“Very cozy in the cottages!”

The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 8, 2006

I read some very mixed reviews on this property and after staying there chose the "average" rating due to a few things. Being that we were able to get a $219 rate, it was winter, and it was New Years Weekend, I opted to stay in the cottages rather than the "regular" rooms figuring we'd probably be spending some significant time in our room. I was glad I did since it really rained that weekend and we did spend time in the room. The fireplace was nice but the "on/off" switch kind of kills the real feeling of a fire! The Sonoma Mission Inn gives you real firewood which is a real plus with the crackling fire, smoked wood smell, etc. Oh well, at least we had a fireplace at all!

We had a few issues while staying here (no soap in the bathroom upon check in, toilet almost overflowed, fireplace stopped working and then was re-ignited). All were fixed but it got a little old calling the front desk--we started to feel like we were "high maintenance" and we were just trying to make things right! It does appear that some of the cottages may be more updated than others in terms of the bathroom. Ours was very small and closed in--didn't have shutters looking into the bedroom as others mentioned in their reviews.

Overall, though, our stay was great, the staff was very friendly and responsive and the cottages were cozy--smaller than I expected but a good weekend winter getaway nonetheless. We did go to the spa and I had a massage. Very nice! Ask for a woman named "Tizza." She's very good.

I would definitely stay here again if the rate was reasonable (around what I paid or less).

2  Thank pamtravels

Reviewed January 1, 2006

Stayed to visit relatives during the holidays. Found the Lodge's "cottage roooms" had the feel of new tract condos. Looked like the place was recently poured from some formula design - pleasant and freshly new, but no character or charm. Push button fireplaces. Stark concrete walkways with new landscaping that has not yet taken root. And what is with the bathtub IN the room? Is this the nouveau California version of the heart shaped tubs in those old Sixties resorts in the Poconos? Did not try the spa that offers "chakra adjustments" and "crystal therapy" among the other more pedestrian treatments. This new age stuff is a little too old hat,except perhaps in Big Sur. And don't be fooled into believing this is a short walk from the town square, unless you like a near mile hike alongside a noisy main highway.

2  Thank boscoe55
Reviewed December 15, 2005

Lucking out with a Travelzoo speceial rate of $159 for the upgraded cottage room made it worth it. Thankfully our room was located upstairs in the cottage and faced the very pretty courtyard. The lower rooms all face the generator/power plant- this is definitely not worth $300, as another reader wrote.
We arrived from New York and very weary. We were impressed with the great room layout- vaulted ceiling, fireplace and sitting area, comfy king size bed(turned down without request while we were at dinner), a soaking tub that is seperated by shutters and complementary bath salts as well as a seperate shower room. Nicely decorated and laid out in Mission style. Not in the wineries, but very close to Gundlach-Bundschu and Gloria Ferrer. Avery friendly tasting room is on the premises if you don't feel like going far. We would stay here again if we could stay in the same cottage room at less than $175

4  Thank stickley2005
Reviewed December 11, 2005

My husband and I and three other couples just spent a weekend in Sonoma celebrating a big birthday. We stayed at the Lodge at Sonoma and were pleasantly surprised. The service and the rooms are terrific. We did stay in an upstairs cottage with a nice view of the pool area. The room was spacious and the bed very comfortable with wonderful linens. Also, the fireplace in the room was a nice addition on a cool morning. The bathroom area could use a little updating but that is the only negative feature I found. We had breakfast at their restaurant which was quite good. Also, had a wonderful birthday dinner at The Girl and The Fig. We will definitely return to this Lodge.

