“Pleasently surprised with Sonoma Valley Cyclery”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sonoma Valley Cyclery
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour the wine country on a mountain bike rented from this Sonoma shop.
Reviewed October 7, 2009

My wife and I were in Sonoma for a couple of nights and planned to hire bikes to cycle over to Moore's Landing restaurant at Cuttings Wharf on the Napa River. I almost rejected the Sonoma Valley Cyclery on the basis of two earlier Trip Advisor member reviews - however the cost and hours of business were better than others so I booked the bikes with them.

The guys in the store were very easy going and friendly. In the light of one of the reviews I insisted on checking and noting any damage to the bikes (only superficial/cosmetic marking). The guy seemed supprised that I bothered and said they were only concerned with real damage.

The bikes were in reasonable condition but only really suitable for casual about town biking. They were quite uncomfortable by the end of our 30 mile round trip. The guy serving us did warn us that a ride of this distance would be pushing it on those bikes!

However we were pleasantly surprised with the casual but friendly and helpful service we received and on that basis would be happy to recommend Sonoma Valley Cyclery to others - but if you plan serious cycling then discuss your needs with them first.

1  Thank Mud_Mike
There are newer reviews for Sonoma Valley Cyclery

Reviewed October 14, 2008

After reading the above posts I figured I would see where reality sits as there are always 2 sides to the story... as is the case.
The guys at the counter were very helpful & friendly.

I dropped off a rear wheel for some repair @ had it back with in 1 hour, no drama, no hassles.
I would gladly refer others to this store.

Reviewed August 10, 2008

I was very disappointed in this Bike shop. I stopped by as I was passing through on vacation, and bought a light from them. When I opened it later I discovered it was not the model I thought it was, but instead a year old model. Considering it was “last years” model I had paid twice the price what it was worth. I immediately called the bike shop and when I said I wanted a refund and would return the light, they said “no problem as long as I had the receipt”. However when I went in for the refund, the owners son said that since he had given me a 10% discount he would only give me a in store credit. Since I don’t live in Sonoma the store credit was not good for me. He was rude, arrogant, even accused me of knowing it was an old light when I bought it,etc…. Needless to say, I will not go back to the store, and I would warn anyone who shops there to be very careful before purchasing anything, or renting bikes from them.

17  Thank Vacationer08_8
Reviewed November 27, 2007

My finace' and I visited Sonoma for Thanksgiving. We stayed in a wonderful b&b, had wonderful meals and loved everything except our experience at Sonoma Valley Cyclery.

First off, when we showed up to pick up our bikes that we had reserved weeks in advance, we were told that they didn't have my size. When we questioned it, the owner told us to "take it up with him" and pointed to one of his employees. I settled for a bike that was not my size. We paid for 2 full days although we picked them up at the end of business on Wednesday and dropped them off as soon as they reopened (after Thanksgiving) on Friday. They were not willing to budge on the price, however we knew this in advance.

When we dropped our bikes off on Friday morning we were accused of "scratching" one of the bikes. We apologized and said that we really did not think that we caused the scratch. We stood there while the owner proceeded to literally cuss us out. He said [--] renters don't know how to take care of anything." among other things. We told him that we would just like to pay and continue our vacation that had been wonderful up until this point. We walked to the cash register and he never came to take our money. Finally, we walked to the back and asked if anyone was coming up front so that we could pay. The owner sent his son us and he said he was going to charge us $25 for the scratch after we were already over paying for the basic rental. Of course we were not happy by this and the son got his father, the owner. He continued to yell, we told him to just charge us. He charged us $225 for the one day (Thanksgiving) rental for two bikes.

We were so appalled by his attitude and that he was completely unprofessional, rude and a very bad business owner. We would highly recommend every other Sonoma experience, but this left us with a bad taste in our mouth and threatened to ruin such a wonderful vacation. We have never been treated so poorly in our lives. I really would not wish this treatment on anyone.

16  Thank ugaerin