“average experience, good sparkling wine”

Gloria Ferrer Champagne Caves
Ranked #8 of 105 things to do in Sonoma
More attraction details
Owner description: Winery in Sonoma Valley featuring bottles of wine that have been dipped in chocolate.
Lutz, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“average experience, good sparkling wine”
Reviewed November 11, 2010

It was ok here...not great, but ok. I mean how can a champagne cave be not ok? :) That said, views good but not an overall a plus in my book.
www.travelisrequired.com

Calgary
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Tour was a charming experience-just right!”
Reviewed May 26, 2010

May 2010. Gloria Ferrer Champagne Caves is a beautiful little winery that gave us an interesting tour with a fun Q&A at the end. Very friendly, informed staff. There is a patio where you can enjoy a glass of wine with a lovely selections of crackers & cheeses they offer in their elegant gift shop. There is no pressure put upon the tourists to purchase their wine--it sells itself. Tour fee was $10 (one of the least expensive, but the tour) and included a selection of two of their sparkling wines throughout the tour. (Check their website for tour times). We were a group of four adults, two of whom are non-drinkers so the other two in our party were delighted that they got double their share of wine throughout the tour. If you take the tour, you can also, for a reduced price, sample the three "tasting wines of the day" which include Gloria Ferrer's award winning Champagne. The Champange must be absolutely wonderful, because I saw everyone buying a bottle of that bubbly.

1 Thank QuitoCalgary
Los Angeles, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Snobby and rude”
Reviewed August 10, 2009

My husband, my sister-in-law, and I recently took a trip to Sonoma and were looking forward to visiting the Gloria Ferrer Winery. We missed 11:00am tour, so we decided to order some sparkling wine and enjoy the awesome view of the vineyard. That was the best part. The part that was disappointing was the attitude we received from the two young men that were working behind the counter. They were snooty and rude. When I ordered my wine, I asked for one that is not too tart because it gets me at the back of my jaw. I did not appreciate being told that the reason that happens is because I've been drinking the "cheap stuff." (Veuve Clicquot is not cheap!) My sister-in-law was also told to "wait her turn" when she asked the young man at the register when the next tour began. Was it really too much to simply answer "1:00pm?" We did not wait for the next tour. It was the worst experience we had out of the six wineries we visited that weekend. I emailed the Gloria Ferrer Winery about our experience and have yet to receive a reply. With so many other wineries to visit, don't waste your time here -- especially since you have to pay for a full glass of sparkling wine in order to taste it. If you like sparkling wine, check out the Laetitia Winery in Arroyo Grande, CA. Their staff is knowledgeable and friendly.

3 Thank ILovetoCruise
Boston
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 246 helpful votes
“Wine bar - not a tasting room”
Reviewed July 21, 2009

If you are expecting a tasting with personal service drive on by. If you are looking to sit on a deck with a bottle of bubbly and enjoy a breathtaking view - stop the car. Their Champagne is excellent and reasonably priced. Order a bottle and glare out at their vineyards while sitting on their deck. Great way to end the day in Sonoma.

Des Moines, Iowa
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Great views and pink champagne!”
Reviewed November 8, 2007

This was the first winery stop on our honeymoon, and it was probably our favorite. We didn't get to take the tour, but everything else was enough fun to make up for it.

First of all, the views from Gloria Ferrer are absolutely stunning. From the balcony you can look out on the vineyards, or up to the mountains. It had rained earlier in the morning of the day we went, and apparently that scared everyone else inside, but it was lovely (and quiet) on the balcony for the two of us.

The people in the tasting room were quite friendly, and showed us where to look at the caves even though we couldn't tour (VIP group that day). The champagne is paid by the glass rather than tasting, as other posters have mentioned. We had a pink champagne that was great, and a dish of spiced almonds was provided to munch on, complimentary. Sipping our champagne and enjoying the views was a great way to kick off our honeymoon.

We bought a bottle to take home, which was a bit expensive by my tastes, but it was our honeymoon, so why not? Overall, we had a really good time here, and certainly recommend it to others.

1 Thank Cyclone05