“It was great... until...”
Review of El Pueblo Inn

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We wanted a hotel that was in or close to Sonoma square - my #1 choice was full, but El Pueblo was my #2, so it seemed like a perfect fit. We checked in and I was blown away by how friendly the front desk staff were, they gave us a map, had candy on the counter and told us about the complimentary wine tasting the next night. That was where our enjoyable experience ended.

On our first night after our dinner reservation, we returned back to the hotel. At 9:30, my fiance suggested we watch tv before going to bed. I have sensitive ears, so I like the volume low. We had been watching all of 10 minutes before my fiance told me the front desk called saying that a neighbor had called about being able to hear our tv. It was also 9:30pm at night, not 2 am. I called the front desk back and asked to move to a different room so that we would be able to watch tv - I obviously didn't want to keep it on after signing the noise agreement upon check in - they said they wouldn't be able to do that and that they had walked past our room and weren't able to hear the tv from outside, so they would offer the guest earplugs if they called back. We could hear our neighbors tv all day long the next day, so keep in mind the walls are thin.

The next morning, I decided to get coffee for us from the complimentary breakfast bar. As I was walking back to my room, I said signs posted all over a few of the hotel doors that stated "The California Health Department has declared the water in this room unsafe for drinking. All occupants must keep out. The water in this room has been shown to cause birth defects and excessive birth rates. The Health Department has declared this water unfit for human consumption".

Now, if that's true for one room, wouldn't that be true for all? I called the front desk in a panic as I had filled up my water bottle the night before, they informed me that a wedding had occurred and the signs were a joke from the groom's father. Later that day at the pool, a few other guests stated the signs had been up for days and they had been worried too. If that was true, if I'm going to get a call from the front desk for my neighbors being able to hear my tv even at a low volume, why in the world would they let people keep those signs up for days?

The final incident was when around 9 am, my fiance and I were getting ready to leave to tour some wineries. Without even knocking, our front door opened - while I was in the middle of getting dressed!! - and the housekeeper walked into our room. She stood there looking at us, until I finally said that we would be leaving in about 30 minutes and would hang the "please service" sign on our door. She did not apologize and awkwardly stood there until I asked her to return. I know that accidents happen, but the lack of an apology was really unsettling to me.

I was sad to see that our experience was not an enjoyable one, the flowers on the property are beautiful as is the hot tub/pool area, but those are the only great things I have to say. There are many properties in Sonoma square and I would recommend trying there. Our experience was so unenjoyable, I really wish it had been better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Liz9852013
Kaala S, Guest Relations Manager at El Pueblo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Liz9852013,

I am so glad that you took the time to leave your review for us.

I sincerely apologize for the issues you dealt with during your stay- I am very surprised by several of them and I feel disappointed that you had to experience them while you lodged with us.

I apologize for your TV noise issues. I imagine that one of our front desk clerks was a little over zealous in trying to keep all the guests comfortable with the noise levels. I wish that we had had a room to move you to where you would have been more comfortable, and I am sorry you had to experience that.

I am extremely uncomfortable with what you described as signs posted on our doors about possible birth defects, etc. And I will absolutely be talking to all staff about this incident. EVEN if it was a joke it is unacceptable and it will not happen again.

I am so disappointed that a housekeeper walked into your room without knocking or proper warning. That would certainly irritate/embarrass me and I do apologize. Again, I will be talking to our staff about that.

It seems that you experienced a few low points in our quality of service and I apologize. We will use the information you have provided to improve.

Please feel free to call me at 1 800 900 8844 EX. 409 or email me: kaala@elpuebloinn.com at anytime to discuss this matter further.

Best Regards

Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was our base for 4 nights, we spent time exploring the area and having some down time, after a transatlantic flight and hectic few days in San Fransisco.
What a great find - the staff were so friendly and helpful.
The family room was spacious, with 2 large beds, recliners and great balcony. The bathroom was huge and well equipped.
The pool was so clean and the gardens beautifully maintained.
This is an ideally placed motel to visit Sonoma and pop into Napa. It is very comfortable, the staff are great.
Breakfast still needs some work - but toast on the balcony is good for us.
I would recommend this to anyone and if I'm fortunate to be in the area would come back.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chrispk2

Hello Chrispk2, and thank you for your review!

I'm glad to hear that you found your room comfortable and were able to enjoy our pool and garden areas. We hope that your time in the wine country was relaxing and fun!
We are most assuredly working on our breakfast still, thank you for your patience.

If you are ever in the north bay area again we hope to be able to host you!

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were staying in Sonoma for a day for some wine tastings and booked this place based on Tripadvisor reviews. I must say I was a bit skeptical when I saw that the place had been charged as "El Pueblo Motel" to my credit card, but I was definitely positively surprised when we finally arrived (and this was not only due to the free candy at the reception). The room was clean, rather modern and spacious and there was plenty of parking space. As it was very warm in Sonoma the pool are quickly became our favourite. The location is good, and breakfast was included, however, you better be at breakfast quite early as things seem to run out quicker than they manage to fill them up. Great value for you money in my opinion!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kaala S, Guest Relations Manager at El Pueblo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Linda N.,

Thank you for your review of our property here on TripAdvisor. I hope that you enjoyed your stay here in the wine country!

