All reviewsindoor poolpotatoeswine tastingoatmeallobster bisqueelectric fireplaceflat screenfresh fruithot tuba great place to staymid weeksliding doorfree breakfastwine countryroom ratesanta barbarain town
Reviewed November 9, 2008

Hadsten House was very recently redone and our room was great. Location is on west side of Solvang and and easy 5 minute walk from downtown. We'd stay there again in a minute. Special rates apply in late fall. Be sure to take a wine tour of Santa Ynez Valley with Eric John of Stagecoach Wine Tours. The hotel can make arrangements - our tour was fabulous.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank JackRule
Reviewed November 9, 2008

It is my intention in this review to reassure my fellow Gay travelers, as well as the educated traveling public in general, that Hadsten House is a cut far above its Star Rating and is particularly friendly to all.

My boyfriend and I checked into Hadsten House looking forward to a couple of relaxing days tasting the wines of Santa Barbara. Upon Arrival we were greeted by Linda at the front desk who not only welcomed us warmly but assured us that if we had anything we needed she was our girl. We booked a room with a whirlpool tub and a king bed. We were escorted to room #100 at the very corner of the building closest to the road. Not only did I never hear a thing from the road but it begs to reason that the corner rooms are larger and there for have room to accommodate the extra amenity of the tub. The room was special, its location just fine and far exceeded our expectations. It was my partner's birthday weekend and a knock soon rang out on the door followed by the delivery of a bottle of sparkling wine congratulating him on the milestone. We couldn't have been made to feel more welcome. We consulted with Linda many times during the stay and were given great recommendations for area activities, dining opportunities and wineries of note.

I decided after visiting a few tasting rooms that a nap was in my future. As I nodded off my partner decided to venture off and explore the property a bit. He woke me up an hour later telling me how many people he had met over in the Lobby and Restaurant and how awesome they all were and I had to get up and meet them. To my surprise, they were all staff members at Hadsten House. This friendly rapport continued throughout our stay. It even extended to the wineries and tasting rooms where, upon learning where we were staying, staff members all agreed that the owners had done a great job on the physical property and that they never hear anything but praise from travelers passing through regarding Hadsten House.

Finally, I would like to address the "Gay Friendly" issue directly. I would recommend Hadsten House to all of my gay friends without exception and look forward to bringing back friends on my next visit. It is unfair to characterize any issue that one may have with a specific problem as "Homophobia" without merit. I run a hotel myself in Hyannis, Massachusetts and am sensitive to this kind of criticism. When a guest arrives and is looking for an upgrade there are a great many factors that go into accommodating that request. In a small property rooms are often booked and assigned well before the request of an upgrade or special attention is made. Moving people around often starts a domino effect that has the potential to do more harm than good. A front desk representative is often left in a position wanting to help but backed into a corner to rectify a room assignment issue especially if the property is full. My friendly and respectful advice to travelers is to take things a lot less personally and lighten up a little. Each day is what we make it and joy begets joy. Just because it's your Birthday, Honeymoon, Anniversary or whatever doesn't mean it's all about you to everyone. A smile will go further than an announcement. And not everyone is looking to give you a present.

Thank you Linda and to the entire staff at Hadsten House, Keep up the good work!!

2  Thank rmorningglory
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I am choosing to comment solely on service in this review. See other reviews for comments on decor, amenities, etc.

Perhaps the front desk staff is cold to everyone and I would be over-reaching by describing the interaction we had as outright homophobic, but I wasn't impressed by the chilly reception we got as newlyweds on on the first night of our honeymoon at the Hadsten House.

My wife and I arrived on a Thursday afternoon. Although the hotel was less than half full, the staff member at reception assigned us a room close to the highway with a view of a dumpster out the back window. I was surprised, given the amount of time I spent with a gentleman on the phone several days before, going over the options of what quiet rooms were available, how we were coming for our honeymoon, etc. We returned to reception and I informed the woman there that we were just starting our honeymoon, and that we didn't want to be so close to the highway and have a view of a dumpster.

