MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Sonoma Hotel(Sonoma)
  • Breakfast included
  • Spa
  • Pool
All reviewssaddles restaurantoutdoor showerwine and cheesegrounds are beautifulwine countrycomplimentary continental breakfastsonoma squareeach eveningturn down servicesitting areahuge bathrooma nice touchnice poolsteam roombagelsromantic getawayspent nights
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We only spent one night :-(((
Wish our plans and budget would have allowed for more!
It is a lovely inn, with beautiful grounds, and an extremely friendly & helpful staff. My adult daughter and I took a last minute trip in order to attend a cooking class in Sonoma. When I was reserving the room, the person on the phone offered us a room that didn't show on the internet. We preferred two beds, and the internet was only showing rooms with one king. Our room was fabulous! I loved having a fireplace!
The continental breakfast was tasty and relaxing. Servers kept the buffet neat & replenished. Our coffees were refilled (almost magically) right when we wanted more. We enjoyed the late afternoon cheese and wine tastings offered in "the Library".
I definitely want to go back for more than just one night.

Room Tip: We were very happy in our room at the Carriage House. I'm sure that rooms vary substantially on the property. Some buildings appear that they are more newly constructed than others, yet I would imagine all rooms are updated.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My adult daughter and I recently spent 3 nights here and cannot stop talking about how extraordinarily nice the staff is. Everyone is more than pleasant while seeming completely genuine. Our room was fine, but nothing special. However, the amenities were lovely. The spa was amazing and not overpriced for the service provided. The hotel staff goes out of their way to make sure that you have everything you need at all times. When their was a problem with the website for pre-paying the toll for the Golden Gate Bridge, the staff made several calls to assist me. Housekeeping was so thorough that they mistakenly cleared away a souvenir wine glass. When we discovered this at check-out time, management did a thorough search and located it. I would also say that staying in Sonoma is probably preferable to Napa. It is less than a 30 minute drive if you want to visit there.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LC_NYC_12
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Went here for our 25th wedding anniversary and loved every minute of it and wish we could have stayed longer. The cottage is wonderful. The spa suites are FANTASTIC! Why would anyone go to Napa when they could go here. Property is well maintained. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Great continental breakfast included (the chocolate bread pudding was amazing). Close to the town square.

Room Tip: Cottage #12 is wonderful. The Spa Suites have outdoor shower and tub- what fun!
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I visited the inn for three nights. We had a great stay. The rooms were very clean and beautifully decorated. The service was excellent. We feel that if you are paying a decent price you should get service to match and MacArthur did not disappoint. From wine shipping to concierge service to a simple turn down, we felt completely attended to. The grounds are very pretty and cozy. We ate in Saddles the first night. Though it was a typical steakhouse menu, it had a decent wine list and we enjoyed our meal. The complimentary continental breakfast buffet was excellent. It was far beyond just muffins, coffee and fruit. As far as location goes, the inn is within walking distance to downtown Sonoma; convenient to many restaurants. The high tripadvisor ratings are legit. We will come back.

1  Thank Todd M
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Quaint, unique, quiet, an oasis of calm--you can almost forget that there are wine tourists everywhere. Although we were there to tour wineries, I didn't want to leave the property. The gardens, the pool, the spa, the evening wine tastings, the restaurant. First class all around.