“Almost Paris” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Centre du Vin - CLOSED

Centre du Vin
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Taylorsville, Utah
“Almost Paris”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I wandered into their open air interior and was transported to the City of Lights. They offer wine tastings but i was there for lunch and dared not indulge. I could never have asked for a more attentive waiter.

I ordered the Croque Monsieur but added an egg to make it a Croque Madame. Actually a lot better than I had at an airport hotel bar near CDG.

I do not believe you will be disappointed if you choose to dine here.

Visited July 2014

Saint Louis, Missouri
“perfect for afternoon drinks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

we have yet to eat here but have made numerous stops for midday or evening drinks. it has such a inviting, comfortable feel. almost feels like you are in france.
the bartenders and servers are very polite and knowledgeable. great wine & great beer.

• Visited October 2013
“Meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

This was ok - not great. For the price I expect more. The wine was good. The fish was a bit undercooked. The sauces were heavy cream. Not an awful experience but just not what it should be.

Leawood, Kansas
“Enjoyable Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

We were in Sonoma to explore some of the vineyards and decided to have dinner before returning to the hustle and bustle of San Francisco's waterfront. After walking the entire square, we chose Centre du Vin, which is a part of the Ledson Hotel and owned by the Ledson winery.

We were seated outside with a view to the square which made great people watching (My daughter made friends with two passing dogs.) The afternoon sun was bright but we were shaded by an awning. The menu isn't overwhelming but offers a nice variety of meat, seafood and pasta.

We started with a table appetizer of Mussels & Frites which were done in a broth of wine and chorizo. Wow, what a nice combination. The mussels were as fresh as they come and the chorizo flavored elixir was lip smacking good. The plate was accompanied by thin french fried potatoes that rivaled the best McDonalds could produce. The broth made a great accompaniment.

I ordered a wedg salad that I shared with my wife. Plenty of blue cheese and dressing. For one, that would be a meal in itself but it was a refeshing way to clear the palette. For my main dish I ordered Duck Duo. Normally you don't see duck breast and duck confit on the same plate. Each is prepared very differently and taste very distinctively different. But both were presented on one plate by the Ledson kitchen. Wow. Perfectly done and served with a combination of Brocollini and Asparigus done al dente. Tres bon!

My wife shared a plate of Steak & Frites with our picky young daughter, who also had a caesar salad. The steak was tasty though a bit overcooked and dry. It was accompanied by the same delicious fries that came with the mussels. The Caesar Salad was not particularly noteworthy. My wedge salad was much tastier.

I chose to take a glass of Ledson's Zina Hyde Cunningham Dry Creek Red Zinfandel which wasn't really to my liking. I have found that Sonoma wines, at least the ones I sampled on this day, had a bitter aftertaste. This one was no different but it seemed to mellow over the course of the dinner. Or maybe my food complemented the wine and knocked off the bitter edges. Ravenswood (Sonoma) Red Zin is one of my favorites table wines so my taste could have been off.

All in all, it was a delicious meal. Service was good, though not terribly cheerful. The waiter seemed very reserved but also very accommodating.

We chose not to do dessert here because there was an ice cream place a wee bit down the road. So we paid our bill which came to $167 including tip. I will be back to Centre du Vin again if for nothing else, the awesome Duck Duo.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London
“Great location but poor service...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Location great. Menu very French but with definite reliable American items and leanings.

Our problem is that we had been in California for 11 days ranging from a great B&B at Yosemite to the Four Seasons in SF City and finally found somewhere to actually complain about the service. Our Server, Jessica? Left quite a lot to be desired - and they were hardly busy!

Food was OK but not great. Worth a quick lunch in our opinion but not a go to place and we may not go back even if staying locally again.

The manager did run over when it was obvious that something was up and went some way to repair the damage caused by a poor server who didn't enjoy life or her job it seemed! Avoid Jessica's tables.....

Loved Sonoma though! And there are some lovely places to eat - El Dorado springs to mind for a great evenings meal on their terrace. (Girl and Fig is another)

Visited June 2014