“fabulous find”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Tampa, FL
“fabulous find”
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We read the reviews, both positive and negative, and took a chance. The place is delightful! The landscaping is fantastic. Check out the roses in the parking lot. It is an older motel, however it is evident that the owners care for the place, as everything is top shelf.
The location is a short drive, about one mile, from the square in Sonoma.
My wife and I travel quite a bit, and we were thrilled with this place. We would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to friends.

• Liked — The landscaping is amazing
  • Disliked — Nothing I didn't like
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Casacarajo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Slovak first
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed August 1, 2007

Great value for your money! Stayed in the Sonoma room and it was heaven. Nice and big, clean and had wonderful beds.
The pool was nice and away from the room so as not to bother people but not too far. Continental breakfast was great and plentiful with a nice area to eat it in. People there were helpful and wonderful to talk with. Will stay there again.

• Liked — cleanliness, amenitys, room size
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
san francisco, CA
Reviewed December 19, 2006

The rooms where nice had no problems with service, until I received my credit card bill. They added a $200.00 charge. When I called todisute this charge, they told me that they had evidence of me smoking in anon smoking room. Well I don't smoke, that is the reason for getting a non smoking room. They said they had evidence that I did. They videoed my room well to make a long stroy short. Imin the middle of a dispute with the management. Charging my credit card without first contacting me explaining this extra charge.

• Liked — Spacious, nice fireplace,big bathroom.
  • Disliked — no opinion
  • Stayed November 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank marialenalh
Maryland
Reviewed December 6, 2006

We traveled to Napa Valley and Sonoma County in June 2006 and stayed in El Pueblo Inn for two nights in two separate Sonoma rooms. There were 8 people in our party (4 kids ages 15, 9,4,2). I felt confident before going to this hotel based on the travelers' great reviews. When we arrived, the front desk staff was lukewarm to the point of being cold. We asked for directions and points of interests in Sonoma from the front desk supervisor and her response was indifferent, almost rude. She wasn't interested at all in telling us where to go and believe it or not she has not even heard of COPIA. The rooms are well-appointed and clean. I was mostly pleased with the rooms but the location of this hotel or inn is not very appealing; it was disappointing. The surrounding area is comprised of auto repair shops, small strip malls, closed down stores, and not so great looking restaurants although Girl and the Fig is about 3 minutes away by car. Wasn't too impressed with girl and the fig. With 4 kids and two elderly people in tow, we wine tasted at V. Sattui, Mondavi, Luis Martini, Silver Oak, and Duckhorn (got lost looking for Frog's Leap). My husband and son went on a hot air balloon the following day with Adventures Aloft (a little more expensive than the rest but well worth it). They waited over half an hour for my husband to get there because he got lost (went the opposite way of Route 29). When my husband and I return to Napa with just the two of us, we will definitely stay in one of the more upscale hotels in Napa.

6 Thank fortune5
Mountain View, California
Reviewed November 19, 2006

El Pueblo Inn completely met my expectations after reading a handful of the reviews on this site. Yes it felt like a motor-inn as we drove up, but who cares? It was overall very clean and (perhaps because it was Fall in Wine Country) just very cozy! If you are expecting a 5-star, luxurious, top notch service hotel this is probably not the place for you. But if you are looking for a convenient, clean, comfy place to stay in Sonoma for a really decent price ($175 with my mom's senior/AAA discount) this could definitely be it.

My mom and I spent a "Girls Weekend" in Sonoma and stayed in a Sonoma Room (not an Adobe room) which looked to be a newer, brighter and cleaner option as per the photos we previously found on the motel's website. We had 2 queen sized beds for 1 night (Saturday). The beds were VERY comfortable: firm but not hard, with high thread-count sheets and light down comforters. I distinctly remember lying there commenting "these sheets smell so clean!" The bathroom was bright and also very clean. There were 2 comfortable recliners in the room which were perfect for lounging and reading. The TV had 60-some channels (your basic extended cable options - I didn't notice any HBO or Cinemax, but CNN, ESPN, Food, HGTV were all there). There was free high-speed Internet access if you have your own ethernet cable - plugs into the wall near the desk. I never picked up any WIFI whatsoever: neither pay nor free. There was a roomy little balcony with 2 plastic Adirondack style chairs which looked out over a pleasant fountain in the garden courtyard. They turned the fountain off from around 10:30pm-8:30am even though we were hoping to listen to overnight (I suppose not everyone enjoys the sound of running water while sleeping!)

The motel had plenty of parking in the lot. There was a pleasant little (complimentary) breakfast in a room next to the motel lobby in the morning from 7-10am. It was satisfying but nothing more than a glorified continental breakfast. The motel was a little too far from the downtown Sonoma Plaza to walk (a bit over a mile?), but took no more than 3-5 minutes to drive. Everything feels close in the area however, so I never felt far from anything.

Unless I suddenly grow a much, much fatter wallet or a truly special occasion arises - I would definitely stay here again! Perfect for a nice, casual weekend away!

Stayed November 2006
2 Thank lkturtle
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed October 11, 2006

"Forced" to stay in Sonoma due to car breakdown...and called the El Pueblo. Beautiful landscaping and spacious grounds for such a reasonably priced property. Double beds were a bit thin, but service very helpful, pleasant little breakfast the next morning. It's about 5-6 blocks off Sonoma Square. I plan to return here...often!

• Liked — Attractive clean rooms
  • Disliked — beds a little thin
  • Tips/Secrets — just go!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I stayed here during a friend's wedding in Sonoma. Most of the wedding party stayed here, too. I have to say that I was disappointed when we arrived at the El Pueblo. I really wasn't expecting the motor lodge look. I stayed in the Adobe (older) building, and the room really left a LOT to be desired. It was very dark, the furnishings were horribly out of date, and the room just felt old and worn. The bathroom was very clean, thankfully, and the room was made-up daily, but it really wasn't worth the price. The Sonoma (newer) building had much nicer rooms with brand-new furnishings and lighting - significantly better. I was envious of the friends that had decided to spend the extra money on the newer rooms. The location is good - only about a mile from Sonoma Square and all the conveniences you could need are right in the neighborhood - supermarket, bank, convenience store, great bakery. So, overall, disappointed w/ the decor, but very satisfied with the location and the grounds (nice pool and garden area).

• Liked — Location - close to Sonoma Square and Rt. 12 for vineyards
  • Disliked — rooms were below average
  • Tips/Secrets — be careful driving on Rt. 12, where all the vineyards are located - there are a lot of drunk drivers going from one place to another!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank TravelChickDC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center
El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen
Olea Hotel
Olea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Glen Ellen

Been to El Pueblo Inn? Share your experiences!