“Great deal on a bike, nice guys, very helpful”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sonoma Valley Cyclery
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour the wine country on a mountain bike rented from this Sonoma shop.
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I'm surprised to read the negative reviews here. My experience was quite the opposite.

I stopped by while my daughter was in town for a soccer tournament. They had a Specialized Allez at a great price. I went back home and shopped around and couldn't find any shop that even came close. I called the Sonoma shop back and they held the bike for me so I would have time to drive back out.

They were helpful in buying the bike and getting a few accessories.

Fast forward to one year when I wanted to get my free tune up. It was past the normal time period but they had no problem honoring the free tune up even though it was outside the terms.

I actually went there in November '09 but the system here wouldn't let me use that date. Looks like this was after the negative reviews so maybe things have changed over there. But I had a great experience, was thrilled by the price, the bike and the guys there.

Reviewed June 23, 2010

This bike shop is on the main drag heading into town, one mile from Sonoma Plaza. There are two competitors right on the Plaza, more or less, I rented from here and from the competitor on the plaza too.

The guys at the shop know what they are doing. They rented a Specialized Roubaix Expert for three days and threw in cleats to make my shoes work with their pedal system. Good.

The bad was that even though I was renting from right before closing, and they wanted the bike back right after opening, they would charge me for whole, 24-hour days--store policy. In the end, it all worked out, the bikes were great, and the riding in Sonoma is fun--for a hardcore ride, head up and over Trinity toward Napa and then come back down Dry Creek to the south, complete the loop through the Carneros for a nice 50 miler.

1  Thank DistanceTraveler
Reviewed June 19, 2010

This was a wonderful way to do some wine tasting and see the wonderful scenery. Several routes were available depending on the bike skill level. The person that helped us at Sonoma Valley Cyclery could not have been more helpful and pleasant. All six of us in our group could have had a more pleasant day!! I would recommend this trip over the Napa trip for people in their 50's and 60'sl (like us) that are not seasoned bikers.

Reviewed October 7, 2009

My wife and I were in Sonoma for a couple of nights and planned to hire bikes to cycle over to Moore's Landing restaurant at Cuttings Wharf on the Napa River. I almost rejected the Sonoma Valley Cyclery on the basis of two earlier Trip Advisor member reviews - however the cost and hours of business were better than others so I booked the bikes with them.

The guys in the store were very easy going and friendly. In the light of one of the reviews I insisted on checking and noting any damage to the bikes (only superficial/cosmetic marking). The guy seemed supprised that I bothered and said they were only concerned with real damage.

The bikes were in reasonable condition but only really suitable for casual about town biking. They were quite uncomfortable by the end of our 30 mile round trip. The guy serving us did warn us that a ride of this distance would be pushing it on those bikes!

However we were pleasantly surprised with the casual but friendly and helpful service we received and on that basis would be happy to recommend Sonoma Valley Cyclery to others - but if you plan serious cycling then discuss your needs with them first.

1  Thank Mud_Mike
Reviewed October 14, 2008

After reading the above posts I figured I would see where reality sits as there are always 2 sides to the story... as is the case.
The guys at the counter were very helpful & friendly.

I dropped off a rear wheel for some repair @ had it back with in 1 hour, no drama, no hassles.
I would gladly refer others to this store.