I'm glad to hear that you found your room comfortable and that you were able to enjoy our pool area!

I'm sorry that you had a struggle with our breakfast. We are currently reworking the way we organize our breakfast room and we are excited about becoming more efficient and better able to serve our guests!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We booked three Sonoma rooms and two of them had fireplaces which actually helped to relieve the chill of some unexpected cool weather - a great feature! One of the rooms was the last one on the west side of the property near the pool and adjacent to the Sonoma Hwy, which was noisier than the other two (because of the road, not the pool). So try to stay on the east end if possible. Our bathroom also had a skylight which was a nice way to get some natural light, so try to stay on the second floor too (I assume skylights are not possible on the ground floor!). The breakfast buffet was pretty good - just seemed like there were not enough bowls since they only managed to get a couple at a time out of the kitchen! So we ate toast... Try to enjoy the grounds as much as possible - they are beautiful!

Room Tip: Top floor on the east side
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Toltriaco,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in Sonoma and thank you for reviewing us!

I'm glad to hear that you were comfortable during your stay and that you enjoyed our gardens. I'm sure that our grounds staff will be happy to hear that their hard work pays off!

I'm sorry that you encountered problems while having our continental breakfast. We are currently making some changes in there and we will certainly take into account what you have mentioned.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Not going to lie at first appearance my boyfriend and I questioned where we had made a reservation because it looked a little Motelish. However, walking into the lobby and being greeted by such friendly staff and seeing how nicely appointed things were our worries went out the window. The staff is amazing at this resort, anytime I walked into the lobby no matter the time of day or night someone was there to greet me with a huge smile and offer as much help as they could. We were only at this hotel for one night while touring wine country and it is in a great location to the vineyards and the small downtown area (about a mile away).

The bed was so comfortable and the room (a king with a fireplace) was very roomy. I question the placement of the rocking recliner chairs because they don't face the fireplace or the tv - its like they are facing a wall (perhaps we weren;t there long enough to enjoy them). The bathroom is FABULOUS! It is so large and spacious and the lighting is perfect. I don't think I have ever stayed in such a well lit hotel. The little frog tile in the shower was a super cute touch and I loved the personality of the hotel appearing in a random place like that.

This hotel had great rates and the grounds are very well maintained. While we didnt enjoy the pool or hot tub (wine drinking took priority) I am confident in saying they are probably just as nice and clean as the rest of the Inn's grounds.

I would absolutely stay here again, however I would make one small suggestion to the hotel. I think it is awesome that you serve a continential breakfast, however those of us who are on a restricted diet (per doctors orders) can not eat all the carb laden food (pasteries, oatmeal, ceral, bagels). Perhaps some fresh fruit and yogurt with no sugar would be a simple solution? Otherwise - great place!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shlinds

Dear Shlinds,

Thank you for reviewing us! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable while you stayed with us- that is what we are always hoping to hear! Thank you for your many lovely comments- I'm especially glad you found the bathroom suitable (it was definitely designed by a woman!)

Thank you also for your suggestions about our breakfast. We are always trying to improve our offerings to better suit our guests' needs (and wants!) and we know that not everyone can indulge in delectable, sugar laden pastries, unfortunately. We do offer hard boiled egg and fruit but some plain yogurt is a great idea! Thank you!

We hope that we get the chance to host you again if you return to wine country...

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We were given a very warm welcome even though we arrived a little early. The room was comfortable, spacious and the bed so cosy.
Included is a continental style breakfast, that worked just fine for us.
The pool and hot-tub were great fun especially after a full day of tasting wine!
El Pueblo is great value for the $. We would stay here again, without a doubt.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank BrumTaffy
Kaala S, Guest Relations Manager at El Pueblo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear BrumTaffy,

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review us!
We appreciate your generous comments about our hotel- It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Whenever you get a chance to return to Sonoma we look forward to serving you again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I've been to Sonoma, Ca. at least 20 times because I had a relative there. El Pueblo was very close to the house. I've never been disappointed. Most times, I was in their Adobe King that included a DVD player and recliner chairs.
The rooms and entire grounds were very clean. Whenever I needed anything, the front desk accommodated me.
The down side was that the rates can get pricey and there's no incentive for returning guests.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Walelia55
Kaala S, Public Relations Manager at El Pueblo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Hello Walelia55 and thank you for staying with us and for reviewing us here on Tripadvisor!

I'm glad to hear that you found us accommodating during your visits to Sonoma. Thank you for mentioning incentives for returning guests- that is a fabulous idea and definitely something that we should pursue!

We hope that you will stay with us again whenever you return to Sonoma!

Warm Regards,

Kaala Stewart

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Ledson Hotel
#6 of 11 in Sonoma
El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen
Best Western Plus Elm House Inn

Been to El Pueblo Inn? Share your experiences!