"You want a different room?", she asked, as if I was making a mountain out of a molehill and she could easily accommodate me. No eye-contact. No smile. No "congratulations!". None of the usual responses that one expects to get when one announces that one is newly married. This person's behavior was not impressive to me, especially given that she is supposed to be in the "hospitality" business.

Perhaps she didn't understand what I meant by "honeymoon". (Yes, I actually meant honeymoon!!) Or maybe all of the "Yes on 8" signs in the nearby countryside had seeped into her brain and convinced her that it was alright to treat a newly-married, openly lesbian couple as less than worthy of respect. Or maybe she was just having "a bad day". Whatever the case, homophobic or not, the service was cold, cold, cold. Not a great way to kick off your honeymoon.

I have seen this type of behavior before. When dining in a so-called "upscale" restaurant (which was really just snooty) with a friend who happens to be biracial...the waitstaff reacted to any request she made as if she was making a huge fuss, when she really wasn't. They also spoke to her the way one might speak to an enraged farm animal or a young child having a tantrum.

Gay and lesbian wine lovers beware! This probably isn't the place to choose for your honeymoon in Santa Ynez wine country! I hope the Hadsten House removes their ad from purpleroofs, because if your staff aren't gay-friendly, you shouldn't be advertising your hotel (or, in this case, glorified motel) as such.

Any decent accommodation should train staff to treat ALL guests with respect. I would certainly expect this from a place that touts itself on being a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank Wide_World_Explorer
hotelgmSolvang, General Manager at Hadsten House, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2008

I was very concerned to read this review. I also sent a private response last week which as of today has not been acknowledged. The thrust of this negative review is that the guest felt that we were not Gay or Lesbian friendly. I apologize if she was given that impression for any reason. The fact is that the Hadsten House treats all of our guests the same regardless of race, age or sexual orientation. We have had many Gay and Lesbian guests that were very happy and have never had a review such as this. As a matter of fact the same front desk person mentioned just got a glowing letter from a Gay couple thanking her for making their trip outstanding and for making them feel so welcome. On another note the front desk person actually sent a bottle of champagne to help the guests celebrate their Honeymoon (which we do for all newlyweds or special occasions) however we were unable to deliver the bottle since there was a do not disturb sign on the door until after 9pm. As for the guests comments on Prop 8 and a bad experience at someone else’s restaurant on some other trip, I do not feel that it is fair to include those comments in our review as the hotel in no way supported prop 8, nor was there any such signage on our property and the comments on the other restaurant are irrelevant to their stay with us.

Reviewed October 31, 2008

We had a great experience at our recent stay at the Hadsten House, in Solvang. From the time of booking the room, to check-in /check out, we had a completely positive experience. The Inn is new & the guest room was decorated quite nicely. The restaurant was lovely & I we had the best dinner of our entire vacation which also included Monterey & Carmel. The Staff was friendly & helpful.

The facility & experience exceeded our expectations & we will not hesitate to recommend it to others. We give the Hadsten House a 10 rating for one of the best. Thank you.

2  Thank Dravath
Reviewed October 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed here Oct. 24-26th for a wine country weekend, and we were very pleased with Hadsten House. From the moment we stepped into the room, we thought we were in a luxery hotel in Europe! It had a beautiful armoire for a closet that also had robes, a small fridge, Ironing board and iron. A lovely desk with a charming old world phone, a fleur-de-lis chair, flat screen tv, dvd player, romantic fireplace, and a beautiful bathroom with pampering amenities. The bed and linens were comfy and we enjoyed the whole atmosphere. The wine and cheese reception in the evening was great, as well as the wonderful breakfast in the morning. I would also recommend eating at the Los Olivos Cafe in Los Olivos and Brother's Restaurant at Mattei's Tavern in Los Olivos. Mattei's Tavern was built in the 1800's and use to be an old stage coach stop. The trout was to die for! It was a wonderful weekend and I highly recommend Hadsten House to all.

2  Thank Debra M