“Wonderful Dinner”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had a delicious dinner at The Swiss Hotel + Bar--average pricing + large portions-the wine that our server suggested went perfectly with our dinner!

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I am a big fan of mussels but the mussels and clams with chorizo here blew me away. Delicious broth, perfect tomato garlic base with just the right amiunt of spice. Very pleased with overall experience. Our waitress was so attentive and I'm all about the service. My husband and I really enjoyed our lunch sitting on the patio. Little on pricey side but I don't mind when it's worth it! There are other restaurants in area with good food if you're just looking to grab a quick bite but go here if you want to sit and relax and savor your meal and the views.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This review pertains only to the restaurant. My wife and I had dinner here Friday night (9/6). We were not impressed. First, our seating was in close proximity to one of the loudest, most vulgar parties I have ever had to sit through. Everyone in the party was "over the top" with alcohol and my wife and I could barely hear each other even though we were leaning over our table within a foot or two of each other. Food was OK but average. After waiting for 40 minutes for our appetizer, the rest. mgr. came over and said "Your waitress failed to inform you that we are out of what you ordered". "Please select another appetizer". We did (grilled polenta) that was tasty and generous...and they graciously comp-ed us on the dish which was appreciated. For entrees, I had the seafood special...scallops and shrimp in a creamy pasta...it was OK but bland. My wife also had a "special"...the ribeye steak. It was cooked OK but looked like the type that comes with your eggs in the morning. Roughly 1/2 inch thick...again, mediocre. Oh...BTW, don't order the "Dirty Pond" Pinot. It's the cheapest wine on the list at $24.00 (most are in the $35-50 range) so we thought we'd give it a shot and see if we discovered a hidden gem...we didn't.
I don't think we'll be back here. Overall service was extremely slow (we were there for almost 3 hours). The restaurant falied to address the obvious disruptive behavior of the party. We weren't the only ones complaining...a couple of diners near us kept exchanging disapproving stares. There are, fortunately, many other restaurants in Sonoma

Reviewed September 3, 2013

No offence to the Swiss, but one woulld not normally expect a memorable meal in Switzerland. I've been there, and while the food was certainly good, none of the meals are on my top 25 list. The Swiss Hotel Restaurant in Sonoma is a different matter. The building dates from 1836 when California was part of Mexico and Gen. Vallejo's brother built it as his home. The photographic displays of old California displayed in the lobby and 100+ year old bar is, in itself, worth the stop. We didn't stay in one of the 5 modern rooms in the hotel, but we did greatly enjoy a meal in the Outdoor Garden to the rear of the main dining area. The service was excellent; friendly servers and wait-staff were always just a glance away. We ordered a bottle of Gundlach Bundschu Cabernet to start. The wine list features mid-point wines from $30 to $80, all from California as you might expect. There are chicken, steaks and fish, but their strong suit is country Italian and we highly recommend that you experiment within this hearty and flavorful category. My wife ordered the risotto of the day and I had sausage, peppers and onions. Both were outstanding. The risotto was cooked perfectly (easy to over or under cook with unfortunate results) and the sausage dish was a delightful mix of flavor and texture. The portion sizes were just right so we could almost finish everythig without feeling either over-fed or guilty. For dessert, the pièce de résistance: Glariffee. It's a liqueur that somewhat reminds one of Irish whiskey, but smoother. My wife ordered the chilled coffee drink and I had the Glariffee sundae. A perfect end to a wonderful meal.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had lunch there. I had penne pasta, wife had pulled pork sandwich and niece had seafood ravioli. All were good esp. the penne. Service was good. We had to wait 20 minutes.