“Really Disappointed”

Cross street: 1st St. E
Berkeley
“Really Disappointed”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This WAS one of the go to places in Sonoma. I'm sorry guys it's not great Italian food.
On Sunday night the place was packed with loud groups. Not a romantic setting to be sure. The staff was ok, no where near as attentive as say LaSalette.
The big problem seemed to be the food was kept on the kitchen shelf for a few minutes too long so it was not hot but not cold enough to send back. Our portions were plentiful but not all that great. A mixed salad instead of the Caesar we ordered with a bit too much vinegar. The cannelloni was very saucy but the filling lacked any distinct flavors. The veal, which was recommended was almost over the tough line and of course also luke warm.
I reported back to my office friends who travel up to Sonoma regularly and they all agreed it should be avoided.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank oldjgw

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Great Italian”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

While in Sonoma we ate here and it was an excellent choice. Greeted immediately and seated with a nice selection of dishes on the menu. although the bread could have been better and was on the dry side, the appetizer and main dishes were excellent. my wife had the pasta with duck sauce and I had the special of linguine with mushrooms. So tasty even though I was full I was wishing there was more to eat! A quaint place to eat while visiting wine country.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Gmbflorida
San Jose, California
“Della Santina's did not disappoint!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stopped here last year for lunch and decided on this trip try it again. I had the cannelloni , veal & chicken with tomato and béchamel sauce. Portions are large and enough for 2 meals. Dining partner had the duck. Perfectly cooked, not greasy at all. The bread that comes with the meal is so good I wish they would sell it. Service is attentive without being in your face and I liked the fact that they do not rush you. Lunch was a good time to stop there, skip breakfast so you can enjoy lunch!
After living in Northern Italy for 3 years, this was like a trip back in time.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank shermansj
Boston, Massachusetts
“The "feel" of a great Italian restaurant and the food and service to back it up.”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

You leave a very unassuming exterior behind as soon as you enter the restaurant. As many of the reviewers have written, it brings you back to the wonderful Rome and Florence cafe style restaurants we have visited. We sat out back in a lovely cafe style Italian ambience. So nice yet definately not stuffy. From there it was all about the food and wine and service which we found to be excellent.

Sometimes you can tell alot about a restaurant, the owner, and the staffs training when you throw a wrench into the mix. We arrived to our reservation 45 minutes early. A first for us and it may never happen again. After a 46 mile bicycle ride through Somoma and Napa we were ready to eat and then eat some more. The staff told us to get a glass of wine and they would see if they could find us a nice table. The place was packed and we were very doubtful that we would be seated as quickly as my stomach wanted. To our surprise, after only a few sips of our wine, we were escorted to our table in the rear outdoor cafe. They not only accomidated us, but made us feel that it was not a problem and that they did it effortlessly.

We enjoyed it. I hope you do to!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank JDhappyfeet
Knoxville, TN
“Good and Plenty”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We showed up without reservations on a weeknight. It was busy, but we got in - We just didn't get to sit on the patio.

We thought the service, atmosphere, and food were all first rate. Portions were large, but not overly so.

I had gnocchi, which was superb. My wife had a mushroom pasta which was to die for. Really, really good.

Not much else to say. This was just a very good dining experience all the way around.

• Visited October 2013