“Very Good, but make a reservation!”
Review of the girl & the fig

the girl & the fig
Ranked #4 of 123 Restaurants in Sonoma
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1st St.
Description: Wine Country Destination restaurant in the heart of Sonoma Valley. Country Food with a French Passion. Seasonal local products, award winning Rhone-Alone winelist, full bar with aperitifs and unique cocktails. Enjoy seasonal garden patio dining.
Del Mar, California
“Very Good, but make a reservation!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Good portions and fast courteous service with an interesting, but not a huge menu. Unless you get there very early for lunch, make a reservation. For dinner, forget it completely unless you HAVE a reservation!

Visited April 2014

Los Angeles
“Honestly a night to remember!”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

This place is consistently better than just good...It's great. I tell people this is my favorite restaurant ever, and I mean it. This was my 4th meal here in the last two years (and at a 6 hour drive from home, that's saying something). I love the fresh ingredients used here, the creative pairings and the just honest-to-goodness deliciousness I get every time. The service is always top notch. Everyone here knows their stuff, but there's a down-to-earthiness that puts other places' snobby service attitude to shame.
I called ahead to make our reservation for 4 people for an annual family Ladies Trip. My mother, who is deaf in one ear, is always concerned that she won't be able to participate fully in dinner conversations when we go out to eat at noisy places. I explained our desire to sit in the quietest area possible, and we were accommodated so wonderfully! We were seated in a lovely table on the covered patio (in excellent weather) in a table with a charming, curved wrap-around banquette that completely afforded us a private and low-noise environment. My little sister, mother, and cousin were wowed by the great menu and we spent plenty of time making our choices. We stared with the grilled asparagus, the heirloom radishes with anchovy butter, and the beet salad. Everyone loved the asparagus and the beet salad, but the heirloom radishes were met with tepid reviews...While crisp and fresh, there just wasn't enough zest to bring this dish up to the level of the others...Our group ordered the special (pan seared flounder), steak frites, the vegetarian polenta stacks and the wild boar ravioli. Wow! Everybody was really happy with their selections (several food requirements in our party) but I think the winners of the evening were the wild boar ravioli, the steak frites, the flounder and the polenta ;)
We finished off our meal with the chocolate and salted fig caramel trifle and the apple tart. Yum! Both were divine (although most in our party preferred the trifle.
Oh, I forgot to mention the fantastic wine and lovely cocktails we had as well! Bar staff is great :)
If you come to Sonoma and want to really experience a lovely French-Cali meal, you MUST give this place a try. It's charming and I'm sure it will make your list of "Meals to Remember" as well.
Can't wait to visit again.

• Visited April 2014
Petaluma, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just can't get fired up about this place.”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Always a bit of a disappointment. The atmosphere is lovely, but the food just so-so. I have eaten here about 5 times over the years, so I think I've given the place a fair chance, but always leave feeling like I would have enjoyed a meal I cooked at home more :(

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Kellg42
Arlington, Texas
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Of all the restaurants we visited in Sonoma, this was the most disappointing. It was a sister weekend and we were celebrating my sister's birthday. The tables were very close together and it felt like we we part of the date for the couple next to us. When my sister asked for the special dessert of the day, she was told that the chef would only serve it to people who had ordered the special dinner. Disappointing, but ok. Her second choice for dessert was promptly delivered to the table next to us. We had to hunt down our waiter after some time to get this corrected. She got the correct dessert without the garnish. Again, ok, I guess.
The bill arrived. I gave the waiter my credit card and he brought back a receipt for another table. Not Ok!! I had to ask for help. The manager assured me that I would not be charged twice. Guess what?? I got charged for both bills!!! Definitely not OK!!!
There are better restaurants in Sonoma. This one is not worth it

Visited March 2014
2 Thank 992judyr
Bala Cynwyd
“Memorable dinner”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We loved our evening at The Girl and the Fig.
The food was fabulous from start to finish.
Our waiter, Esteban, added so much to our enjoyment of the meal with his spot on suggestions and his descriptions of how each dish was prepared.
Don't miss the Chocolate and Salted Fig Caramel Trifle for dessert. Really.

• Visited April 2014