“Good not great”

GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Good not great”
Reviewed February 14, 2005

I stayed at the Lodge at Sonoma last week during a conference. The property is nice but there were a few annoyances. Although I requested a king room for my companion and I, a family cottage with two double (not queen) beds and a small sofa bed was assigned. All that furniture was really too much for the room and you had to squeeze tightly around a bed to get to the bathroom. When I arrived the bellman insisted on taking my bags, even though I was assigned a room where I could park right outside the door. When I asked him to return the bags to the car he wouldn't (trying to get a tip). He took the bags to the door of the room. I didn't tip him. I had to return to the front desk twice after checking in because two sets of electronic keys didn't work. That meant returning the luggage to the car each time because I couldn't get into the room. The third set finally worked. I didn't find the desk staff to be very knowledgable about anything. Ice Machines are few and far between on the 9 acre property so it was a VERY long walk to get ice. The location is about a mile and a half away from the center of town so you can't walk. The hotel does have a shuttle. The good news is that the rooms are clean and fairly quiet. I didn't try the spa or the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 14, 2005

This is an excellent resort and it takes pets. We were there this Valentine weekend, $118/night through priceline. When we arrived we were upgraded to a beautiful cottage. The staff was so attentive, the place was sold out for the weekend, but there was a mix up with our reservation we wanted a king size bed for a romantic weekend and somehow through priceline we were booked for double beds. There was a rate difference but it was still better than booking directly or through expedia.

The room was well done, very comfortable with turn down and room service; the staff went out of their way to make up for the confusion when we arrived. The restaurant (Carneros) was excellent, and the restaurant manager was friendly and accommodating, we drank with him later at the bar. The bartender was friendly and very helpful, even arranged to have champagne delivered to our rooms after we inquired about the possibility. Furthermore, the Concierge was so helpful and ensured we got last minute reservations as some of the best restaurants in the area. And the spa was to die for.

The staff at this hotel made us feel like royalty. We highly recommend the Lodge to all.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed January 22, 2005

Our first time to wine country. My husband and I booked one of the cottages at the Lodge. It was nice and romantic with a fireplace and the bed was very comfortable. Room was clean and had a nice sitting area outside the cottage. We arrived early at the Lodge but the front desk was very nice about getting us in early. If you're looking for a great winery head out to Clines. Everyone was extremely nice unlike some of the other local places. The wine is great too!

5 Thank tkay_pbay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Ledson Hotel
Ledson Hotel
#5 of 11 in Sonoma
Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!