“Marriot Rewards are meaningless...”

The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersBronze level
Paso Robles Wine Region, California
“Marriot Rewards are meaningless...”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I used my Marriott points recently to book two nights at The Lodge - Rennaisance Resort in Sonoma, CA, and made reservations two months in advance. There are suppose to be benefits, including upgrades if available, from being a Rewards Club member but I found none at this establishment. All of their Inn rooms, with the exception of the cottage type rooms behind the main building, are standard but very attractive rooms, in which case the benefit of having a nicer room is strictly "location." I was given a room facing the front of the Inn looking at the home improvement center across Broadway Street, which is the main thoroughfare leading into downtown Sonoma. Additionally, this room was adjacent to the second floor conference center and directly across from the public bathrooms.

My reservation was mid-week and I was an early afternoon arrival, at a time when many rooms were available. I immediately asked to be placed into a different room, preferably one overlooking the pool and center courtyard. Although many were currently vacant, the guest relations manager refused to move me, stating a big group was coming in and they had pre-assigned many of the rooms. I then asked to be placed in a more quiet spot and guest relations again refused my request. A short time later there must have been a shift change because another guest relations manager called to ask about the accommodations. I, once again made another request for either a Rewards Member upgrade or another room in a different location. This guest relations person simply ignored my request at which time I asked to speak with the Hotel manager. She said he would call me but I never heard from anyone again. I feel that some accommodation could have been made as rooms were available.

The entire experience made me feel that I was actually being discriminated against because I was a Rewards Club member and not a cash paying guest. I opted not to stay an additional night at the location and made a reservation at a 5-Star resort in Napa. Upon check-in to that location, a number of rooms were apparently available and they immediately upgraded me to their "Superior" room without my having to say a word. Wow! What a difference in customer relations...and I was not even a member of any rewards plan with this new resort.

Marriott is just too big a corporation that apparently feels they do not need to show any loyalty to their Rewards Club members...too bad!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelinInaDavlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Northern California
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Lovely one night stay in this resort with friends. There was always plenty of staff to assist us with everything from opening doors to getting poolside drinks. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and sophistication of this resort. They offer shuttle service to downtown Sonoma (1 mile away).

The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were large with a nice balcony overlooking the pool. Even on a very hot Saturday night, the noise from the pool area was not distracting from the serenity of the resort.

Cindy, at concierge, was very helpful in explaining area to us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main lodge, overlooking the pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
67SonomaFan, Director of Operations at The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you! We are fortunate to have an amazing staff who truly understands what guest service is all about. Please come back soon!

Justin
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

When we first arrived for 3 days of respite, I was impressed with the contemporary lobby with meandering gardens that led to cottage-style rooms. The resort is not fancy-- just perfectly Sonoma in that casual but elegant way. Spa was excellent as was breakfast at Carneros included as part of our stay(love the complementary mini smoothies and mini muffins to begin the meal ). Would have loved if it had been off the beaten path, but once you head off the main road, park and go through the lobby - you are in another world. Easy bike ride into town and up to Ravenswood Winery. The hotel provides tiny pocket maps for bikers. Recommend Sunflower Cafe for a "you know you are in CA" lunch with a fresh salad and green healthy drink and eat in the back of this adobe where early Californians sought refreshment in the afternoon.

• Stayed June 2013
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Easy to say nice things about this Hotel. The service was among the best I have ever received. The staff really offer first class service from the front desk to the café. The coffee in the café was very good. I was there for my sons wedding and it was a very memorable time. I don't think the hotel grounds would get a five star. The atmosphere was good, but not over the top for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Rooms in front on the second floor have a lovey view of the flat roof and the parking lot. Get a dif...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed for five days and really enjoyed our time there. We had one of the cottage rooms which was amazing: open fire, beautiful bath and huge bed. Just a lovely stroll through the lovely garden to the main hotel and pool. It was probably early in the season and when I arrived the pool and surrounding area needed a clean but on Friday a big team arrived and it was cleaned up in no time.
Wine tasting was available every day from 4.30 to 6.00 and our guide was very knowledgable. The bar is lovely and serves coffee and cheese and the restaurant was amazing. Breakfast was great!
The spa was incredible; I had the lavender luxury and a facial which I can heartily recommend.we rented bikes from the hotel and cycled the bike route through the vineyards, stoping to take testers on the way; it was fabulous!
On Friday mornings the hotel offers a complementary hike up into the surrounding hills. I joined our 'navigator' Elizabeth who was so very lovely. I learned a lot about the area, nature and we finished up at a local farmers market. It was a great start to the day!
Elizabeth was so very helpful during our stay, advising us on bike routes, vineyards, shopping and where to go for dinner, without her we would not have enjoyed our stay or the area as much.
So much to write about, Sonoma is lovely and we had a ball!

Room Tip: Go for a cottage room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We went around in circles trying to decide where to stay. First I thought the Inn at Sonoma (Four Sisters) because of the great reviews but honestly couldn't get past the teddy bears. Then we thought the El Dorado, but couldn't get past the so-so reviews. We finally decided on The Lodge at Sonoma and are so glad we did. They have a shuttle that runs back and forth to town (its a flat 1.1 mile walk) from 8 am until 11 pm (well past the time the town closes down). The pool area is a respite - just beautiful. The fact that they have an excellent on-site restaurant with great service and a separate wine bar with an adjacent store to purchase bottles of wine just ices the cake. The spa was everything a spa needs to be and more. The beds were comfy, the bathrooms large, the balconies and french doors a nice touch. The staff was wonderful. The afternoon wine tastings were very helpful and had some good and some great wines. We will never stay anywhere else in Sonoma.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank panter
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We came in to try the Pliny as we have heard a lot about the beer. Unfortunately, a wedding party had come in the day before and drained the keg. Ryan had a creative solution as offered a different beer with a shot of hop head, which is the closest you can get to a Pliny.
Thanks Ryan! Your creativity was appreciated.
I'd still like to try the Pliny though!

• Stayed May 2013