“A bit of an odd and conflicted experience”
Review of Ledson Hotel

Ledson Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
“A bit of an odd and conflicted experience”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The rooms were a step back in time. Done very much in old European style with lot of marble, a fireplace, and some other interesting touches. At first glance it seemed really nice. Internet and entertainment system worked very well. The bed was not good. Lumpy mattress with flaccid pillows, some of which were down with feathers coming through them. Upon arriving we were given a card with a person who we could call after hours for all of our needs. His name as Angel and he was very attentive. He seems to be the jack-of-all-trades at this hotel and appears to do everything from cook breakfast to cleaning the rooms and making the beds. He was great, but that's about where the greatness ends. Breakfast was an issue. Very sparse and oddly placed in the restaurant. We were not told when breakfast would be served an upon arriving, what little food their was was covered in plastic wrap. We were somewhat unsure as whether or not to help ourselves or not. When we turned around we did see a person there and we introduced ourselves and she introduced herself as Michelle. We did ask if the granola provided at breakfast had peanuts as my wife is allergic to peanuts, but she told us that it was not made on premises and could not tell us what the granola had in it. The quiche at breakfast was watery and and the only other thing to eat was some julienne of apples and slices strawberries with some yogurt parked off to the side. I guess if you really, really want to stay on the plaza in Sonoma then you might want to stay here. For the price of the stay I would probably stay elsewhere. It just was not our cup of tea. The private tasting they give you at the Ledson Winery is truly spectacular and we thoroughly enjoyed that perk.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in front of the hotel that overlook the plaza. We spoke to a couple who had rooms...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brian F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel was top notch, my favorite of the three we've stayed at in Sonoma over the last few years! Only 6 rooms, so very personalized, and all the staff was quite nice. Breakfast included each morning was very tasty, and they even brought it up to our room one morning unprompted when my sister and I were moving slowly! The included tour at their winery was nice, and the grounds were quite beautiful. The rooms were elegant, and the balcony over looking Sonoma square was very fun. The only thing this hotel misses is a spa, but we just booked our services at MacArthur place, just a few minutes away, where we'd strayed before. I'd choose to stay at this hotel again, over the others I'd been too, as it's location, coupled to the experience, can't be beat in Sonoma.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to overlook the square!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chksrgn
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My fiancée and I stayed at the Ledson this past weekend. What an incredible experience! The first thing we noticed was the incredible location. The Ledson is located right in the heart of Sonoma Plaza. The rooms are absolutely magnificent. We stayed in Williams's Room, which was the most luxurious and elaborate room in which I have ever stayed. The room comes with a complimentary wine tasting in their restaurant Centre du Vin, as well as a private VIP tasting in a castle at Ledson Vineyard. What an incredible experience that was! The service was magnificent. The hotel has a do-it-all employee named Angel who makes amazing frittatas and fruit salad for breakfast, prepares the rooms, helps with bags, and gives hotel history and neighborhood recommendations. His bright personality and kindness really takes the Ledson from being good to great. I would highly recommend this hotel, especially if you're in sonoma for a special occasion. Worth the price!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank NYYanks2462
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

The Ledson is a perfect place to relax and decompress. My wife and I stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed every minute. The rooms are opulent and the history connected with the property is fascinating. Michelle and her staff do an excellent job of making you feel at home and the experience is first rate for those seeking peace and quiet. The location is right downtown and convenient to restaurants and other activities. There are only 6 rooms so book in advance!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mitch P
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was one of my favorite hotel stay experiences I've ever had, and I travel quite frequently with work. It is a boutique hotel, only 6 rooms and everyone goes home at 9pm. The room is excellent, the shower itself deserves a special praise and I thought the staff were excellent - everything the concierge Vinny recommended was excellent. We ate several meals there, including an excellent lamb shank - recommended by the chef himself. It's right in the heart of Sonoma, walking distance to everything. I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew S
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

This place is a true, intimate experience. It is centrally located, right next to the park. The rooms are romantic and spectacular. The service is great. Having a tasting at the bar and enjoying a stroll outside is highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Fivestarbaby
west granby, ct
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I planned a getaway " honeymoon" for my wife and me. We had just celebrated the marriage of our second of two daughters within 7 months and my wife certainly deserved a getaway from the east coast. I picked the Ledson off the Internet. Upon our arrival at Sacramento airport, my wife's luggage was lost. Arriving in our room immediately soothed all the frazzled nerves. The room was magnificent, from the impressive decorative moldings to the period drapes and light fixtures. Each room had a theme. We also had a balcony overlooking the town square (a must to ask for). During dinner in the downstairs restaurant, the informal ambiance is what we needed. All seemed to know about our luggage issues and did all they could to make us feel relaxed, as if it was their fault. The following morning, the 9am knock on the door brought the most impressive breakfast one could ask for, deliverer by Angel, and he was a Godsend.

As we headed out for our first day of touring, he told us of the Ledson vineyards, the family history, the details that went into the hotel construction (I still can't believe it's not 100 years old). This guy exemplified the passion everyone felt in working not just for the hotel, but for the Ledson family. Mr Ledson, should you read this, you should be proud of what you have built and for the passion your employees feel towards making your guests welcome. Upon our departure, Angel and Michele made us feel like we were saying farewell to family, but did ask us to come back home soon.

Along with your stay comes a free private wine tasting at the estate. A truly fun and educational experience for a less savvy wine drinker like me.

If you visit the wine country, chose Sonoma. And if you chose Somoma, stay at the Ledson.

Room Tip: Don't forget to ask for a front room. The back rooms overlook the parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fdj44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
El Pueblo Inn
El Pueblo Inn
#3 of 11 in Sonoma
Inn at Sonoma, A Four Sisters Inn
Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center
El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen
Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn

Been to Ledson Hotel? Share your experiences!