“This blew my boyfriend's mind.”

Simraceway Performance Driving Center
Ranked #2 of 106 things to do in Sonoma
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A Racing School with World-class instructors operating from a state-of-the-art facility at the finest road course in America. The Simraceway Performance Driving Center graduates hundreds of career-minded racers and thousands of motoring enthusiasts each year, so whether you're seeking a life-changing experience or yearning for the experience of a lifetime, take a look at the wide range of programs and courses we offer to find out what we can do for you.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I took my boyfriend here for his birthday and his exact words were, "I don't think I'll do anything that awesome again." He did the beginner racing half - day and just absolutely loved it. Big thumbs up.

2  Thank kfizable
There are newer reviews for Simraceway Performance Driving Center

Reviewed February 2, 2014

The program was well organized and operated from start to finish. We had pretty cold conditions and the instructors rearranged the schedule to make sure the on track time was put to best use while temps were at their warmest. There were some mechanical issues with some of the cars. Didn't affect me, but if I would've lost track time due to mech issues, I would be pretty upset (since the program cost is pretty high). Seems like at this price there should be some guarantee against losing track time due to mech issues. The cars, by the way, are fantastic. Plenty fast, and and very forgiving and predictable at speed. Also the brakes are fantastic, 10x better than the Skip barber cars.

1  Thank Rstrandberg
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Really enjoyed the day,it was informative and exhilarating. I learned the capabilities of the Audi S cars and improved my skills.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Summary: Fantastic facilities, the track was a hoot and the instructors were amazing. Do this if you can!

Dec 10-11, 2013

Decided to take the two day R8 class (combination of R8 intro + progression) with the wife. She has never tracked cars before while I have experience tracking cars. Initially was skeptical about "getting my money's worth" since I do have some experience. Rest assured that I learned as much (if not more) than my wife. The programs (and especially the instructors) ensure that you learn and experience as much as you are capable of, regardless of your prior track experience (or lack there of)

Day 1 (Intro). Started the day with some "calisthenics" of slalom and corner driving after a classroom session. We used TTS' for this. Very nimble little car and a great way to get started. Instructors ensured that coaching was appropriate to the level of experience of each driver. We then took to the tracks in the RS5s to learn the general racing lines as well as to start getting the knowledge of the track reference points. Two sessions in the RS5. The final two sessions of the day were in the R8s where the great handling characteristics of the platform enabled everyone to push a little harder. Overall a great start to the series with lots of great instruction on fundamentals of driving on track at speed. Pretty much a full day and lot to digest.

Day 2: (Progression). Autocross course in the AM warmups in the TTS again. What a blast! Those little cars are made for zipping around the tight course and we all had a grand time 'hooning the car around. This was followed by 4 full sessions on the track in the R8s where we all went faster and applied all the lessons of the previous 2 days. Definitely more track and time improvement focus in day 2. Great time!

Recommendations: Take both classes back to back if the means allow. There were folks who only did the 1 day class but I think they missed out. 1st day is a ton of new info and it does take time for things to sink in. I believe the people who did the 2 day not only went faster but got a lot more out of the overall experience. Definitely recommend this for those interested and will hopefully sign up for the advance class when time permits.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I attended the raceway for a day of classroom and behind the wheel experience of several Audi products -- the TT, the RS5, and the R8. The first two were used for introductory maneuvers, handling pylons and hitting the apex on turns; the R8 was mainly for progressively challenging pace car following on the track. Instruction was competent from drivers who ply their craft professionally. The course (about 2.5 mi) was challenging (technical -- a mix of straights, hairpins, blind corners, ... lots of thinking, not just putting the accelerator to the floor) and there was great fun and much adrenaline putting the R8 through its paces. If you've never tracked a car, for about $1800, the day is well worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!