“A great spot in Sonoma”
Review of the girl & the fig

the girl & the fig
Ranked #4 of 125 Restaurants in Sonoma
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1st St.
Description: Wine Country Destination restaurant in the heart of Sonoma Valley. Country Food with a French Passion. Seasonal local products, award winning Rhone-Alone winelist, full bar with aperitifs and unique cocktails. Enjoy seasonal garden patio dining.
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have wanted to visit this restaurant before but never made it and it was a great choice. We shared some small plates and great wine and it was a wonderful evening.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,740)

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Went in for lunch, bustling business and ate at the bar. We wanted a glass of Sonoma Chardonnay and they had none on their wine menu. I thought that was really unusual since you are in Sonoma. Had a glass of Qupe which is from Santa Barbara county where we live.
Ordered a salad of mixed greens that had a very tasteless and weak dressing. I had mussels which were good and my husband had the Mano Formate sandwich. The sandwich was so sweet it was hard to eat. I would not return. Lovely bar server and energetic place but the food was marginal.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

On this Sunday evening the restaurant was full, but we were offered a table in the bar area which we accepted. We got a kind of a sofa and table, and we had the same privacy as if we had been in the restaurant area. We both had a soup for a start and then duck confit and pork tenderloin. Both main dishes were well tasting. For dessert we had the speciality Fig & Port Ice cream, which is marvellous. We chose Sonoma white and red wine from the fine wine list by glass and were fully satisfied. My wife is still taking about the red Highway 12.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We loved our experience at the Girl and the Fig! We sat outside and it was lovely. We both had the flounder and still talk about it. Our server, Kay was fun and attentive, this was our best dining experience on our trip!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The food was decent and reasonably priced, but this place is not worth the hype. This restaurant has become something of a local celebrity, and perhaps that has led to complacency and dwindling standards.

For example, my husbands drink arrived with about a dozen ants on the wedge of lemon in the glass. We got the attention of a passing busboy and returned it. Our waiter shortly appeared and informed us that a fresh drink was on its way. Nobody actually apologized?!?! If someone came to my house (where they would NOT be paying) and found insects in their food, I would be mortified! But the Girl & the Fig didn't care. No apology, no offer of a free drink, nothing.

There are places in Sonoma that serve better food and make you feel welcome and special - skip this place.