“wish I could give it more stars”

Swiss Hotel Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 123 Restaurants in Sonoma
Cuisines: Bar, American, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sonoma County, California
“wish I could give it more stars”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I really wish I could give the Swiss a higher rating. Sometimes it deserves it, sometimes it doesn't.

The building is an old one, it has "atmosphere," and there is an outside patio for dining. (Darn the flies, though.) It's a good place to take out-of-town guests because of the uniqueness of the building.

(The following pluses and minuses are based on several visits)
On the plus side:
Service is always good -- friendly, efficient.
Food is often good.
Nice salads (very fond of the wedge).
On my last visit, I had a portobella mushroom/eggplant over polenta dish which was great.
Desserts are good too.
Sunday lunches have a "juicy Lucy" burger which is exceptional.
Pizzas can be good.

On the minus side:
Food is often mediocre.
A crab special was sent back.
A steak was tough and stringy.
Mashed potatoes were cold.
Pizzas can be average.

So, I guess the bottom line is that you just never know whether your experience will be good or mediocre.

But -- I do keep going back.

• Visited August 2012

Richmond, United Kingdom
“Very good quality food”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We visited this restaurant without a reservation, quite late on a busy evening. The waitress was very friendly and efficient. We were sitting outside at the back of the restaurant.

We enjoyed our starter but when the main course arrived my husband's meal was wrong. He had ordered a steak, and a pork chop arrived. The waitress was very appologetic, but as we had arrived so late, our meals were the last ones cooked and the grills had been turned off.My husband ate and very much enjoyed the pork chop. My meal was also excellent.

When the bill arrived, my husband's main course had been taken off, which he brought up with the waitress, who stubbornly refused to put it back on, as it had been her error.

The food was excellent, and the suroundings were very pleasant. We'll certainly be back next time we're in Sonoma.

• Visited August 2012