“Good for the money”
Review of Swiss Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sonoma
Swiss Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We stayed here for one night and it suited our needs just fine. We had just traveled all day and needed a place to crash that was in a great location. Since the hotel is a very old building it had slanted floors in our room which added to the charcter. The view of the town square was great for people watching.

We had no problems with the noise since we were so tired. We fell right to sleep and were not bothered by the other people having a good time downtairs.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Swiss Hotel

Reviewed September 20, 2008

I stayed here with a party of friends. We all had different rooms. Everyone complained about the noise. It was impossible to sleep. The front rooms were most affected by the bar and restaurant just underneath, the back rooms by the throb of the many boilers, air con units and heaters which operated seemingly all night. It was like being in the staff quarters of a cheap cruise ship.

The staff were indifferent and unfriendly and the breakfast was merely adequate.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Ozkar
Reviewed June 8, 2008

After having no reservation at The Sonoma Hotel (no record of our reservation even though I had the email in my hand), then staying one night at the El Dorado Hotel (wonderful place), my husband was able to book us a room at the Swiss Hotel for two nights. Hoping to stay at the El Dorado for the three nights, the Swiss Hotel told us that if a room became available, our deposit would be refunded. No room became available and we stayed at the Swiss Hotel. The room was lovely and clean. But the nicest part about this hotel was the attitude and helpfulness of the staff (just like the El Dorado). These people could not be nicer. We were very pleased with the room and felt very fortunate that we were able to stay there. Great experience.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank mtodd003
Reviewed October 28, 2007

This is our second time in two years at the Swiss Hotel in Sonoma. We like the location and the rooms are very large. The staff is very friendly and it is a family-run hotel (for I believe over 100 years). Hank was very helpful as was anyone working at the little reception desk. We've stayed in rooms 4 and 5, which are the only ones that have private doors to the hotel's large balcony (any guest may use). Room 4 is bright and cheery with a separate sitting area. Room 5 is dark and needs a little more brightness. Be aware that it can be noisy at night as the rooms are over the bar and outside dining area for the bar (the hotel restaurant is towards the rear of the hotel). We like the proximity to walking to restaurants after a long day of driving through wine country. The rooms need a bit of updating and the towels are old and hard on the skin. Having stayed here twice, we surely do like it, but I think after two visits we're ready for a new experience.

• Stayed: October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Ruebrezin
Reviewed August 7, 2007

I walked around the downtown square and saw this hotel. I walked in asked for room and was told they had one left at a rate of $150. I asked to see the room before and was told that it's #1 at the top of the stairs. The staircase was old and uneven (as the sign warns you) and I was very surprised to find a bright, sunny, modern room with all the amenties you'd expect.
I LOVED the bar downstairs and the staff were all friendly and helpful. The food was very good in the restaurant. Grab a table outside and watch the town walk by you. I seriously want to retire and move into one of the room upstairs. There's only 5 rooms in the hotel! I want one of them.

Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank conciergeinnewyork
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We did not stay at the hotel - we just popped in for something to eat in the early evening. The waiting staff and the ambience were fine but the food was awful. My capellini with tomatoes was absolutely tasteless and watery. Adding salt in desperation made no difference. My partner's lasagna was equally tasteless with no seasoning whatsoever. We chose wine from their recommended list - no pleasure in that either. We had travelled all around Napa and and had great food. The Swiss Hotel was really awful - I would not eat there again if I was starving.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank MoMoHK
Reviewed July 30, 2007

Our stay at the Swiss Hotel was a great experience. We were told the hotel has been in their family for over a 100 years. Our room was comfortable and gave us a beautiful view of the downtown square. The added bonus to staying at the Swiss is the restuarant. It is about the only restuarant left in downtown Sonoma where you can get an excellent meal at a reasonable price. Sitting out on the patio for dinner on a summer evening was a great treat.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank WellyModestoCA