“Probably the best bakery in Solvang”

Mortensen's Danish Bakery
Ranked #2 of 11 Dessert in Solvang
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Westminster, California
“Probably the best bakery in Solvang”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Durning our trip to Solvang we had Danishes here a couple of times, to our taste they are the best in town. And yes they are very friendly.

Visited August 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Washington, Utah
“In a town filled with bakeries, why did we walk into this one”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The folks behind the counter in this place should be wearing masks and holding a gun. We had two cheese danish and two coffees at a cost of just over $14.00. The only other place I have ever visited that raped their customers like this was in Italy.

As for the danish, they were good but really not any better than some I have had at other bakeries where they cost around $2.00 each. As for the coffee - the decaf had probably been sitting on the warmer since the night before....if tasted like burned tar). I will say that when I complained about the coffee they did admit it had been made earlier in the day (this was at about 4:30 in the afternoon so it obviously had plenty of time to build up the bottom sludge).
They asked if I would like another cup - WHY this offer I am not sure since they had not made a fresh pot (explanation: "not many people drink decaf"). Okay, they did finally offer to refund the price of the cup of coffee AND I ACCEPTED.

The exterior of the building is charming but inside the bakery the ambiance is lacking.....not one little taste of Denmark. The bakery sales area is small, has a limited selection and almost appears to be the "walk through" into the adjacent "gift shop". The seating is limited and as such you may just find yourself sitting in the traffic flow. In addition, there are no rest rooms on the premises so be prepared to "hold it" long enough to make the 1 1/2 block walk to the nearest facilities. Overall, not a very good experience.

Glendora, California
“Yuuummmm”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Great, authentic place to grab some pastries. You can either eat there or take it with you while you walk around and site see.

Visited February 2013
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
“Enjoy the Danish Pastries”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I recommend the tasty danish pastries. The only disappointment was that they would not refill our coffee's while we were still enjoying the pastries. The afternoon treats and coffees were over $25 and we were sure they could have given us a warm up on our coffee cups. Good food and a good memory anyway....

Oakland, California
“It's all about the Danish . . . .”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I spent the last five days in Santa Barbara County, including the quaint (quasi-) Danish town of Solvang. I ate at no fewer than seven establishments that touted themselves as purveyors of Danish pastries and cookies. Of all of them, I enjoyed the food at Mortensen's most of all. The selection of breakfast and dessert baked items was varied and sizable. I partook of pastries and cookies at various points during my visits. Their pastries were neither soggy/gummy nor dry, just perfectly flaky. Among all the Solvang bakeries, Mortensen's cookies were the freshest I sampled. Because I enjoy a hint of coconut flavor, their cookies were particularly scrumptious. Moreover, Mortensen's staff were very friendly and solicitous, even going to the back and bringing out WARM COOKIES to give a customer the freshest ones available.

On the negative side, Mortensen's coffee could use an upgrade, and the interior design is very much 1950s.

On balance, I'm sorry I didn't go exclusively to Mortensen's for all my baked goods during my trip.