“Best Place in Sonoma”

MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We just got back from a week stay at Macarthur Place. This place is magical!! We got a great deal on a deluxe suite through the Macarthur Place website. It was spectacular! (Comfortable King bed, bar, fireplace, desk, rain-shower, walk-in closet). The place was so peaceful, and the gardens were still beautiful in the middle of winter. The pool and hot tub were warm and a great start or ending to every day. The place was very clean, staff exceptional, the wine and cheese tasting was a nice little appetizer before dinner.

The hotel is only a few blocks away from the Square at Sonoma (10 min walk). Trust me, this is the place to be, it is where all of the restaurants and shopping are. If you stay any further north (Fairmont) you are in the middle of the Sonoma ghetto. Macarthur Place is a fantastic location to visit wineries!

We had breakfast a couple of times at the hotel, it is what it is.. free!! Nice fruit, yogurt, cereal, muffin or bagel breakfast. Plenty of fine dining in Sonoma, a quick free breakfast is all you need.
As far as restaurants go LaSalette was amazing, as well as Girl and the Fig for lunch. Meritage was just ok, good happy hour, and sushi at Shiso was some of the best (sit at the bar and you might be lucky enough to have the owner make special dishes for you).

Ask the hosts at wineries for recommendations on other tours and wineries, we got several free reserve tastings.

Word to the wise... it's called "Slow-noma" for a reason. After the wineries close at 4:30 and most shopping closes at 5, all that is alive in the town are a couple of restaurants... open until maybe 10. Macarthur place is a great place to close out each night by the fireplace with a bottle of wine. It was truely a relaxing and restful vacation we were looking for after the holidays.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 8, 2008

The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The grounds amazing and the spa was an added bonus of relaxation.
Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 8, 2008

I would highly recommend MacArthur Place as the perfect destination for a weekend retreat. I went with my girlfirends for a quick getaway from Marin. We were warmly welcomed by the staff and enjoyed not only the lovely suite we stayed in, but also a wonderful spa experience. We felt as if we were truly far away in a beautiful resort. We also enjoyed the close proximity to the attractions of downtown sonoma. I would definitely go again - with girlfriends or for a romantic getaway with my husband.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank daytripperyeah17
Reviewed December 7, 2008

MacArthur Place is, in many ways, better than the existing photos suggest and it would take many more photos to give one a sense of the place than are currently posted. The grounds are well kept and quite beautiful and interesting. The rooms are in small buildings of 4 rooms (2 lower / 2 upper) and there are say 10-15 of these small buildings -- maybe more. The entire setting inside each room is home-like and pleasant. There's a sense of spaciousness and connection with surrounding environment and yet each room has a good degree of privacy. Negatives? There really aren't any. I have also stayed at the Harvest Inn in St. Helena and between the two, it's a close call. I prefer the updated and pleasant day bed environment of MacArthur Place, classic architecture, and overall style. The place is a little more laid back which probably reflects the Sonoma vs. Napa style issue. Harvest Inn is pleasant but I find the in-room environment a little more hodge podge design wise versus what one finds at MacArthur Place unless you get a room that has patio and looks at the vineyard. The upside of Harvest Inn is its close proximity to the heart of Napa Valley. But for pure R&R, you might be better served at MacArthur Place and the presence of the spa (even if you're not going to use it) is a plus.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2008

Great place for girls to have fun. fabulous spa . best burger i have ever eaten

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2008

My wife and I had a great 2 night stay in the wine country. MacArthur Place was the perfect spot to set up our "base camp" and explore the local wineries. The food was excellent...the evening wine & cheese was a perfect finish to each day...and, oooh! the spa treatments were out of this world. The Inn staff were so very hospitable, always. I'd give this place a 5 star without hesitation.

Wayne & Jayne Johnson

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank RdFWillowCreekMT
Reviewed October 27, 2008

The Minuses:

We arrived to the Inn on Friday afternoon, just after our Mom had arrived and checked in. When my sister and I checked in, we were not provided with any information about the hotel, just handed a key to the room. I guess because my Mom arrived first, they figured she would explain the amenities to us. We found front desk staff in general to be pretty stuffy and rude. We went to speak to them after seeing our room to ask about alternate accommodations as we were curious if we could get a room with a balcony and they acted like we were putting them out. I understand it is a busy time of year and odds were that they did not have a room, but they were not at all helpful or friendly about locating something. I found out that my mom gave the front desk her credit card when she arrived, but we did not want her to pay for the room. I had also already been charged for the room back when I booked it in August. I explained at the front desk that I wanted to pay for the room and they assured me they would make sure only I was charged. I discussed this with them upon check in and also on departure. I just realized that they credited my credit card and charged my Mom, so now I need to call them to get this fixed. It is frustrating to have this happen after I specifically asked them about it. In asking about the charges while at the Inn, they acted frustrated that I was very specifically asking about it, yet they still did not get it right. We paid $450/night for a room with a queen bed and a daybed. There were some nice amenities with the room (the wine reception and breakfast) but I still found it overpriced for the room quality.

Pluses:

As far as the resort itself, it is beautiful. It is very spread out and there are many unique seating areas that you can relax in. The landscaping is very pretty. There are beautiful flowers, plants and greenery, which makes you feel like you are in the country. We enjoyed the wine reception on Friday evening and found one of the employees there to be very helpful. She made some suggestions about dining, as well as which wineries to try. We went to Jacuzzi, Viansa and Gloria Ferrer, all of which we greatly enjoyed. This employee told us about pizza at Viansa, so we planned our lunch there and were quite pleased. The food was delicious and the grounds were beautiful. They also have lots of samples out to try. She also offered that there should be a complimentary pass in the room which we did not see. We went to the front desk to ask about it and the gentleman who helped us ended up giving us a few passes for the wineries we wanted to see. The recommended wineries were all great. Now that I think about it, we spoke to another gentleman on Sat night at the front desk and he was very helpful and friendly too. Maybe it is just the daytime staff that is not friendly. The breakfast buffet that they have in the morning is quite nice too. They had boiled eggs, bagels and lox one morning, cereal, yogurt and pastries…a nice selection. We sat outside one evening with a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers and it was very pleasant. We also sat by the pool in the afternoon and it was very pretty and comfortable.

Overall, I enjoyed our stay at MacArthur Place Inn and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
El Pueblo Inn
Olea Hotel
Olea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Glen Ellen
Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn

Been to MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!