“Disappointing”
Review of the girl & the fig

the girl & the fig
Ranked #4 of 125 Restaurants in Sonoma
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1st St.
Description: Wine Country Destination restaurant in the heart of Sonoma Valley. Country Food with a French Passion. Seasonal local products, award winning Rhone-Alone winelist, full bar with aperitifs and unique cocktails. Enjoy seasonal garden patio dining.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I brought a friend to TG&TF on Christmas Eve, 2013. We decided to stay in Sonoma one night on our way south and stopped to see if we could get a reservation. We ended on the patio, sitting on a wooden bench with overhead heaters. The prices on the menu are suggestive of a French restaurant. An entrée is just an entrée and the portions were small. The appetizers average about $12, soup and salad average $11 and the entrées average about $25. There was no table cloth or fresh flowers on the outside patio. I've eaten here several times in the past and the food has been great and pricey but acceptable though last spring I had lunch there then took a cheese plate for a snack later. The cheese plate cost $2 more than my outstanding entrée and had about an ounce of cheese, three pieces of dry baguette and some fruit. What a disappointment! Tonight my date had the 'Duck Confit'. There was no skin and the outer edge of the duck was over cooked and hard. I had the 'Scallops' with bacon confit, fall squash and substituted broccolini for the roasted mushrooms. For $27 I received two scallops, one skinny roasted broccolini and enough squash to fill a table spoon. Our waiter was great but the quality of the food just wasn't there for the price. t will not be back.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,757)

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I have always loved duck, but they prepared a duck that was unforgettable.. melts in your mouth and just perfectly seasoned and served with a great rice dish. I was so full by the time I finished, I couldn't thank the staff enough for this superb meal.

1  Thank Jeanyne O
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We went for Sunday brunch. I had the best quiche I have ever eaten. It was absolutely delicious!

I had ordered a mimosa before the quiche. It arrived in the most narrow glass (it looked like a very thin champagne flute) I have ever seen. They charged $8.00 (U.S.) for this drink, which was very overpriced (in my opinion).

Service was good but not outstanding and they were not busy as we went for brunch in the mid-afternoon (2:30 p.m.).

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Highly touted. Good cocktail and beer for wife and self, very good fig salad, then 1 and 1/2 hour wait for entrees. Wife's duck confeit was ok, but my flounder was crisp, and its bed of potato and spinach was cold. Profuse apologies from waitress (who I'm sure did not prepare the entrees), and an offer from the manager of something else. I declined, as my wife was almost finished. I'm always amused (chagrined?) when servers and managers apologize rather than the chef. Caveat emptor.

Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely loved this restaurant. I had the beef carpaccio/ tartare with lavender salt and mustard as a starter and a burger for the lunch entree. I also shared in my wife's cheese plate. I wanted to sample everything on the menu. The food was great and if I find myself back in Sanoma county I'm definitely going back.