All reviewsindoor poolpotatoeswine tastingoatmeallobster bisqueelectric fireplaceflat screenfresh fruithot tuba great place to staymid weeksliding doorfree breakfastwine countryroom ratesanta barbarain town
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We stayed at the Hadsten House in Solvang for one night in October while traveling between San Diego and San Francisco. I had carefully studied the reviews of many other hotels in Solvang and this one appeared to be one of the nicest. We arrived at the specified check-in time only to find out that our room was not ready. We had booked the king spa suite, room #200. We were told our room was not ready and to have a seat in the lobby which we did. The hotel lobby staff really didn't seem to have it together and we noticed we were not the only ones who had difficulty at check in. We finally left and my husband drove me to town so I could shop while he went back to check in. When he got back to check in, there was a different clerk at the desk and another man checking in. The inept clerk then asked my husband if he was "with" the other gentleman who was checking in! Not the best way to greet your guests! I shopped in Solvang and walked back to the room, which was not far, maybe a 5 minute walk from the shopping area. The hotel is an old Vagabond Inn or something like that which has been extensively re-modeled. They did not have wireless internet so we had to use our CAT cord, which we were thankful we had in the laptop case. So keep this in mind if you're bringing your laptop. We had THE BEST DINNER at the restaurant located right there at Hadsten House. Husband had the pork chop, I had the filet mignon, we both were very impressed with the food. The service was excellent as well. Even if you stay somewhere else in Solvang, I would recommend dinner at this restaurant. Superb! We were given a complimentary bottle of wine as well. The hotel has an indoor swimming pool which we chose not to use because the water did not seem very warm on this chilly evening. They have an outdoor spa as well, and we didn't use that because there was another couple in it and we didn't want to intrude. Since we had the spa suite and the tub is big enough for two, we decided to go back to our room and try out our own spa. The in-room spa is located in a little alcove off the main bedroom. It started out OK, but it quickly got so hot in that small area, that we had to get out. We could not get the tub to drain, so we had to leave the water in it all night for the housekeeping staff to drain the next day. The king bed was fine, nothing to shout about. I had to keep punching my pillow into a ball to get enough support but we managed to have a restful night. Got up the next morning and went to the complimentary breakfast which is held in the same location as we had dinner the night before. This breakfast was above average. The eggs were fluffly and delicious and they had bacon and sausage as well. The potatoes were cold and the gravy was very runny, but the eggs, bacon, and sausage were great. For the price we paid ($200 + with tax), it was not a particularly good value considering the room was not all that special. It is an older property which they have tried to cleverly disguise in new clothing. For the most part, they have done a great job.
Their lobby staff could be better. The room was just OK. We will stay at a diffent hotel the next time we return to Solvang but we'll probably go back and eat dinner at Hadsten House. However, we don't choose our hotels based on their food, we choose them based on the rooms and this one was nothing to shout about. Their certainly wasn't anything BAD about it, but for the price we paid, we expected something nicer. Solvang is a cute little town and the Santa Ynez Valley is beautiful in the Fall.

Reviewed October 31, 2010

I picked this hotel based on reviews on trip advisor. I typically takeball reviews withva grain of salt but upon reading trip advisor and looking at the hotels website i was sold. My boyfriend and i wanted to have a nice little overnight trip over halloween weekend and aftrler our stay i couldn't have been happier. The front desk was welcoming, the room was adorable, quaint, clean and comforting. The turn down service is great too. Its rare you receive this type of service anymore.

We then walked no more than a couple blocks to go wine tasting at lucas& llewellyn which has come to be one of our favorite wine tasting places in solvang. We were able to comfortably walk back, have dinner at the hotel which was great, and enjoy a bottle of wine. The restaurant is very good. They have a great burger believe it or not. The menu warns you to wait 25 mins for it and is worth it!! The bottle of wine helped pass the time too hehe.

Overnight the beds were a bit hard compared to our pillowtop soft beds at home but we have come to expect that of hotels. It was still comfortable and warm and welcoming. Breakfast in the morning was great too! Loved the danishes.

