“Hidden Gem - It's a Favorite!”
Review of Keating Wines

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Keating Wines
Ranked #82 of 119 things to do in Sonoma
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Let me start off this review with what will soon become very obvious: I'm a huge fan of Keating Wines.

Here's why:

1) Great staff -- Eric Keating and his staff are friendly, warm, and inviting. I've lost count of the wineries I've visited where the hospitality is so poor that it can ruin the wine tasting experience. That won't happen here. Just a friendly bunch of people to enjoy a tasting with.

2) Incredible wines -- These are some of the best tasting, most affordable, and highest rated wines you'll find in wine country, imho. Every single wine (Eric only has reds at this point but there's a rumor this will change in the future) is worth a purchase -- I'm partial to the Rockpile Malbec but I've purchased cases of the Merlot, Zin, and Cabernet as well. I've shared every single wine on their roster with friends and family at various gatherings and dinner parties. Every single person has raved about the wine. No one has been disappointed.

3) The location -- If you're coming from the Peninsula and heading into Sonoma, it's the perfect first stop of your day. There's tons of parking, tons of seating, tons of room at the tasting counters, and a great place to just unwind for a short while. Would it be nice to see Keating Wines move up the Arnold or 12 in the future? Sure, but there's something really appealing about this location as a first stop. It's a plus.

4) The value -- I touched on this point above in the chat about the wine themselves, but it's rare these days to find a $5 tasting at a winery. It's also refundable if you purchase a bottle and there's no reason not to at least try the Merlot or Zins for the discount. Every wine is priced well -- Some may say that the Beck III is expensive at just under $100. I'll agree that it's expensive, but it's the perfect wine to open for special occasions. It's also aging incredibly well (I've got a few of the 2008's) and should cellar well for another 10 years easy.

I could go on... but I think i've made my point. I don't think you'll regret stopping by and experiencing a tasting. If you do go, be certain to grab a bottle of the Rockpile Malbec. It's really that good.

(Also posted on Yelp!)

Reviewed October 12, 2012

This place is mixed in with some cool art galleries and a neat sculpture garden. Tasting costs are typical of the area Wine was decent but a little over priced in my eyes.