“A wonderful hotel”

MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The hotel doesn't look like it's going to be anything special when you first arrive but once you get in, you realise it's a wonderful haven. The grounds are extensive and accommodation is in small buildings dotted around the property in between lots of lush greenery. There are lots of different areas to sit so you can always find a quiet spot somewhere whether it's by the lovely pool, on a swing or at a table tucked away in a corner.

We actually arrived from Europe very early in the morning and they let us into our room immediately which was not only much appreciated but also a sign of what excellent customer service they have. All staff – without exception – were incredibly friendly and helpful.

Our room was very nice with a nice large sitting area, a spacious bathroom and a really comfortable bed. There's free wifi and also a library of DVDs for you to watch in the evenings but equally, if you don't want to stay in, you can easily walk into town as it's only about ½ mile or so.

Saddles, their restaurant, served really good food and their continental breakfast was nice as well although it could perhaps have had a few more options if I was being picky – and their complimentary cheese and wine event every evening was great too.

A really wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gunner7

Reviewed September 8, 2013

What a wonderful, tucked-away haven in Sonoma. The grounds and rooms are beautiful. There is whimsical art spread throughout the property -- oversized chess pieces, huge jacks and a ball, and birdhouse fountains. There is a lovely wine and hors d'oeuvres opportunity every evening. You can enjoy this on the outside deck for most of the year.
Saddles, the on-site restaurant, is delightful, with a full bar. The staff is professional and accommodating. They will provide nearly anything you need or want!
Choose a room upstairs - you will not be disappointed. I look forward to my next visit to Sonoma. I certainly plan to stay here!!

Room Tip: Choose upstairs room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and i spent our 30 year anniversary there in June and our journey could not have been better. The property is well manicured and the staff is there when you want and not when you dont. Very peacfull and relaxing. We had one of the suites and felt very at home with the accomodations. The steak house on site is great! The property is close to anything you may need and San Francisco is just around the bend. There is an extrodinary italian resturant just off the square. Ask the concierge for the name. Go and let your hair down!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ty P
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed two nights. We were celebrating my husbands birthday. We have not been on the Sonoma side in Many years. The room was very nice, we had a little sitting porch that faced the garden. There was a nice bottle of wine in our room with birthday wishes. Loved the bathroom with the Jacuzzi tub. We had the ground floor, we could slightly hear the people above us. It wasn't that bad, but noticeable. For the price of the rooms there, I really did not expect to hear any noise from above or on the side. The staff was very helpful with restaurant selection and winery visits. I did have a spa treatment which was very relaxing. The managers reception was very nice to arrive to. Only problem thing was only two choices of wine...white or red from one winery. Fruit and cheese platter was replenished timely. The breakfast was a nice touch, but not much of choices. They put the breakfast menu to encourage to order. We choose to just have the cereal and fruit....the O.J. was yummy. Would have loved to have a mimosa with it. :-)
All in all, we did have a nice time and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SFBayAreaFamily
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just came back from 3 nights in Sonoma and have to say that Macarthur place is now my favorite hotel in the world a dI cannot wait to go back! I was skeptical when I booked n line, but that skepticism was completely unfounded. Prior to our arrival we contacted the concierge several times for recommendations on bike tours as well as drivers for a private wine tour. Their recommendations were excellent and they were very eager to help us select the right tours, restaurants and activities.
As for the rooms - we had a spa suite and our son was in a queen suite. His room was quite lovely and very well appointed, however, if you can, the spa suite is to die for! the room itself was fabulous, large, comfortable, well appointed and with a lovely bathroom. What made this exceptional, was a walking out your back door to find a beautiful...and very inviting teak tub on your patio as well as an outdoor shower and waterfall. Although I really did not have the time to luxuriate in the tub as long as I would have liked, I had to find time daily to fill it, toss in the provided soaking tea bag and just enjoy the entire experience. Absolutely lovely.
My son's room had a problem one day with hot water, which he reported to the front desk. When we came back in the afternoon, of course the water issue had been fixed, but he found a charming note with attached to a chocolate hammer, indicating that maintenance had been there. Just another lovely Macarthur touch.
On our departure day, we were going on a bike tour and would not be done until well after check out. The reception staff made sure to let us know that we were welcome to use the property all day and to please come back after our biking and use the spa facilities to shower up before we headed back to the airport. Their welcoming attitude post checkout was greatly appreciated.
Everything from the rooms, the grounds and most importantly, the staff made this a very enjoyable 3 day stay in Sonoma. I highly recommend this property and look forward to our return visit.

Room Tip: The Spa Suite was outstanding - the queen suite, only fabulous! :) Whatever your budget allows wil...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mbernst106
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We only spent one night :-(((
Wish our plans and budget would have allowed for more!
It is a lovely inn, with beautiful grounds, and an extremely friendly & helpful staff. My adult daughter and I took a last minute trip in order to attend a cooking class in Sonoma. When I was reserving the room, the person on the phone offered us a room that didn't show on the internet. We preferred two beds, and the internet was only showing rooms with one king. Our room was fabulous! I loved having a fireplace!
The continental breakfast was tasty and relaxing. Servers kept the buffet neat & replenished. Our coffees were refilled (almost magically) right when we wanted more. We enjoyed the late afternoon cheese and wine tastings offered in "the Library".
I definitely want to go back for more than just one night.

Room Tip: We were very happy in our room at the Carriage House. I'm sure that rooms vary substantially on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My adult daughter and I recently spent 3 nights here and cannot stop talking about how extraordinarily nice the staff is. Everyone is more than pleasant while seeming completely genuine. Our room was fine, but nothing special. However, the amenities were lovely. The spa was amazing and not overpriced for the service provided. The hotel staff goes out of their way to make sure that you have everything you need at all times. When their was a problem with the website for pre-paying the toll for the Golden Gate Bridge, the staff made several calls to assist me. Housekeeping was so thorough that they mistakenly cleared away a souvenir wine glass. When we discovered this at check-out time, management did a thorough search and located it. I would also say that staying in Sonoma is probably preferable to Napa. It is less than a 30 minute drive if you want to visit there.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LC_NYC_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
Inn at Sonoma, A Four Sisters Inn
Andaz Napa
Andaz Napa
#4 of 30 in Napa
Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn

Been to MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!