3  Thank mauisun
Reviewed November 30, 2005

I don't write many reviews but since I've stayed at this hotel 3 times, have used their spa twice, and have stayed here for the most important night of my life (my wedding night), I felt the need to share my expert knowledge of this property. First of all, let's be clear that this is NOT the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn (a landmark hotel in Sonoma), or The Four Seasons. But I think comparing this property to a motel is a big insult to this new, well-maintained and very popular wine country hotel. It is a Marriott property, albeit a high-end one (hence the 4 star rating and the "Renaissance" brand), so you will see certain things that remind you of a chain hotel, but it is coupled by very charming archicture and higher-end luxuries you wouldn't find in your everyday chain, not to mention the prime location between the southern Carneros wine region and the main town of Sonoma. All of this contribute to the higher room rates (yes, it is pricey but all Sonoma hotels are priced higher than they would if they were located outside of wine country). My first experience with The Lodge was New Year's Eve 2004, when my then-boyfriend and I decided to spend a quiet NYE in Sonoma. We booked a package that included a 4-course dinner at Carneros the hotel restaurant(very good), massage treatements for 2 and cottage accomodations for a very reasonable $400+, if I remember correctly. And since they allowed pets, we brought our beloved yellow lab with us (however please note this is an INCREDIBLY CLEAN PROPERTY, and they charge a premium for pets). Upon arriving at the property, we knew right away we would like this hotel. The main lodge & lobby is airy, clean, yet charming at the same time. The pool and hot tub is a focal point in the middle of the multiple lodge-style buildings that make up the hotel, and the grounds are immaculate. At first glance, it feels like you're in a condo complex, but you'll find that this arrangement of cottages actually works to the guests' benefit (larger, quieter, more private rooms). The service, while not necessarily excellent (probably a chain-hotel trait), is very good. After a fantastic experience at the Raindance Spa and a great dinner at Carneros that New Year's Eve, my boyfriend proposed to me that night in our cottage. So as you can see, it was only fitting that we stayed at this hotel when we got married over a year later in Sonoma!

Again, I have stayed here a total 3 times, and will sum all of my experiences for you: The Lodge is a higher-end chain hotel property that has the luxuries of a high end hotel combined with the charm of a boutique hotel. It is NOT a B&B, and nor is it trying to be (so, if you're looking for high-end rustic B&B style , go across the street to MacArthur Place ). We have always stayed in a cottage room, but prefer upstairs for the vaulted ceilings and added privacy. We have never been booked in a cottage overlooking the electricity towers or parking lots, and we have always had quiet, spacious, new and very comfortable accomodations (we do make sure to request this, though). But even their main lodge rooms are very well-appointed. Our entire families stayed here for our wedding and they loved it. It is very family friendly (especially during summer because of the pool), but couple friendly as well, if you make sure to note a private room in advance with the hotel staff. In fact, whenever we asked for anything, the staff was very accommodating. Lastly, the spa. My experience here has been nothing but excellent as well. The massages are reasonably priced and the spa is quiet, clean, relaxing and very well appointed. My husband and I have had both couples massages and individual massages and the service has been great. Most of all, it's never crowded or loud--very relaxing. It's great to be able to stroll back to your room after a great massage too! We have stayed in many 5+ star resorts (Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton) and boutique hotels and I am a self-proclaimed spa fanatic and I will always go back to The Lodge, even if only for the memories. :)

• Stayed: July 2005
9  Thank SFGRL3731
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed November 8, 2005

There is probably a dearth of hotels in the Sonoma area if this one can actually get away with a 4 star rating. It's basically an upgraded Motel 6 as others have noted. Bathrooms are trying to be high class, but suffer from cheap fixtures. My king size bed had two very noticeable dips/divots in it; clearly it was one old mattress. At least half of the rooms overlook a parking lot or the main street. If you have the parking lot view, as I did, then you will also have the electricity generator view. There are no blackout blinds on the windows which means the harsh fluorescent lights of the parking lot will seep in to your room at night. If one was paying, say $140/night for this place, it would be a fair bargain. But at nearly $300/night I would suggest other accomodations. A rip off.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 16, 2005

We have just returned from the most fantastic but too short a trip to San Francisco and Sonoma/Napa.

We stayed at the Lodge and we requested a quiet cottage with fireplace and Jacuzzi tub. We also requested a crib for our toddler and foam pillows. When we entered the room it was just as we ordered.
In the crib was a little care package for our child of a rubber Ducky and bath lotions.

We were there for our anniversary and my Birthday and received a card that was personally signed by the front desk staff along with a rather nice bottle of wine.

The pool is lovely (but a little cold for our tastes!!) The restaurant is truly splendid!

My only complaints here are that they charge $10/day for internet connection and that there was no safe in the room. The fridge was also rather small.

When we arrived we went next door to the cellar room for some wine tasting, with our child and she was greeted with such kindness and joy by the young lady working there. She got coloring and paper supplies and she put on some fun music for her as she likes to dance! A true joy.
Needless to say we lingered and bought a rather large amount of wine from her! Mainly from the Mayo Winery.

Well, you get given a card to take into dinner with you and you bring along your bottle of wine into the restaurant and do not have to pay any corkage.

The food there is to die for, the setting lovely and the waiting staff excellent. The waitress ordered us some macaroni cheese for my child, which my toddler enjoyed as much as Mum makes at home.

The resort is in a great location to enjoy the area and the town of Sonoma itself is a true find. Simply beautiful.

We will return as soon as we can.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank potcake
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
#6 of 11 in Sonoma
Olea Hotel
Olea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Glen Ellen

Been to The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!