Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Premium Sonoma wines and a wonderful wine experience

Reviewed August 14, 2017

from $163.05
from $239.00
from $139.00
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

This is one place you have to go, if you want to get the whole wine experience in a sophisticated boutique winery, with an accessible and outstanding Australian wine maker (Ben Cane) who will join your tasting if he is in town and provide a wonderful illuminating insight into his premium wines.

It's hard to choose when you are in Sonoma and there are so many wineries in close proximity. But if you like exceptional Chardonnays and Roussanne, or you have a special interest in Rhone varietals or you simply love soft but beautifully complex Pinots, this is the place for you!

We loved this place and are going back to Australia with a case of wines that will help us fondly remember our trip to Sonoma. I thoroughly recommend seeking out Westwood Wines and ask to meet the Winemaker, if you are planning to be in Sonoma county any time soon.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank surfergirlbp
Reviewed July 29, 2016

I visited Westwood Winery by myself on a Sunday afternoon. I made a booking on my mobile phone, but I don't believe it is always necessary to do so.

The tasting room has the feel of an open plan dining / family room. Large parties can sit on a dining table that seats 10. There are also a couple of other sofas and chairs.

I booked a standard tasting via mobile, but I was able to choose between that and Rhone ($40) or Pinot ($50) when I showed up. The tasting is aided by beautifully designed tasting cards that describe the wine. You are also helped by a voice over by the wine guru. I believe her name was Donna.

The sequencing of the Rhone tasting is well-thought through, moving from white, to red blends (side by side), red varietals and one Pinot. You can order wines individually by bottle or through a quarterly club. The wines are in the $40+ range, which is double my normal price point. Partly for that reason, the wines were better than I typically drink at home!

I am unfamiliar with California wines, so I left the experience with a greater appreciation of at least a few of them.

If you are like me and don't typically drink wine in the $40-$60 range, this is an opportunity to have a taste of high quality wine, introduced to you by a friendly expert. Buy a bottle or two and get your tasting fee waived.

Date of experience: July 2016
1  Thank gocats89
Reviewed December 10, 2015

This place is down a long narrow alley way just off the Sonoma square. The decor is modern yet rustic, the wines are truly delicious; made in small artisan batches, their staff is knowledgeable and warm, plus they are farming the vineyard biodynamically. I would definitely recommend checking them out, as they are a small, boutique brand that is taking off. Be sure to make an appointment, as the tasting room doesn't have a huge capacity for guests.

Date of experience: October 2015
WestwoodWine, Manager at Westwood Estate Wines, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2015

Thank you so much for your review! We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed September 15, 2015

We heard of Westwood Estates wines through our daughter and so on our visit to wine country, we made sure that we made an appointment to visit. There are two things we loved about this place: the atmosphere (there's no bar) and two the extremely knowledgeable staff. It was such a pleasant change to come into a place, sit down, and have a very nice conversation over a flight of wines. We felt like we were in their living room. The thing they do different here is knowledge. They have a knowledge of wine, of the brand, of the area, and all in a way that makes you feel completely comfortable. We liked it so much that we joined their allocation program!!

Date of experience: September 2015
1  Thank Winegirl21
WestwoodWine, Manager at Westwood Estate Wines, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2015

Welcome to Westwood! We are so excited to have you as a part of our membership and greatly appreciate your positive feedback. We look forward to hosting you again soon and the Fall Release is coming very soon!!!

Reviewed September 11, 2015

As the other reviewers have said this place is off the beaten path but well worth the trip.
The staff was great and the wines were delicious. Highly recommended if you are a wine lover.

Date of experience: August 2015
WestwoodWine, Manager at Westwood Estate Wines, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2015

Thanks so much for your visit! We hope to see you back on your trip to wine country!