In mid-January, the IIDA ( International Interior Design Association) held their Winter Retreat 2009 at MacArthur Place.
I was pleasantly surprised when I drove up to the property and found out that it covers 7 acres. There are numerous buildings on this historic site and each typically has 4 rooms, 2 upstairs and 2 down, total 64 rooms and suites. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and many interesting sculptures throughout.
Each room is individually designed and the decor is what I call country chic. The room was very comfy and charming, with king bed, nice linens and down comforter. Flat panel TV with DVD player ( they loan you movies at the front desk). The bathroom was spacious with shower ( wished it had a tub) and nice toileties ( and they had my favorite cotton pads, too), included is a bathrobe, which I wasn't expecting. There are books and magazines in the room and 2 large lounge chairs with reading light, large closet, dresser and desk. Turn down service was great cuz they leave chocolate and body butter from the spa. Mini bar and snacks in the room with coffee maker and martini glasses and shaker!
Saddles is the restaurant on the property, open for breakfast and dinner, we did not eat at the restaurant, but we had a Welcome Reception the first night in the Veranda room and the hors d'oeuvres served were decent.
The next day, our meeting in the Rodeo Room, started with buffet breakfast. I am assuming it is similar to the complimentary breakfast buffet for the hotel guests. Yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal, croissants, coffee, tea, etc. Everyone loved the Numi tea! Our lunch was a typical bag lunch with sandwich, chips, apple, cookie. Nothing special, but the afternoon strawberry/banana smoothie was delicious!
On the property is a swimming pool, great for when the weather is warm and a jacuzzi. Some were brave enough to use, but for me it was too cold in the middle of January.
The Garden Spa is adjacent to the pool and has 7 treatment rooms, lounge, locker rooms, co-ed steam room and gift shop. Facilities are complimentary for hotel guests or with any spa treatment. Spa Day packages include "Spoil Yourself" facial, massage, lunch and spa gift, 100 min, for $245.
Other amenities include, fitness center, complimentary evening wine and cheese reception in the library ( excellent selection of games, books, DVD's), internet access and printer, giant outdoor chess set and bike rental.
I have a map of the property, that I can send you if you send me your email address ( also have Spa Menu). Some of the rooms are farther from parking than others. My room was close to the pool, which I think could be noisy in the warm weather. Because we were a large group we got a great rate on the rooms, I believe it was $189 per night for Thursday and Friday night. The president of our group got upgraded to a large suite, which was lovely with fireplace and soaking tub.
We ate dinner at Mary's Pizza at the Plaza the first night and it is a fun, casual, inexpensive place with great thin crust pizza, the specialty is the Toto pizza (combo). The next night we had a very nice dinner at El Dorado Hotel restaurant also on the Plaza. The food was excellent and it is a very upscale restaurant with modern decor.
The MacArthur Place conference center and gardens offer ideal space for meetings, retreats, weddings, private events and receptions. I think it is perfect for a romantic getaway or girl's weekend. I would definitely go back, although the high season rates seem very high. $399-699 per night. 2 night stay required on Saturdays.
Sonoma Plaza is wonderful to stroll around and my favorite shops include the Church Mouse ( thrift shop benefits St Francis school) and off the Plaza is not to be missed Tiddle E. Winks - step back in time to vintage 5 and dime!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury 64 room Sonoma inn and spa set on a historic 7-acre garden estate walking distance to Sonoma Plaza. Heated pool and whirlpool. Full service Spa. Saddles Steakhouse and Martini Bar. Continental breakfast buffet, evening wine and cheese reception, DVD movies, parking, and wireless internet. Bicycle Rentals. Close to more than 30 wineries. 15 Minutes to Napa. AAA 4-Diamond Award. Top 10 San Francisco and Northern CA Hotels - Conde Nast Annual "World's Best" Readers Poll. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macarthur Place - Sonoma`s Historic Hotel Sonoma
- Macarthur Place - Sonoma`s Historic Inn And Spa
- Macarthur Place Sonomas Historic Hotel
- Macarthur Place Inn & Spa