were heat lamps and it smelled a little funny (maybe the gas from the heat lamps).

Our appetizer, the scallops came out quickly, and were perfectly cooked, so we were starting to hope that the food would make up for the setting. We then waited forever for our main (about an hour) and noticed them bringing food over to a table that order after us and one of them sending it back. Our waitress kept walking by, saw that we had no food and didn't say or do anything. Eventually after 40 minutes I got her attention, she looked into it (which she should've done on her own much sooner), and it turned out our food had been brought to the other couple behind us. This mixup should have quickly been realized by her but wasn't. There seemed to be too many different people bringing out food that were not well coordinated with each other. The mains were good but not amazing. After the bad experience, we decided to go elsewhere for dessert.

Anyways, the owner comped our wines, but still the service and the ugly outside tent were very disappointing.

• Visited December 2012
JenHarvestMoon, Owner at Harvest Moon Cafe, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I'm sorry you didn't have the positive experience most guests have. I clearly remember your table and the mistake we made bringing the food to the incorrect table that evening. My waitstaff informed me that our mistake was communicated to you and we corrected it as soon as possible. I tried to further correct the situation by taking off the beverages from your check. There were multiple apologizes made for our mistake in addition to taking items off the bill. Our policy in taking reservations is to inform people if they will be in the heated tent. I apologize if that did not happen with you. We have worked extremely hard to make the tent inviting. I, as the owner, invested many hours of hard work to decorate and craft added touches to make it special. We are constantly making changes to improve based on our customer feedback. We now have several more heaters installed and tablecloths for the bistro tables. We area a small family owned business striving to make the best possible experience for our customers.
Napa, California
“Great dinner in Sonoma! Good food, good service, etc...”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We just finished having our last dinner in Sonoma as we wrap up our vacation and we were recommended to come here. The atmosphere is good, cozy, although it does not afford too much privacy. The food choices were very good and everything we ordered was excellent! The service was very good although a tad slow but not an issue and well worth it!
This is another great food place on the Sonoma square and we would now also recommend it.

• Visited January 2013
Los Angeles
“Maybe One of the Best Brunches”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've ever had. Lamb ragu & sausage, crispy grits, greens. Great atmosphere, friendly and helpful staff, charming all around. A must-go, but make a rez because it's kinda tiny.

• Visited December 2012
“Don't come here when it is cold outside”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is primarily an outdoor restaurant, something I didn't realize when we booked a reservation here. The restaurant itself is very small. Most of the seating is in the back, in the patio.

The night we went here, it was about 45 degrees. We were seated in the corner. It was very cold. We asked one of the server runners if we could move. She mumbled something and we never saw her again. The initial service was slow, so it took awhile to move. At this point, we almost got up and left. Our waitress moved us. We were moved to the opposite end, where there was a floor heater. It was better, but not ideal. It was still really drafty.

The tables are very uncomfortable. Our first table was a pink metal table. Does management realize how cold metal gets? You put your arms on it and it's cold. The second table we were seated at was a picnic table - the kind that fold up. The kind you can buy at Costco with the fake wood finish.

Could they have considered putting table cloths on the cheap tables and maybe buy an extra heater for each area?

As for the nice patio - what was nice about it? My view was an eyesore - I was looking at a shed or some sort of shelving. There was an open umbrella just laying there and "stuff" just laying around. The lighting could have been much better. Put up string of cute tea lights, give the place a little atmosphere and some ambient lighting. Maybe put a indoor/outdoor rug down at night. I'm sorry, this was terrible.

Enough on the atmosphere, now to the food. They did a little better. The prices are reasonable.

The waitress knew her wine. I am not a wine connoisseur but I gave her a description of what I like and she recommended a great red blend. I liked it so much, I wrote down the wine so I can perhaps go to that winery. And at $45 for the bottle, I felt like it was appropriately priced.

I had a salad and ravioli. Both were excellent. The salad was tossed in a fantastic dijon vinegarette dressing that was to die for. Very light, not too much mustard, and just the right amount of dressing. The ravioli were very different - potato and goat cheese - they were more like pierogies, but they were wonderful and something really different. They were in a very light olive oil based sauce with dried fruit and nuts. Excellent.

My companion had a rib eye - he said it was too salty. Our friends had the fish special, which was ono. It was very fresh; I had a bite. But the preparation was nothing out of the ordinary.

Bottom line - I will not go back. I felt like I was in a tourist trap restaurant. The atmosphere just killed it for us.

• Visited December 2012
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the atmosphere of the heated tent. We do everything possible to make our guests comfortable and happy. We appreciate the feedback and have addressed some issues by bringing in table cloths and extra heaters as well. I'm sorry you didn't like the style of tables; bistro, hand-made teak, and antique French marble tables we have. I have worked hard to add nice touches, such as the hand-made vine chandeliers, lanterns and fabric covering the poles as well as candles on each table. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your foodnand hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Sonoma.