“Nice little restaurant”
Review of Depot Hotel

Depot Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
Depot Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 124 Restaurants in Sonoma
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Spain Street
Transit: Sonoma Plaza--two blocks away.
Description: The DEPOT HOTEL RESTAURANT is a charming neighborhood restaurant located in an historic stone building just a block off the Plaza in Sonoma. Locals and visitors to the Wine Country enjoy casual Tuscan-inspired cuisine in the Vinoteca, in the cozy dining rooms, and on the terraces surrounding the shady Italian garden and reflection pool. Food is a passion at the DEPOT HOTEL RESTAURANT for the father and son Chef team--whether it is making house-made antipasti, or handmade pasta, or fresh ricotta. In addition to products made in-house, the Sonoma wine country around us offers an abundance of new artisanal products. The search for the best local products is a treasure hunt both chefs enjoy--whether from the coast, local farms, or local cheese makers. Come join us for a trattoria-style lunch or dinner...or just drop into our Vinoteca for informal small plates of antipasti and a glass of wine. Our focus is casual Italian comfort food--served in an informal Sonoma wine country atmosphere.
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Nice intimate little place with friendly staff and a great chef, always good food, try the crab canneloni!

1  Thank Leroy A
There are newer reviews for Depot Hotel

Reviewed December 27, 2011

Wonderful time with my mom. She loved the garden room with the view of the pool. The food was delicious and one of the most affordable restaurants in Sonoma for Thanksgiving. The service was great, food was hot and tasty. I made reservations for New Year's Eve! I'd encourage everyone to try this restaurant!

2  Thank 1492Sonoma
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My wife and I had dinner here and found it to be an incredible find. It is really a lovely setting and it's very romantic with the pool right next to the dining area with fountains and gardens. The food was superb and they have a very wonderful wine list, of course, with very healthy pours. It is Italian style cooking and It is really cozy and just a beautiful setting on the back area of this old hotel in a very quiet area of Sonoma. I would highly recommend this place, take your friends for a nice evening and you will not be disappointed. Start off with a charcuterie appetizer and you will love it, a very diverse selection of meats and cheese and bread to go with your delicious wine. I had the fillet of beef (sorry, I was craving beef) and it was so tender and mouth-watering. I will definitely be back to the Depot for another meal.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

This quaint restaurant is located just two blocks north of the Sonoma square. The homey style, Italian cooking was perfect on this cold, autumn evening. It looks like there is a lovely, garden outdoor seating area, but it was too chilly to want to eat al fresco. Our server, while a bit brusque, was helpful with menu and wine selections and quite attentive. I'm not sure of their corkage policy but it appeared several table had brought their own wine - so worth checking that out if you would like to do that. The menu was dated with the date of our visit, which makes me wonder if their menu changes frequently and seasonally.

Reviewed September 23, 2011

We found this restaurant by accident. We were planning on finding a restaurant on the square--maybe the Girl and the Fig that we'd heard so much about--and the closest parking we could get was about 3 blocks from the square. But as we got out of the car to head to the square, we saw the Depot Hotel beckoning us. It was lovely on the outside, and through the open door we could see right through to the patio out back. It looked so charming, we peeked in, and immediately realized, Who needs the square? We stayed right there for lunch, and liked it so much we ended up going back for dinner that same night!

Why was it so great? First, the patio garden is charming. Just charming! Under the trees, with latticework, stone figures, and a sort of reflecting pool with a peaceful, quiet fountain in the middle. It was very serene, and rather quiet (despite the fact that there was a large party going on that took up about 1/3 of the tables).

The menu was quite varied, with some really interesting and unusual options. Both my husband and I loved our choices. He had yellowtail, and I had an amazing sandwich with prosciutto and some kind of delicious cheese. Our dinner choices were delicious, as well.

Both of our servers were attentive, polite, and unobtrusive, all at the same time! And so nice. We felt very well taken care of.

We ate on the patio both times--once under the covered patio, once right out in the garden. But the indoor rooms looked quaint, as well. And one of the rooms is full of windows looking out onto the patio--probably a nice alternative if the weather is uncooperative.

My only comment that's less than stellar is that they serve only wine and beer; no other alcohol. Which is probably not a big thing for most, considering you're in Sonoma, after all. I was a little disappointed, though, I admit. I was sort of all wined out by that time, if you will. :-)

I'll be frank: if you're looking for a hot spot where all the hip young people go, I'd say this ain't it! But if you just want a quiet peaceful place with lovely surroundings, great food, attentive (and nice) servers, and a little class, you've found it.

1  Thank kathy c