“Very good french country food”
Review of the girl & the fig

the girl & the fig
Ranked #4 of 123 Restaurants in Sonoma
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1st St.
Description: Wine Country Destination restaurant in the heart of Sonoma Valley. Country Food with a French Passion. Seasonal local products, award winning Rhone-Alone winelist, full bar with aperitifs and unique cocktails. Enjoy seasonal garden patio dining.
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Had a very fun dining experience. Great decor, wonderful location just off the square, good service. The tables are a bit crowded, but it's a popular place. The menu is a bit limited, but the food was very good. Not badly priced, and there is a fixed-price three-course plat de jour. I'd come and try it again if I'm in the area.

So why very good and not "excellent." Part of it was expectations - I've heard so much about it, that I expected to be blown away. I wasn't. There seems to be a lack of inspiration. Maybe at one point this was truly unique, but now it's been imitated by so many places in the wine country that it blends in.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I ate lunch here with some friends on our first day in Sonoma on our way to our vacation rental. We sat on the charming patio (a must) and began one of those dining experiences that go down in the books as exceptional. Our server was a delightful balance of professional and fun. The ambience was wine country perfect. And then there's the food. . Chicken dishes are my litmus test of a quality restaurant. If someone can make chicken interesting , then it's a worthy dining spot. All I can say is the legend of the girl and the fig is deserving.

2  Thank raindiva
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately we saved our final night's dinner in Sonoma for this "acclaimed" restaurant. After extremely long wait, poor service we walked out. There are much better high-end dinner options on Sonoma square!!!

2  Thank Mark S
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We've eaten here twice and had excellent experiences both times. They have a beautiful outdoor patio. The food is outstanding "wine country" cuisine. Lots of fresh and local ingredients. We've eaten at a lot of great restaurants and this is one of our all time favorites.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were in Napa to tour a winery so we thought we would drive to Sonoma also. I had booked this restaurant on the basis of Tripadvisor reviews but it turned out to be the least popular meal of our entire 2 week trip. We had to wait 15 -20 mins despite having reservations. The place is crowded. They have a bar, a long curved brocade sofa and the outside seating area with string lights and an open fireplace. A small shelf in the center displays fig products and cook books. Our waiter was rushed and took a while to take our order. For appetizers we had the chicken liver pate with pickled vegetables. I wish I had not ordered this. The pate was covered with a thin layer of duck fat. It did not pair well with the very strongly pickled vegetables at all. We did not finish it. After a rather long boring wait ,my husband got the steak frites. In France, steak frites is a staple. However the steak is a sizeable portion with some thick cut fries to mop up the juices. Here, it was a rather small steak on a huge bed of McDonald looking fries. I had the crispy chicken thighs which were ok. We had the upside down plum cake for dessert. That was tasty. We did not order any wine. There are many restaurants in Sonoma. I would choose another place.