“Okay Hotel. Great restaurant”

El Dorado Hotel & Kitchen
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Sonoma
Reviewed November 25, 2007

We just returned from a 3 day stay in Sonoma at the El Dorado Hotel. The hotel is conveniently located on the Plaza. A short walk to dining and shopping.

Our room was not in the main hotel but a bungalow. A small dark room adjacent to the hotel's parking lot (small as well with room for only about 10-12 cars). The room had no dresser, a very small flat screen LCD television, no bath tub, just a shower. Poor lighting was not a help in this room either (a desk lamp and overhead light only) which means either all or nothing. Perhaps the rooms in the main hotel are better. Staff was friendly and as helpful as possible.

Now on to the best part of the hotel for you foodies out there, which is the EDH Kitchen. We had two meals in the hotel's restaurant, one of which was Thanksgiving. Both meals were marvelous. Well trained and experienced service staff will try to accomodate your needs.

Don't let what appears to be small portions make you think you will leave hungry. We had scallops that were perfectly prepared with a parmesan garlic risotto which any Italian mother would be proud of. They also served the best filet of beef I can remember tasting anywhere.

Be certain to note that the kitichen tends to default on the low side of the temperature of the meat so be certain to specify. On another occasion, we had the lobster ravioli. A rich and sumptous dish which would make the journey back worth it. Lastly, the desserts where amazing as was the wine selection. Be certain to have one of the speciality drinks. Their mojitos are the best we have had west of the Mississippi!

All in all, we would certainly go back to the restaurant for a fine meal, but I cannot say we would stay at the hotel without seeing a better room.

Cheers!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank drjohnrx

Reviewed November 9, 2007

Over a week in the Sonoma/San Francisco area, this was the favorite hotel of our entire honeymoon. The room was great, the location right on the Sonoma Square can't be beat, and the staff was very helpful and courteous.

We had a room with a street view, and a balcony where we could sit and watch all the activity or just gaze out onto the square. The room itself was very modern in terms of decor - no ugly floral patterns, just nice bold colors. The bed was very comfortable, too. We had no issues with the noise that others have complained about. Sure, we heard some noise outside at times, but it sure wasn't enough to affect our stay. We were there on a Monday night, so perhaps it becomes worse on the weekends.

One word of warning for potential guests: the key to your room does not necessarily unlock the balcony door! I found this out the hard way after closing the door behind me on the balcony, and not being able to get back in. Luckily, our balcony connected to the adjacent one, and our neighbors let us back in the building. After that, I made sure to flip the lock switch on the balcony door before going back outside!

All in all, this is a very nice, classy hotel with a cool modern look to it and very comfortable rooms. The balcony views are great, and a fun place to enjoy a bottle of whatever you may have discovered in the Sonoma Valley. Definitely consider the El Dorado if you are staying in Sonoma!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Cyclone05
Reviewed November 8, 2007

This hotel tries to be a bar too, and the staff will tell you so. Problem is, your room might be right above the resturant, which turns into a loud boisterous drunken nightclub.

We stayed 4 nights, the first 2 were on the street side, and very very
noisy. You hear every single car and conversation outside on the VERY BUSY streets through the thin French Doors. The garbage truck picks up
the trash at 5 am, so you get a very early wake up. We asked to be moved, and were, to a room across the hall. We could no longer hear the street, but instead got to listen to the party on the patio area and in the resturant. This starts in the afternoon and builds until late (11 pm). The stereo thumps away in the floor of your rooms.

The location is great, the place is attractive contempory/old mission,
but you can forget enjoying or getting much rest or sleep.

On, our last night there was a drunken Bachelor Party going on till after 11pm. The staff was not very concerned when I complained. Their apology was "were trying to get them out of here, it will be over soon"

At check out the next morning, the Manager was too busy to talk to me, and has not responded to an email I sent. The couple we were traveling with complained and asked for a rebate or other compensation
and were denied.

BRING EARPLUGS IF YOU EXPECT TO SLEEP

Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank 327Camaro
Reviewed November 8, 2007

I was looking forward to staying at the El dorado but was a little let down. We had to haul our suitcases up the stairs - I'm usually happy to carry my own case and don't mind avoiding bell hops but I felt a bit ridiculous literally dragging my own case up the stairs!

There were no tea/coffe facilities in the room, although you could get drip coffee or tea from the cafe in the morning.

Room was nice enough but there was a large group outside and we could hear every single word they said!

No real complaints, Sonama a good stop off, just didn't stand out from the other hotels we stayed in on our trip round California.

• Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank Lou17
Reviewed October 9, 2007

My boyfriend and I had a great 4 nights here, the staff including Angie, Skye, and Kenny (?) were always professional and very willing to help.

Pro's: location......I don't think you can find a better value for the same type of room directly on Sonoma's town square. I'm not into lace doily decoration/turn of the century accommodations, if you are this place is not for you. Free Wi-Fi in the Kitchenette, free drip coffee and tea's in the mornings. Street parking right out from was not a problem.

Con's: The street side rooms are as loud as everyone else is dishing on. I was awakened at 6am by local traffic, however, we were able to switch to a new room (hence the 2 sets of room photos) with no problems courtesy of the staff. Tiny bathrooms, bad water pressure in showers, dim lighting, lack of dressers and small closets could be problematic for some tourists although we didn't mind.

Definitely eat breakfast next door at the Sunflower Cafe, have dinner at the bar at Girl and the Fig - great bartenders (can't recall names) and eat dinner at Harvest Moon Cafe's back patio. All are within one block of the El Dorado. The back bar at the Wine Exchange across the plaza was our nightly stop and had great tasting options for $1 as well as friendly locals.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CriticalinChicago
Reviewed September 20, 2007

The location of this hotel is fantastic. Right on Sonoma's main square, steps away from a beautiful park, great dining, and cute little shops. A short drive away from more wineries than you can shake a stick at. And the food is wonderful...they are known for their restaurant and bar, both were great.

And now, the rest of the story.

Noise, Part I:
Our room faced the street. At first this seemed nice, as we could see the park and generally have a nice view of the Plaza. However, we hadn't realized that the streets running through the Plaza are actually very (very!) highly trafficked roads that people use to get through Sonoma...especially people with very loud trucks and motorcycles. In lieu of a window, the room had doors which opened onto a small balcony. Unfortunately, the doors did absolutely nothing to block sound, and we could hear every single car/truck/motorcycle/pedestrian/etc. that passed by. A really big truck would make the room shake. We asked for a different room, and were told that the only other one available was right next door to this one, i.e. with the same problem. So I got out the earplugs and prepared for a rough night.

Light, or the Lack Thereof:
The bedside table (there's only 1) had a flashlight in the drawer. We couldn't figure that one out, until we realized that the room's only light came from a small bedside lamp. No overhead light. No nothing. We could open the sliding slatted doors to let light in from the balcony doors, but then the whole world would see every move we made inside our room. My wife had to read by flashlight before bed.

The rooms all have nice TVs and DVD players. After trying many times to get the DVD player to work, I called the front desk. This was a chore, as the cordless phone didn't work, so I had to use speakerphone and yell into the thing to be heard. I asked about a separate remote for the DVD player. The nice young woman at the front desk asked me if I'd tried all the buttons on the TV remote. Pushing down my rage and sarcasm, I asked again if she had any separate remote for the DVD player. She said the rooms only had 1 remote each. Eventually I walked down to the front desk and asked again. In person, she could no longer hide the truth, and she opened her desk drawer to reveal several remotes which she said "didn't work quite right." Apparently these remotes wouldn't turn on and off the TV. The reason, of course, is that these were the remotes for the DVD players. Speaking of the DVD player, in order to accomodate it in the room, the staff had helpfully unplugged our refrigerator. I discovered that one as I tried to store some cheese we had purchased for a picnic that day. Good thing I always pack an outlet expander. In addition to there being only 1 bedside table, there was also no dresser in the room, so we had to cram clothes into every little nook and cranny we could find. That was fun.

Noise, Part II:
Remember that restaurant and bar I mentioned? Well, the bar starts playing loud music with a heavy bassline every afternoon right around nap time. And the restaurant attracts a crowd of extraordinarily loud people who seemed to be having a very good time. In fact, I know they were having a good time, because I could hear every word of their conversation from my bed (when they weren't drowned out by a passing truck). The earplugs came to the rescue again, but they couldn't stop the bed from shaking lightly in time with the bassline of the bar music.

The good news is that the (very young, inexperienced) staff was very nice to us (except I think they lied about not being able to switch us to an interior room, as we checked in early and many people checked in after us), and the bed was extremely comfortable when it wasn't shaking from noise. And the location really was great. However, I would never stay here again unless I wasn't planning to sleep, use any lights, or bring any clothes.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank dogloverdc
Reviewed August 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for two nights (Sunday and Monday nights) as part of our one year anniversery trip. We LOVED the hotel! It was very nice, very clean, and very comfortable. The best part though was the location. We toured Sonoma and Napa and liked Sonoma the best. El Dorado is right on the square and there's a little park and lots of shops and restaurants. And, Sebastiani Vineyards is a short 10 minute walk down the street. We stayed in room 4, which is on the corner with the largest balcony. You should definitely request this room or room 3; they are the best and most requested. The balcony really is huge and it's wonderful to sit outside in the evening and overlook everything. There's free wine tasting in the lobby Monday evenings which was fun. We didn't eat at the restaurant- instead we went next door to Girl and the Fig which was one of the best meals I've ever eaten. We also ate at Glen Ellen Inn Restaurant which was good too.
The only thing we didn't like ab the hotel was the noise from outside at night. I had read reviews on here so I was prepared for it but the weirdest thing was both nights, around 3-5am, it sounded like horses were galloping above us. It was the oddest thing, b/c the hotel is only two floors and we were on the top floor. We could not for the lives of us figure out what the noise could be! Maybe they were doing something in the attic... We were going to ask but then just let it go since our overall experience really was great. It really was a nice hotel- we had a great time and loved Sonoma!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple