“Charming Inn”

Ranked #1 of 11 Sonoma B&B and Inns
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Charming Inn”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Lovely place to stay and relax. No TVs, candles and a fires abound. Five minute walk to Sonoma plaza. Stayed in Mission Suite first night...amazing. Chapel Suite the next two nights...much smaller, but nicely appointed, great tub with salts, but a little loud and no iPod dock. Owners and staff are incredibly gracious. Love the little basket of goodies delivered each morning. I recommend without reservation!

Room Tip: Go for the outside rooms...they are quieter and brighter. There is no pool we saw. Might have miss...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Mill Valley, California
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I'm the guy who left the Inn without his pants.

It wasn't as awkward as that sounds. Ha! They were my pajama pants that happened to be the same color as the bedding in our room so they just disappeared while I packed our bags to leave. Of course, I telephoned next day and the wonderful people at the Inn offered to pop them in the mail.

The importance of the "little things" we had/saw/enjoyed at the Cottage Inn.

I forget what it came in but we found a small slip of paper like the message in a fortune cookie. I think it came with the basket delivered to our door with fresh croissants and muffins for breakfast. Printed on nice paper, it was a thoughtful presentation for even this small thing. A small slip of paper with these words, "There is nothing like a dream to create a future." Victor Hugo. I remembered this note because I brought it home and I keep things like that. It's sitting right now on the table next my computer.

I liked it because it's this sort of tidbit that lifts you out of the hotel experience like you're staying at a friends home. They want to leave you to yourself but drop various reminders to leave the hum drum . . . the business . . . the stress . . . to leave all that behind. They want to elevate your spirit as a kind friend would do. Dropping small hints of inspiration here and there like the tiny leaves that fell in our private outdoor patio.

The generous terry cloth robes they put out were the perfect thing to relax in after our couples massage. And, "Oh, the massage!" It was so relaxing I could barely lift my arms for some time after. I'm not the only one to recommend this.

The Cottage Inn had some of those large round stones here and there with inspirational words engraved into them. The stone in front of our suite said "Love" as we entered. We hadn't planned a romantic weekend. Just wanted to get away from it all --but there it was, a reminder and the invitation to fall in love all over again. Other stones, I don't remember exactly, said things like "Tranquility" and after repeated sightings of these small items, a subtle effect is borne into the Inn experience.

Also, even though not all were to my taste, (like on the shelf over the Jacuzzi) there were small sculptures everywhere. I specifically think of the little birds at the entrance but we had small birds on a tray with candle holders over the bed too.

A national hotel chain would never place such steal-able objects all around the property. So not only was it interesting to the eye, but these decorative elements contributed a little sparkle to an atmosphere of aesthetics, sort of THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE, TRUST, WELCOME and "We-want-to-make-your-stay-a-pleasant-one."

Flowers, --lovely arrangements (that's plural) of beautiful flowers. And the blessing of no Television. What a nice place!

Room Tip: Our plant filled outdoor patio brought the sky and fresh air in with complete privacy. Delightful.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Cottage Inn and Spa for the second time. We live in Calgary, Alberta and we've been talking all year about how much we enjoyed the first experience last spring but surprisingly it was even better than we remembered this spring. We stayed in the gorgeous north suite and overlooked the garden fountain in the courtyard from our room. The accommodations are warm, inviting, clean and large while the owners and staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. Don't bother with an agenda for your trip, just show up and ask the owners for their recommendations for dining, activities and wine touring. You won't be disappointed! Thank you Cottage Inn and Spa and see you again next year.

San Jose, CA
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My fiance and I came on a midweek getaway to celebrate our 9 years anniversary. I am obsessed, and possibly spoiled rotten, with The Cottage Inn & Spa. Peaceful and quaint, it’s a hidden oasis in the center of town. You could easily walk to all the major Sonoma attraction including cheese tasting at Vella Cheese and dinner at The Girl & The Fig. I adore the cozy feel of home, the tranquility in the fountains and courtyard, and appreciated our host for their level of attention to detail to make our stay as comfortable as possible.

I love the basket of baked goods and pastries in the morning for breakfast - they hang it outside your door! Also, as guests, you get complimentary wine tasting passes to many of the Sonoma wineries which you can bet we took full advantage of.

My favorite part about our Cottage Inn & Spa stay is the SPA! More specifically, our couple's massage which is quite possible the best massage we've ever had! Kathryn, who not only greeted us when we first arrived, but was also my masseuse! She managed to work out all my knots in virtually every inch of my body down to my knuckles and toes. She's amazing! I highly recommend even if you're not staying here but plan to visit Sonoma, to get a massage here. You'll thank me later.

I cannot say enough about the wonderful staff at The Cottage Inn & Spa. Faye is a delight and her team are all so warm and welcoming. This is a very special place in Sonoma and one that you won't regret staying at. It truly is the perfect romantic getaway stay.

1 Thank aintnoglikeme
Agoura Hills, California
Reviewed March 31, 2013

As I read through the reviews here, it's clear that our fond impressions are shared by many. Faye and Tom, abetted by an excellent staff, are wonderful, caring hosts, and the cozy compound they have created is charming and serene.

Our kids treated us to a memorable 50th anniversary weekend at Cottage Inn & Spa, complete with the Inn's famous (and fabulous!) massages. We were absolutely delighted from the moment we checked into the Mission Suite, with its beautiful (and fully-appointed) kitchen, huge cobalt-tiled jacuzzi with a window on its own bamboo forest, the luxurious linens, the private decks. Besides the morning pastry basket on the door, there were fruits & cereals, coffees & teas, jams & honey, OJ & milk & cream cheese in the fridge....plenty to keep us going until we strolled into town for lunch.

The Square was fun, but it was also really enjoyable to just curl up on our couch and browse through the intriguing assortment of books, or wander around the common areas with their cheerful nooks and gardens and fountains.

The evening of our anniversary, we came back from dinner in town to find a rose petal heart on our doorstep, and the room full of candles. There was champagne in a crystal ice bucket, delicate flutes, lovely roses, a gorgeous little cake. Faye & Tom had put it all together while we were at dinner, then vanished. We were completely awestruck.

After toasting ourselves and our offspring, (not to mention our good fortune in making it to 50 in the first place) we took our champagne glasses to the Paradisio Room, where we sat & reminisced, mesmerized by the stunning glass fire pit. Best. Anniversary. Ever. Thank you, kids. And thank you, Faye & Tom.

Room Tip: Study the photos and descriptions of each suite before you book - they each have unique qualities.
Chicago
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Fay was very warm and welcoming . Katherine and Gloria were also warm and very pleasant. We do enjoyed out room and the location was great. We would most certainly return.
All the recommendations were very helpful.

• Stayed March 2013
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 29, 2013

It is the best inn we have ever stayed in, and we have stayed in a lot.
Consider:
It was the warmest greeting we have ever received at a hotel, motel, inn or bed and breakfast. We
were treated like valued new friends.
Our suite was lovely. Plenty of room, attention to detail. Very comfortable. We love their
decision to not have a television in the suite. Music or blessed silence is there for the choosing.
Breakfast is fun. The milk and juice is in the fridge. The pastries hung on the door. Tea, coffee, cereal and excellent fresh fruit is all part of a great way to start the day.
One block away is the Sonoma plaza, one our favorite plazas anywhere, with all the
food, wine and strolling you could want around and in the park.
We used the free tasting arrangement they have with many area wineries to good use.
I could go on, but you get the picture. We are not pushovers, but my wife and I found
the owner Faye and her wonderful staff a complete delight. They really like what they do and
they like people.
We wouldn't stay anywhere else. We look forward to seeing them again.