“Great rooms with a log fire”

MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Super romantic hotel! Great rooms and nice pool. Good overall service.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Skigasp

Reviewed August 20, 2011

We booked this hotel primarily based on location -- it's close enough to Sonoma Square to walk to restaurants but far enough away from the noise to be a relaxing retreat. The hotel itself is a little tired but charming and well laid out over several buildings connected via beautifully landscaped pathways. The spa is worth visiting but the pool is disappointing. Overall, I'd rate it four stars if it weren't for the prices which are on par with nicer establishments.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank benjaminwesson
Reviewed August 19, 2011

This Inn is outstanding! I can honestly say it was the WARMEST, most-helpful staff I have ever encountered!! Truly a magical place. The only regret was since it was our first time to Sonoma we didn't get to spend more time on the property and enjoy the wonderful amenities. We will definitely stay here again! AND I CAN'T WAIT to return!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2011

What a wonderful surprise we found in Sonoma, CA. We typically stay at larger hotels, but MacArthur Place was outstanding from the time we checked in, free wine and cheese in the evenings, free breakfast - which was wonderful, beautiful grounds to walk around, and loved Saddles restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2011

When I checked out of this Inn, I wanted to do it in person so that I could share personally my positive comments about this charming, well maintained and special property. I live in San Francisco and frequently visit Sonoma for weekend getaways and have stayed at other properties. MacAurthur Place blows away the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn- in fact, the comparison to other properties in the town of Sonoma are not comparable. The rooms are very nicely and appropriately appointed- comfortable, high end carpet, original artwork in the room, terrific bathroom amenities (grape seed). I really appreciated the lighting in the room, 2 sconces with long strings to turn off the lamp after reading my book. Everything is very well thought out. There was a wedding party in house and the hotel was full occupance, but I would have never known other than someone telling me. The salt water pool, hot tub, and pool attendent made the morning special. I also had the best blood mary I've ever had, I need to go on because the Continental breakfast was not the same ol same ol, again it was special like every other well thought out detail of this property. THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY IN SONOMA!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank elliott1260713
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Spent an amazing 3 nights at MacArthur Place in the Hawthorne building, first floor. At first impression, the room was very nice and spacious. As my family and I settled in, it was just the right amount of room for us. The two leather chairs in the room were also recliners which was a nice surprise. There was a new log waiting for us in our fireplace every night. The continental breakfast that was included was very nice and had yogurt, fruit, bagels, and toast. We ordered room service our last night from Saddles the steakhouse on site and it was delicious. Rooms very very clean and the lotions, shampoo and tea bath for the bathtub were all amazing and were replaced everyday. The bathroom is our room was very large and the tub was huge. Overall our stay was wonderful and we really enjoyed walking around the grounds. I would have to agree with some of the other reviews that mentioned some noise by 8am by either garbage trucks or traffic from the street because the hotel is right off the main highway. It really did not bother us because we were already awake by 8am but it was hard to sleep past that with the noise so just request that your room not face the main street. We can't wait to stay here again!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was our second stay at MacArthur Place and this time we stayed for 6 nights. The weather was terrible, so it prevented us from enjoying the pool and sitting outside. However, the room was luxurious and the staff were great. We really enjoyed the commradery at the evening wine tastings (both hostesses were great) and the check-in staff (Bobby) were great. The concierge was a bit stuffy; there were coupons that we discovered as we were checking out that were never offered to us (ask at the desk for discounts at wineries). The breakfast servers were top-notch .. great service and really friendly. We highly recommend this place. We love being able to walk to all the restaurants in Sonoma Square!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sonoma
El Pueblo Inn
Olea Hotel
Olea Hotel
#1 of 2 in Glen Ellen
Kenwood Inn and Spa, A Four Sisters Inn

Been to MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!