“Stylish and modern with a great central location”

El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Reviewed December 12, 2009

I chose this hotel for its location as the reviews were quite mixed but was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were stylish and modern, with comfy four-poster beds, and the whole hotel was very nicely designed in a 'boutique hotel' style. Our room had a small balcony overlooking the pool area and restaurant terrace. The pool was small but nice with towels and reclining beds set out.

The location in Sonoma is excellent, right in the central square (where there is a good farmer's market where people sit outside listening to music and picnicking on a Tuesday night) with easy access to restaurants, bars etc. You can also hire bikes nearby to cycle round the vineyards which was really nice.

A lot of reviewers have mentioned the noise but we had no problems, though maybe in the height of summer if there were lots of people sitting outside the restaurant it might have been different. We ate in the restaurant which was lovely - they also do wine for half price on Wednesday nights which helped as it was quite pricey. We didn't have breakfast included but ate in the place in the lobby which was fine. The room price ws also quite high compared to similar places I've stayed but it was a nice place to stay and would recommend it for a break in Sonoma.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 29, 2009

We traveled to Sonoma for a wedding. We stayed here and had the best service. The front desk printed out maps for us to go on a beautiful drive. We stayed in one of the bungelows. It was a large room and quiet. This hotel has a great location on the square. We walked to local shops and restaurants. Fall is a beautiful time to visit.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank foleysfeet
Reviewed November 11, 2009

We had a room facing the courtyard and the pool (I've understood from other travelers that the rooms facing the street are very noisy). The rooms are a bit expensive, but we were very happy with ours. Clean, high ceilings, fridge and comfy bed. The location is also great for visiting both Samona and Napa.

The pool is small, so don't plan on staying there for the day.

But the best part is really the restaurant. We were two couples traveling together, and all four of us decided that this was one of the best meals we've ever eaten! And our waiter was the best! He also gave us some superb tips about which wineries to visit, and more.

We would definitely stay here next time in Samona.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2009

This was a very modern, but simple hotel. I liked that they had an ipod player in the room. Comfortable beds, nice balcony and fantastic location convenient to both Sonoma and Napa wineries. Make sure you eat at El Dorado Kitchen. It is fantastic! I would definitely stay here next time I am in Sonoma.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Plus; good location, decent restaurant with good food, but I felt rushed service & on the expensive side
Minus; Minute balcony, no elevator, hysterical 4 poster-metal frame work, noise from outside, very poor breakfast facilities, very basic room, on the whole poor value

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank caleyboy
Reviewed September 24, 2009

EDH is located right on Sonoma square. For southern Sonoma county, you could probably not pick a better location, geographically. I would recommend this hotel to a friend SUBJECT TO THE CAVEATS BELOW.

The rooms are nicely styled, VERY comfortable beds, decent bathrooms. Iron and ironing board, mini-fridge, and iHome iPod radio included. (The iHome in our room included a white noise feature which we needed, but did not help the street noise situation entirely (see below)). The rooms have small balconies, which is really a nice touch. The staff was adequate. The pool was, uh, just kind of there; good enough if you just want a dip after a hot day.

HOWEVER!!
As many of you may have done while reading some of these reviews, I was ambivalent to the comments regarding how loud the rooms are. “Oh, boy, another cranky customer exaggerating the negatives. Yadda yadda yadda.”

Believe the cranks! If you are in a Spain Street street-side room, you WILL NOT sleep through the night. I suspect the rooms on 1st St, facing the Plaza, are somewhat better. I think there is a lot of noisy traffic on Spain St. I know, at the very least, that the recycling truck that came by at 6:40 AM and did its best to make as much noise as possible smashing glasses did not go down 1st St.

I actually live in the city. I am not unfamiliar with street noise. That’s another thing I thought of when reading other reviews: “Oh, they probably live in the country and are not used to it.” Trust me, this was a whole other level noise. Unless you live on the corner of 8th and 42nd, you will not be accustomed to this noise.

Seriously, if I were to do it again, I would stay at the Best Western a few blocks away. I stayed there a couple years ago. No, the rooms at the BW are not stylish, but they are quiet. Plus, the pool at the BW is actual NICER than the EDH. You can walk to Sonoma Plaza from there.

That all said, I do not suggest that you dismiss the EDH entirely from consideration. They have some bungalows which look cool and are away from the noise of the street. Also, if you are able to ensure that you get an interior facing “courtyard” room, you’d probably be OK. But how would you be sure you’d get that room? What if you’re checking in late and they give them all away? I personally will not risk that happening to me.

Tip: if you need a close-by place for breakfast, skip the “Kitchenette” in the hotel, unless you want “gourmet pastries”. Walk out the front door, make a right, and right next door is a decent breakfast place.

For dinner the El Dorado Kitchen was excellent and worth the money. No complaints there. Better than the girl and the fig across the street.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We stayed here in May 2009 for a wedding at Sebastiani Wineries. Our room was paid for by the bride and groom, so I'm not sure what the cost per night was at the hotel. The hotel's location to Sebastiani is wonderful...within a 5 minute walk. The location of the hotel is excellent right in the midst of the town square. We did not encounter a noise problem, though I know many other travelers did have issues with the noise level. The hotel staff was average, not overly friendly but not overly unfriendly either. The bed was comfortable and the furnishings were tasteful. The bathroom was small and water kept leaking out of our shower door - making a puddle outside the shower area. The bathroom could have used a little updating in general. The rehearsal dinner was held at the El Dorado Kitchen (which is the restaurant for the hotel). Food was good, but nothing exceptional.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple