“At least they made up for it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hadsten House

Hadsten House
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Solvang
Roseville, California
“At least they made up for it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was fully prepared to write a less than positive review here. My wife and I researched carefully for a room in Solvang and this seemed to fit the bill, especially the jacuzzi tub with (faux) fireplace. We arrived early so we walked about town and the staff called me on my cell to tell me the room was ready. We were pleasantly surprised with the size, decor, and cleanliness of the room, much nicer than the outside "motel" look would indicate. The staff had set the flowers I ordered (this was our 27 anniversary)in the room and in water ahead of time. So far, so good. Once I took my shoes off, however, I noticed an area of carpet near the bathroom was soaking wet. When I brought it to the front desk's attention, they asked if I wanted housekeeping to look it. I thought that was a little strange. They didn't seemed too concerned over a possible leaking pipe ruining their carpet. I let it be as it wasn't in our way. Next came the kicker though. NO hot water! The hotel's 2 hot water tanks were broken and no one to fix during the holiday weekend. No shower, no shave, and no jacuzzi tub (the biggest reason we chose this place). It put a big damper on the weekend and I couldn't wait to write a scathing review. Management, however, went above and beyond what we expected in rectifying a situation they ultimately had little control over, as a quality hotel should. They even comped the $100 we dropped on dinner. We checked out as happy campers. Way to bring a 2 star back up to a 5, guys.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Eric W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I ate here in early January with another couple and the food was really good so that's why I give this place two out of five. We sat in the center of the restaurant and the lights were beaming in our eyes so we asked our waitress to turn them down. She did but towards the end of the salad course the manager Rory turned them up even though we told her they were too bright in our eyes. She was really rude and said sorry and walked away. We then asked to be moved and our waitress who was great said ok and moved us. In the mean time Rory stared at us while talking to two men who also looked at our table. No clue what was said but obviously about us. Never have I been treated so rudely by a manager of a restaurant.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Aaron J
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have driven by Hadsten House many times and wrote it off as a cheap motel, as it has that old 1950s motel look about it from the outside. After a recommendation from someone in the area, I booked Hadsten for a recent business trip. I was totally blown away by how nice it is, especially for the bargain price compared to other Central Coast hotels. The room had a couch and gas fire place. The bathroom was incredibly spacious with wood floor and great lighting. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The restaurant is really good as well; I had dinner at the bar and enjoyed their continental breakfast. The staff was extremely friendly!! My only compliant is that I was in an upstairs room right in the middle of the 2 stairways down. That made for a long walk with my luggage. Overall, though, I would not hesitate to stay at Hadsten again or recommend it!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Sao Caetano do Sul, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

We had a great time at this Hadsten hotel. There is a very charming fireplace in the spacious room and the furniture is very nice and confortable. The breakfast is very good with excellent service. My husband and I plan to go back to this same hotel! Solvang is a small European (Danish) town north of Santa Barbara with various wineries nearby. Highly recommended"

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoseTraveller
Sherman Oaks, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

We had a few days off from work, and wanted to explore a place a short roadtrip away. I chose Hadsten house for their 2 night Midweek Spa Package, which included 2 massages, daily breakfast, and a list of free and discounted wine tastings. Then we just stayed an extra night. Prior reviews described poor staff quality. We went there not expecting much, but they answered any of our questions, and helped book out spa treatments without any difficulty. The staff appear young, and may not have been trained well in customer service. The breakfast staff were excellent. The spa is located on the premises, but their masseuses are on call, and you will need to plan and schedule ahead of time. The massages were excellent!
The rooms were very clean. But you are able to hear the street adjacent to the hotel, and the refrigerator in the room was a bit noisy. The hotel is close to everything, including Los Olivos. It is walking distance to all of the attractions, restaurants, and stores of Solvang. We even took a morning run to scope out the shops and restaurants we wanted to visit.
I highly recommend this hotel. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KayKG
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Hadsten House was a great place to stay in Solvang. Their restaurant is really good and their spa is incredible. I got the most amazing honey facial and a really relaxing massage when I stayed there for a weekend getaway. Solvang is a cute little European-inspired village near Santa Barbara. It's close to tons of awesome restaurants and wineries. Definitely worth a visit!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cupertino, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed at the Hadsten House one night while driving to San Diego. We got upgraded to a suite at no additional charge, which was a great and welcome surprise. Staff was very helpful, the rooms were nice. Overall, our stay was a pleasant experience. I highly recommend the place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rock124
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solvang
Hotel Corque
Holiday Inn Express Solvang
Santa Ynez Inn
Santa Ynez Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez

Been to Hadsten House? Share your experiences!