Overall a great stay and i would recommend the hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Ok So just to start off....I created an accout here on TA so that I could specifically review this hotel! (hopefully that says alot!)

This hotel is exactly what the title says!! It is SUPER cute! No detail was overlooked at this property! The Lobby has a nice welcoming feel! The grounds are well maintained. And the rooms are amazing! We stayed in room 217 (suite). We came to Solvang for our 4th Anniversary, and it was just what we were looking for! The room was very clean, with plantation shutters, great decor and a nice jacuzzi tub with its own flatscreen and fireplace! HUGE bathroom and turndown service was great! We did get a massage and the spa was so quaint and cute! Amazing massages also! We had breakfast every morning that is complimentary....worth it for sure! GREAT danishes that are homemade from a bakery...(we took some home!) Happy Hour of beer and wine with cheese crackers was a NICE touch! The bartender there was a pleasure to speak with as well! We did use the jacuzzi at night....nice ambience! Had dinner ther as well....yummy food!! All in All???!! We'll be back for sure!!! You will NOT GO WRONG WITH THIS PLACE!!!!
MY only suggestion to the mgmt here......To have your front desk clerks give you helpful information about the town upon check in!! Thank god I already had used TA to get fun places to visit and do here in Solvang and got hotel info before we went! The day we were leaving we noticed a guest had a map of the city....We didnt even know you had a map to help us get around and all the places of interests!!! That wouldve been helpful upon check in! (thank god for Garmin) And I had read that The HH offered free wine tasting at nearby wineries....but I had to ask for the paper you take to get the tasting! Wouldve never even known about that had I not done my research! So for future guests, remember this above! It will definately help you out as well as save money on wine tastings!!! Enjoy your stay!
P.S. You MUST go to the Ostrich Land place....super cute!!

Reviewed October 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Hadsten House for 3 nights on a wine trip to Solvang. Check in process was easy, we had booked a regular room but was upgraded for free for my wife's birthday! That was very nice. They also made dinner reservations for us at the restaurants we wanted. They also provided a list of wineries that will give free tastings to those that stay at Hadsten, which also saved us money too.

The layout is very similar to a motel, however that is where the comparison ends. The rooms are smartly decorated and very new and modern, dark colored woods . The beds were comfortable, clean and the bathrooms were nice as well.

The breakfasts in the morning were decent, with an assortment of hot and cold food. The menu never changed, but it was still good. We did go to the breakfast place across the street one day for a change of menu.

Location is great, right near the downtown, easy walk. Also located off a main street, so access to the wineries was a breeze.

My wife also had a massage at the spa that she said was wonderful.

Overall, we recommend highly. You will not be disappointed!!!

Reviewed October 22, 2010

We stayed two nights at Hadsten House to celebrate an anniversary. Although the hotel looks a bit modest as you pull up, once inside, you'll see very nice accommodations, with friendly staff. The rooms are really beautiful, and look more like a boutique hotel. It's richly elegant, with very upscale furnishings, and very comfortable bed and linens. There is an artistic touch to the decor, that isn't what you'd expect upon seeing the outside!
We enjoyed their evening reception of wine and appetizers, and the hot breakfast was delicious, and ample! You are close to everything in Solvang, which is a charming little town, and we took advantage of going to a free open air concert at the end of the farmer's market, in the park. Good easy listening music, with a nice community atmosphere! Fun seeing all the locals greeting their friends, and realizing that this is a regular feature for the town, to come together at.
Solvang is only about 40 min away from Santa Barbara and the Mission there, and makes for a great side trip for the day, if you've already scoped out all the little shops in Solvang. But it was so nice at the end of the day to come back to our beautiful little hotel room at the Hadsten House, and just relax before going out for dinner.
They also have an indoor pool, as well as a beautiful enclosed, outside seating area, which we didn't know about till after we checked out.
You will not find a friendlier staff. Especially Mike, who went out of his way to help me track down an article of clothing I'd left behind in the armoire in our hotel room
(3 months ago!!!) now THAT'S quality customer service!!! (something you don't see too much of these days)
We'd choose to stay there again if we get a chance to return.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple