“Just OK”
Review of Willow Stream Spa

Willow Stream Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Spas & Wellness in Sonoma
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were just day guests at the spa and did not stay at the hotel.

The spa facilities are OK, but a lot can be done to make it nicer. Given the other fantastic spas in the area (Solage, etc.), they need to do a lot better at this price point.

The positives are that there's a nice gift shop. You can go to any classes taking place at the time. We didn't make it to the yoga, but that would have been nice. I also liked the exfoliating scrub in the shower (they call it an exfoliating shower, but really it's just a regular shower with scrubbing lotion in the soap dispensers). Finally, they have monthly specials for certain treatments that they offer at a discounted priced, so that's also nice.

Areas for improvement:
The waiting area isn't that relaxing and when it came time for our massages the area was packed with about two dozen people. It felt like a doctor's office with all the people coming and going when their names were called. I also can't believe how many people were there on a weekday.

I got the lavender kur and it was just OK. The therapist talked a lot about her rental cottage and the scalp massage portion was way less than what I get at just a regular massage. The room felt like the break room at a local elementary school.

You can't use the Watsu pool when there is a therapist in there with a client...and I can't imagine that the client would really be able to relax knowing that everyone walking by can see them getting their treatment.

You can hear cars going by when you're at the pool - there's nothing like a truck clanging by with its load and exhaust fumes to put you at ease. It's dead silent in the steam room which is a little awkward with all the dripping noises and given how many people are sometimes in there. Both areas could probably use some nice music piped in to help set the tone.

While hanging out at the pool afterwards, service was hit or miss. Before our services, the server was great about coming by. After our services, we wanted to grab lunch and had to go find the waiter after waiting for 15 minutes. The waiter was friendly and the food was fine, though.

Given the great spas in the Napa and Sonoma area, I wouldn't go out of my way to go here.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were invited to attend a wedding one weekend in August of 2011. The events began on Friday night and ended on Sunday afternoon. The hotel is beautiful, the grounds outstanding, the staff welcoming and helpful. Our weekend was a real retreat for us being with friends sharing a very special event. Food was fantastic, large wedding, everything hot and delicious.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were here for a meeting and really enjoyed this property. The room was nice and must have been one of the newly renovated ones. Check in and other staff were friendly and helpful. Each concierge that we spoke with was friendly and helpful. Don't forget to ask for the cards for complementary wine tastings at some of the vineyards.
I had a good massage experience - very relaxing. The bathing ritual looked interesting altho it didn't work out for me to try it while I was there.
The spa (and thus the fitness center) don't open until 6am, and this is West Coast time. With it had opened earlier. Also, they charged $29 to use the fitness center unless you had a spa treatment that day. Same thing for access to spa (bathing ritual, etc) in general.
The outdoor pool that is outside the pool is nice. It is heated, for those cool summer mornings. Good place for an early morning swim (before the fitness center is open!).
While this property is nice, the immediate environs/area is not a very nice neighborhood. There is not a jogging/bike path on property, but you can jog down 1 mile to the city's jog/bike path which opens up to a nice field and leads to a winery. You can rent bikes at the property.
Overall, a nice experience.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I arrived on time and I noticed immediately that the front desk did not have there act together. The asked for my information which was outdated. On entering the spa I noticed from the last time I was there 2 years prior that the facility has become rough around the edges. The lockers, showers, benches, fabrics looked worn. The massage was aromatherapy, but I could hardly smell anything. It was a hot day and there was no air conditioning in the massage rooms which created a sticky feeling all the way around. The massage was lack luster, no soul and actually left me with a back ache that caused me a couple of nights of sleeplessness. I had a 100 dollar gift certificate which I used to pay for two massages one for myself and one for my daughter. I even paid the 18 percent tip. Meanwhile later that day I checked my bank account and they charged me for two massages with the gift card and it cost me 698.98. WOW. I called the manager and again they needed to update my information that I had already updated with them on their computer system 4 day prior and they said that by tuesday the situation would be resolved. Alas tuesday has come and gone and guess what I have to call them back again. Spare yourself the grief and spent your money at a spa that cares.

1  Thank topaze m
Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

We have a room off to the side on the first floor that you would think would be loud and small- but it is completely quiet, beautifully appointed and has a wonderful bathroom. The concierge has been right on the money with all of the recommendations.