“Great authentic Italian food and restaurant in Sonoma”

Della Santina's Trattoria
Ranked #15 of 127 Restaurants in Sonoma
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1st St. E
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I came to Sonoma for the Holidays to visit some area wineries. We enjoy fine dining and decided to try out Della Santini's one evening. The experience was wonderful.
Initially, we did have to work the staff to move us to a more interior table as it was too cold where they first say us. The manager was accomodating which was great! The food was very well prepared and tasted wonderful. We have travelled to Italy on a number of occasion and did feel like it was an authentic experience both in flavor and atmospere. We brought in a bottle as often done in this area of California and paid a reasonable corkage fee.
We did have desert as well, which is not frequent for us, and it was very nice. The owner did also graceously give us a limoncello drink to eat our meal which reminded us of being in Italy.
We had a wonderful experience and would return.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We dined here in early December, and despite it being mid week and rainy, the restaurant was full. The owner and staff were very friendly and helped us select an excellent bottle of wine at a reasonable price. The food was very good, though I was disappointed by the pasta dish selection, which were few and neither traditional nor creative. I would return.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Great Italian fare, not fussy or overdone. Like homemade. Servers and staff were friendly and helped to create a fun, relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

We always make time for one dinner at Della Santina's when we visit Sonoma.
The food reminds me of dinner my Italian Grandparent's home, especially the Pappardelle w/Bolognese Sauce.
The first time we visited in 1996 we enjoyed lunch and the only folks speaking English was my wife and I. The others spoke Italian. Mostly the old winemakers including Sylvia Sebastiani her son Don and Sylvia's brother. We knew then we would find great food and we did.
Not at all pretentious just wonderful homestyle food like Grandma used to make.
Over the years we have had most everything including but not limited to Penne Contadina which is a penne with sausage and a simple tomato sauce, Pollo allo Spiedo is an delicious half chicken with fresh herbs cooked on a rotisserie, Braciola di Maiale a pork chop top with an earthy mushroon reduction. The last time October 2012 my wife enjoyed the Gamberoni Dorati, prawns finished in a wine, lemon and butter reduction which she said ws the best ever.
I don't think you can "have everything" unless you live nearby as the menu changes over time.
You will also find a lovely selection of salads and at least a couple of house made soups.
Oh, and the wine list is extraordinary and within a moderate price range up to about $50.
Della Santinas also offers a wine club wherin "Our goal is to bring our cellar to your home".
For wonderful and tasty wine country meal this is the place.
Don't forget "the girl and the fig" diagonally across the park/plaza from Della Santinas for an oustanding experience as well!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Della Santina is nestled in an old stone building just off the southeast corner of Sonoma's historic Plaza. The Della Santina family has owned and operated this restaurant for many years, and we can always count on a great meal and delightful experience. The wait staff has been with them for years and the atmosphere is an intimate blend of old Sonoma mixed with the Italian heritage and accents of the Della Santina family. The Tuscan-style Italian food is consistently good, and it has become our first choice whenever we decide to walk to the Plaza, enjoy a pleasant evening dining in our home town, and then walking home. In the spring summer and fall the patio is especially nice. My wife always orders the prawns dore, while I prefer one of their pasta specials. We often begin with a glass of prosecco before ordering, and just relax as though we were in a patio somewhere in Italy.