“A lovely hotel with a pretty outdoor pool and grounds”

Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 25, 2014

A very comfortable room with complimentary wine (a nice touch) and a wonderful lounge makes this a great choice for a few nights away. We loved the outdoor pool and the bar staff were also very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,301)

Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I spent 5 days at the Fairmont in February for a golf/wine getaway. We were looking for a hotel that was close to the vineyards and Sonoma Plaza, but also not too far from a golf course. The Fairmont is associated with the Sonoma Golf Club, which is only open to members and guests of the hotel. It's a beautiful course with wide open fairways and lovely views of the mountains and vineyards. The Fairmont Sonoma was one of the nicest Fairmont hotels we have stayed at - updated rooms with very comfortable space. We stayed in the Mission suites, and could not have been happier. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We were in a Mission Suite room - it was a large room with a great jacuzzi bathtub.
1  Thank Finnylynne
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Valentine's Day Weekend.
After reading some great reviews, I was disappointed in the property, the location, and the service. Location was, for lack of a better term, on the "other side of the tracks." When we arrived, we were offered self-serve or valet parking, both $$. Once we said we would self-serve park, the attendant left us. At check-in, the lobby was so loud that I had to practically yell to be heard. I didn't feel warmly greeted and/or welcomed by staff. That applies to staff throughout the grounds.

The spa was a big disappointment to me. Locker rooms were so-so, whirlpool areas were small, dark and uninviting. I knew there was a daily charge for the spa but I was willing to pay if it was worth it. Based my travels and experiences -- not worth it.

Stopped at the Big 3 for breakfast on our way out of town. After being seated, we waited for 15 minutes without anyone stopping to talk to us other than the water person, who, didn't talk to us. We walked out, unnoticed by the hostess.

On the plus side, the 2-queen bedroom suite with fireplace was a nice size and well decorated. The bathroom was also a good size. Suite was on the first floor with a window view of hedges and out the other window, a service drive. The fireplace "bag of wood" worked the first night. The second night, it wouldn't light.

Grounds looked nice, but I'll go back to The Lodge on my next visit to Sonoma.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Fairmont S, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Linda7240, Thank you for your valuable feedback. I regret and apologize that we were unable to provide the warm service we are traditionally known for and also for your disappointments with our Willow Stream Spa and Big 3 Restaurant. I have shared your feedback with our leadership team so they may use it to review their areas and ensure we are consistently providing the engaging service that we strive for at every guest interaction. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience which provides us with the opportunity to correct any areas that need attention in our ongoing quest for excellence. Warm regards, Guest Service Manager

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed overnight and as used the spa for a couples massage. They upgraded up to a one bedroom suite when we arrived, and it was so lovely. Fireplace, patio, big bathroom, comfy bed, and two TV's. The service was excellent from check in to check out.

We had a couples massage that was so nice, and the spa has a bathing ritual you do before your service, which was quite a nice experience.

From 4:30 to 5:30 they have a local winemaker pouring tastings in the main hotel lobby, along with a lovely cheese cart you can buy a cheese plate from.

In the morning we had room service, and I was pleasantly surprised to have a restaurant quality breakfast, that wasn't any more expensive than if I had walked in to breakfast.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone looking for a really fancy romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade when you check in, if they have better rooms they might give you one.
1  Thank Gala G

Dear Gala Z, Thank you for choosing the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa for your getaway and for taking the time to post your “excellent” review. We were delighted to read about your experiences of your suite, the spa and enjoying in-room dining service. We hope to see you again soon for another romantic getaway for yourself and thank you for your recommendation. Warm regards, Guest Service Manager

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Given that we were only here for one night, we did not fully take advantage of all the hotel offerings we could have if we were staying 2-3 nights. The property is gorgeous, the staff is very friendly, and there are lots of complimentary stuff (wine, coffee, internet, etc.). The lounge area is a very comfortable spot to just hang out. There was a free wine tasting and a silent art auction during our stay.

