“Good but very expensive”

Mortensen's Danish Bakery
Ranked #2 of 11 Dessert in Solvang
Cuisines: Cafe, European, Scandinavian, Danish
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Laguna Beach, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good but very expensive”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The pastries were beautiful and delicious but they were very expensive. I would have taken some home to my kids but some pastries were over $6 each!

Visited June 2014

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Delightfully flaky pastries!”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

After several hours of walking sight-seeing in the village of Solvang, I decided to buy dessert for the cousins I was visiting at Vandenberg AFB. The aroma when I walked in was wonderful, and the selection almost overwhelming. I walked up & down the double bakery cases, muttering to myself, trying to decide what to buy, and asking questions about ingredients so as to avoid specific allergens. The lady behind the counter was extremely patient. Finally I chose 4 individual pastries --- apple & cinnamon & raspberry flavors --- and headed "home."
We made the dessert contingent on the children eating their supper first ... then let them have first choice, and split the flavors, even having a little leftover for breakfast! Everyone was delighted with the flavors, and textures, and freshness. If I ever get back to Solvang, this will be one of my first stops.

• Visited May 2014
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“Danish Deliciousness”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I believe this is the bakery that supplies for many of the hotels. Danishes for breakfast in Solvang is the norm. The danishes aren't your normal frozen and small danishes that most hotels offer. These are large, flakey absolutely delicious danishes made fresh from the next door bakery.

Visited June 2014
Keighley, United Kingdom
“Danish to die for!”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Wow! You must come here for their gourmet Danish pastries. The fruit boats in particular were amazing. The apple turnovers were some of the best we've ever had. The custard danish was scrumptious. The coffee was plentiful and the hot chocolate was not too sweet. Overall, I'm a happy bunny!

• Visited June 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
“This is the Place to Stop”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Of all the bakeries we tried (most of them), Mortensen's was our favorite. They may have had a smaller bakery case than some, but the quality was the best. The waffle pastry with raspberry jam and buttercream were fantastic. They also had pastry cups with different flavors of buttercream such as raspberry and lemon. Their buttercream was thick and creamy and delicious. We also tried a few of the cookies which I didn't think I would like but they were all great. We had to go back the next day before we left town and get a couple more of our favorites. There were tables inside or outside and the employees were all very friendly.

• Visited June 2014

Been to Mortensen's Danish Bakery? Share your experiences!