“Had a good experience here, family friendly”

Sebastiani Vineyards and Winery
Ranked #21 of 104 things to do in Sonoma
New York
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Had a good experience here, family friendly”
Reviewed August 12, 2010

My family visited this winery as the first of 8 stops over 2 days. We were lured by the free tour sign, because many of the "family friendly" wineries had expensive tour fees. The tour was nothing splashy, just an informitave tour of the grounds explaining how the wine is made given by a friendly guide touching on Prohibition as well which perked up the ears of my 11 year old, who had studied this in school. My children were warmly included in the group, and that's what my husband and I needed. After this tour, we didn't feel the need to do any other tours that had fees, we learned the basics. We enjoyed our tasting and I was able to purchase some grape juice seltzers for my sons which were delicious. This winery ended up being my 4th favorite out of the 8 we toured.

Santa Rosa, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Corporate Winery, Street Fair Feel”
Reviewed June 6, 2010

Very commercial feel, wines were not memorable, servers were retail. The Sebastiani family sold out to the corporate world and it really shows. Do not visit if you are in a group. They do not waive the $10 per person tasting fee if you buy a bottle. When asked they said “We don’t do that here.”
Grounds: a lot of flowers, but the first thing we were greeted with was a food vendor selling hotdogs as well as other vendors selling low quality ceramics. It seriously was like a street fair. Walk in and then it seemed a bit more tasteful. They have a small area to the side where our group listened to the different wine growing regions and then tasted a wine from that region. Nice, however, their wine pourers have an automatic stop, no way to decipher if you liked it or not. For the price, this was really tacky. It would have been nice if they had given us a tour or suggested that we take one, but no, they just collected cash at the end of the half hour. Again, too retail and cold for me. The best part is the huge wine barrel in the back; good photo spot. Give the smaller, family-owned wineries your hard-earned money, and have a better time too!

san diego
“Wedding Venue??? Terrible Experience”
Reviewed November 3, 2009

My fiance and I traveled from San Diego to Sonoma to meet with an Event Planner to take a tour of the premises for a wedding celebration. Once we arrived to Sebastiani, we were greeted (or shall I say ungreeted) by an unfriendly staff member who told us that the Event Planner was not there today. I did not even recieve a phone call from this lady informing me that she would not be there. He handed us a wedding packet and said that she told us to call her if she has any questions. He also said that he was going to give us a tour instead. I was not pleased because not only did we drive 8 hours away from home to meet with this lady, but now the staff had attitude because he was more interested in going to lunch (which he did imply that by the way . . . I was shocked). I was not impressed with the site because I felt due to this unprofessionalism of the event planner, I could not look at this site in a brighter light. Brides-to-be beware!!!!! If this is how the event planner handled this situation at the initial meeting, how the heck would should act on the most important day of our lives!!! Look somewhere else!!!!! This was a waste of my fiance and I's time. I was extremely disappointed.

Portsmouth, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Disappoint return after the Family sells to Big Wine”
Reviewed September 27, 2009

We were married at Sebastiani while it was still owned by the Sebastiani Family. We loved it then, the folks were kind and the wine tastings, like many family owned wineries, were complimentary. We were in Sonoma again and visited mostly for Nostalgia and learned that the sale to Foley Family Wines was complete (it had just begun when we had our wedding). The feel had completely changed upon our return and it was noticeable. We decided to taste again, and were told there was a $10 fee. We liked one of the wines from the wedding especially well and intended to buy a case. After the tasting, we ended up buying more than the one case we planned on, owing to a great sale on the Barbera. However, we were really irked at the end of the day when we looked on our receipt and saw that despite spending a healthy chunk of cash on bottles of wine they charged us the $10 fee still. Seemed in poor taste to us. Sad that such a great place has declined now that it is part of a large corporation.