“Friendly staff and great surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ravenswood Winery

Ravenswood Winery
Ranked #11 of 101 things to do in Sonoma
London, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Friendly staff and great surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We chose Ravenswood as we were familiar with their Vintners blend Zinfandel (the only one of their wines they export). It's a comfortable 15 minutes' walk from Sonoma Plaza and is one of the prettier wineries in the region. We booked a morning barrel tour, and I felt the email communication could have been a bit more professional, but I guess laid-back is the California style. We were early for the tour so got down to some tasting beforehand. The staff members were friendly and willing to answer questions. At no time did we feel pressured into buying anything. The tour was very interesting and informative (with some tastings thrown in from both bottle and barrel). Over the entire visit we must have tried at least 10 wines. The only slight disappointment was that they don't actually produce any wines on the site any more, but at least they were open about that. Overall, a great winery with good wines that didn't feel too corporate. I recommend their Muscat if you tire of the reds.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Kingky

santa monica
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Great barrel tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great barrel tour with Peter! My adult children finally experienced a wine tour where the guide is knowledgeable and passionate about the wine being produced. I was quite surprised that the winery is part of a large beverage conglomerate--Ravenswood's identity is intact as an independent. The entire feel of the experience was of Sonoma/Healdsburg wineries 20+ yrs ago. Next time, I plan to do the red wine blending class!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank uzengirl
Coinjock, North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best winery tour I've ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Ben, our guide, was by far the best winery guide I've ever experienced. Tasting wines out in the vineyard--kind of a walking tasting--was delightful. Great wines as well. Well worth the trip.

1 Thank Jeanne M
Ewing, New Jersey
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Lovely views and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 days in the Sonoma/Napa valleys during a 10 day coastal road trip. We stopped at Ravenswood as it was a familiar winery (we are able to purchase their wines on the East Coast). The vineyard is located just a short drive from downtown Sonoma. It's small but quaint. We enjoyed tasting a series of wines while chatting away with a pleasant staff member. He gave us tips on local restaurants and activities and even offered to take our photo (which turned into a mini photo shoot, hilarity ensued). Other than one other small group, we were the only people there. It was quiet and casual.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank jaaldrid1
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Beautiful View, Good Selection of Wine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

It's a pretty standard "tour", but the scenery and wine is worth the stop. I'd recommend end of day stop where you can do the tasting then graze the grounds with a glass of wine. Friendly folks and a nice little retail shop w goodies.

1 Thank ZTALiz