“Best in Sonoma...Flawless”

MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We've stayed at approximately 10 hotels in Sonoma and Napa...MacArthur Place is by far the best hotel we have stayed at...by far. We spent three nights there in a beautiful room...#47. Everything was perfect...beautiful...spacious...extremely well appointed. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The pool uncrowded with plenty of lounge chairs, water, and lunch can also be ordered. Rooms are perfectly maintained...turn down at night...rooms cleaned early in the morning after we left. The continental breakfast in the morning was very good...high quality pastries...fresh squeezed oj...lovely setting. The wine hour was also nice...good wine and snacks. Every single person from the front desk to the concierge to the housekeeping staff went out of their way to ensure we had the perfect stay. I cannot wait for my next trip to Sonoma.

Room Tip: We loved room 47 but I am sure there are many lovely rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Western View
There are newer reviews for MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Second trip to MP. This time was even better than the first. Once inside the property, it is tranquil and luxurious. Spa was nice - food was good - pool was a great escape from the heat. Clean and comfortable. Place makes you feel like a wanted guest. Service and staff were top notch. Easy walk to Sonoma Square for dinner and drinks without the worry and risk of driving. I highly recommend MP.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Blake L
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Wow....great place to stay and relax. Bungalow-like easy going vibe but with all the posh-ness you need. Great restaurant, great breakfast, wine & cheese in the library, a real fireplace in the room, beautiful spa and great massage! All around wonderful....AND, I forgot my shoes in my room. I didn't realize until I got home (3 hours away). I called and was immediately told that they had them and would mail them back to me (no charge). This is quite a departure from what I'm used to regarding lost items. Usually, when I've stayed at hotels and have left my child's pillow or a shirt, or our phone charger - when I call, no one has seen it. It was just another example of the wonderful customer service at MacArthur Place.

Room Tip: I'd try to stay in an uper room for a great view from your balcony....but a lower room is still...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank 530JoJoCro
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

In my humble opinion this place has the best massage therapists in Sonoma & Napa. I have been to most spas in the valley and believe this spa is really a cut above with attention to health and wellness.

Went away with group of girlfriends for a spa weekend and we all booked treatments. I was really surprised that I was the only one that requested a male masseuse. "Your loss ladies and my gain!" Massage was so good I booked Travis for the next day!! He gives a really firm massage and works out all the kinks while at the same time giving a calm relaxing massage.

I will definitely be back to The Spa!Nice steam room and they provide tea and cookies in the waiting area...and these are like Mom's home baked cookies.

Also nice we could use the pool afterward and order lunch and cocktails at the pool.

Great place all around with excellent service and well decorated rooms.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank FridayGirl707
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Excellent hotel on a beautiful property. Landscaping, gardens and paths felt like a botanical garden. We had a wonderful stay, the staff is very attentive and everything is clean and well maintained. Pool and spa showed and steam room were a nice way to relax after a day of wine tasting. Free Continental breakfasts and wine tastings in the Library are a nice touch. Only downside to our stay was road noise in the middle of the night -room 62 in Acacia is very close to the hwy and trucks backing up in the middle of the night woke us up.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Fantastic stay at MacArthur Place. Great room, great staff, wonderful experience! From the wine and cheese every day at 5pm to the continental breakfast in the morning. Couldn't ask for a more perfectly located (walking distance to the square and tasting rooms) hotel! AND they gave us a bottle of sparkling wine for our anniversary. Terrific!!!

Room Tip: Oak suite was awesome!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan V
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I visted Sonoma after a business trip to San Francisco in the third week of June and was reminded of the lovely time I had ten years prior....only difference now is that the town square offers more satellite or stand alone wine tasting rooms than ever before. When looking for a place to stay, I actually checked Trip Advisor first (my prior visits included B&Bs and the Sonoma Mission Inn and & Spa) and noticed that MacArthur Place had great reviews.

More than any other hotel/inn in recent memory (and I travel a lot), MacArthur Place had by far the most helpful and attentive phone reservation agents. They offered advice on driving directions (NASCAR was in town), restaurants, the spa, wineries, shops, etc. And when it came to hotel rooms and what made sense for a varying number of female friends staying together, they were honest and sensitive to financial as well as personal needs.

The room we ended up with is lovingly referred to as a "Ya Ya Deluxe" - nicely accomodating 3 people with a spacious bathroom and right next to the spa. We arrived to find champagne, yummy chocolates and tasteful decor. I'd say it was slightly better than I expected.

Two of us had spa appointments that Friday evening and although the spa is small, the treatment rooms are well appointed (very nice tubs) and the services (lavender dream for me) were great (also fairly priced).

We did eat one dinner on-site and although Saddles has cool decor, the food was not as good as I had hoped (by wine country standards).

Overall, great place and I'd stay there any time. Cheers to the staff.

Room Tip: Phone agents will help you through this - look at pictures.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
El Pueblo Inn
Olea Hotel
Olea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Glen Ellen
Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn

Been to MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!