Our room was very clean, although I did find a former occupant's convention badge tucked in the corner. I also found an old housekeeper's post-it note in one of the magazines. The shower was nice and eco-friendly and the towels were better quality than many hotels I've stayed at. Our room also got plenty of natural light.

There didn't seem to be much in the way of attractions immediately outside of the resort, which was remedied by heading to the downtown area about a 10 minute drive away. We like to window shop and it would have been nice to have been able to do this without having to hop in the car.

We did not partake of Sante, the award-winning restaurant. We did eat at Big 3, the resort's breakfast establishment. I would personally recommend finding another place to eat. Our breakfast was decidedly average but on the pricey side, though the hotel did give us 20% off.

I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a retreat, getaway, or special occasion.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My friend and I were two of the lucky ones who were upgraded to a suite. Yipee! It was great because the fold out couch was very firm (maybe too firm) with no pole in the middle and we each had our own room. We went to the spa - be sure to do that when you go there. The pools are warm, but there's a great bathing ritual at the spa that's not to be missed in combination with a massage. I did the stress release massage and it was like magic. If they had them here I'd do one every weekend. Denise worked magic, I tell you! The room service was the best I've ever had anywhere, and I've had a lot. It was DELICIOUS!!! If you're tempted, go for it. The movie on demand was $18 and broke in the middle, so we had to reload it. That seems rather steep for an in-room movie, but the room service pretty much made us forget all about it. The service in the room might have been a little too good because in some ways it seemed like someone was pretty much knocking on the door for some purpose all night. Did we want a turn down? How about now? How about now? New towels? Speaking of which, there were two robes and flips flops in the room, which was convenient. Two bathrooms in a suite, too! I liked the smell of their complimentary bathroom products. Cool patio outside the suite if you're a smoker or if it's not as cold out and you want to spend some time out there. Overall, we loved it and constantly remarked that we felt like we were in heaven. We had a great time. Breakfast at Big 3 was also very good and very close by - at the end of the property.

Room Tip: One of us was a Fairmont club member, so they upgraded us to a suite. Maybe try to join before you...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Fairmont S, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Leslied2, Thank you so much for your detailed review. I am delighted you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay at our resort. Thank you especially for your commendations of Denise; she is a wonderful Spa provider. We certainly hope to welcome you back again soon for another taste of heavenly paradise. Warm regards, Guest Service Manager

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed here, solo, as a treat to myself! I had a great mani/pedi in the spa and indulged in the amazing pools (worth the trip alone) - fabulous top notch service from when I dropped my car off with Pierre and went to my treatment, and then checked into my room. My room was perfectly sized for me, and as always, an overly large bathroom full of marble and goodness that makes me feel like a diva - as Fairmont's should.

I took my laptop down to the lobby, where you can order drinks and tapas from the bar. I had great, but at times slow, service, and had the lobster mac and cheese which is a tiny portion for what you pay (but I know where I am, so whatever!) and noting else excited me on the bar menu. So I drank a bit more, and they were super sweet to let me order off the room service menu ;) I had a burger in the lounge at the fireplace and enjoyed myself!!!!

My sleep was restful. The next morning, my shower was a bit tough to turn on (I'm a petite person and didn't have the strength - keep in mind: historic property with vintage hardware), but I had service in no time and my need to have my shower turned on was called "the easiest call of the day!" by the lovely maintenance man.

No time to enjoy breakfast...I had a meeting in Sonoma. But a wonderful time - I can't WAIT to go back! I have been here a few times for the spa, but never to spend the night.

And don't forget: become a President's Club member, it's worth it!

Top notch!

Room Tip: You can't fail here, but if you need tons of room (again, this is an old property) get a suite...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Sarah S
Fairmont S, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Sarah, Thank you for taking the time to post your “great” and detailed review. I was delighted to read about your spa time, top notch service, and overall visit. We certainly hope to welcome you back again soon. Best regards, Guest Service Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center
Inn at Sonoma, A Four Sisters Inn
7 mi away
Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn

Been to Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!